Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 PM

19 posts, read 38,700 times

Advertisements

Wanting to gather people's views of living in this area of Oregon. Want to hear all about the good and the bad! The little things and the odd things! What your personal thoughts are. Coos Bay and North Bend area and Coos county as well, is the desired area of interest. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Probably a decent place to retire if provided you like the landscape and weather.

Probably not a decent place to start any kind of career if you are young.

I had a number of friends who grew up in Coos Bay. They are all long gone. Got out when they left for college and never looked back.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:48 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis_finder View Post
Wanting to gather people's views of living in this area of Oregon. Want to hear all about the good and the bad! The little things and the odd things! What your personal thoughts are. Coos Bay and North Bend area and Coos county as well, is the desired area of interest. Thank you!
Well since in your last thread you said you need to travel all over the country, I'll start with that. Will one flight a day to San Francisco and occasional seasonal service to Denver be enough for you? Also with the lack of airline competition, will you be able to afford the $500 to $1000 fares, each time you need to travel?

That and if you can stand the rain and limited sunshine, I'm sure you would love the Coos Bay Area.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I think the risk of tsunami wiping out the Oregon and Washington coast is too much to make living there wise.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think the risk of tsunami wiping out the Oregon and Washington coast is too much to make living there wise.
Is it really necessary, to turn every single thread on this forum into a "The Sky is Falling" we are all going to die in a tsunami thread?

Old 09-23-2019, 11:33 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Someone who is considering moving to the coast should be aware of the risk. If they want to take that risk, fine.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well since in your last thread you said you need to travel all over the country, I'll start with that. Will one flight a day to San Francisco and occasional seasonal service to Denver be enough for you? Also with the lack of airline competition, will you be able to afford the $500 to $1000 fares, each time you need to travel?

That and if you can stand the rain and limited sunshine, I'm sure you would love the Coos Bay Area.
oh Cloudy Dayz

Been in Lincoln city for almost 2 years. Travel from this location has worked out great and family doing well. My question on this post, is not about the needs for my job or anything. I am just asking a direct question for an investment opportunity and folks who are retiring. So no worries for my needs, they have been met and loving the Oregon Coast every day! So I am just wanting peoples personal experiences living there or the surrounding area. Nothing to fine tune as far as the question, just looking for people to share their experience.

as always thank you for your thoughts.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Someone who is considering moving to the coast should be aware of the risk. If they want to take that risk, fine.
Thanks for your warning!
But not really the question asked. Any area has the potential for risk nature to man-made.
Thanks for answering.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:09 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
oh Cloudy Dayz

Been in Lincoln city for almost 2 years. Travel from this location has worked out great and family doing well. My question on this post, is not about the needs for my job or anything. I am just asking a direct question for an investment opportunity and folks who are retiring. So no worries for my needs, they have been met and loving the Oregon Coast every day! So I am just wanting peoples personal experiences living there or the surrounding area. Nothing to fine tune as far as the question, just looking for people to share their experience.

Compared to Lincoln City, I'd say that Coos Bay is the LEAST touristy city on the Pacific Coast. It is still clinging to old resource economy industries more than any other town and is going to have the lowest concentration of things like AirB&Bs and tourist shops compared to pretty much any other town along the coast.

If that is what you are looking for then great. If you think as some do that the tourist economy is eventually going to take off on the Coos Bay area and that it has untapped potential, then great. Not so many tourist shops to compete with. On the other hand, if you expect a lot of wealthy weekend traffic from Portland like you might see in Cannon Beach then you'll likely be disappointed.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
oh Cloudy Dayz

I'm happy that Lincoln City is working out well for you. I like living in the Coos Bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon