Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times

Advertisements

I have no opinion about Florence but if you want a gated development there is one to the north, "South View".

As mentioned earlier living on the coast is not my cup of tea but if you must take a look at Brookings and Gold Beach. The weather is decent and you are not far from Crescent city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 08:53 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Piece of cake come here work your tail off for 30 years scrimp save buy small properties pay them off retire early
Listen to everyone around you whine about lack of opportunity 24/7 and discrimination

Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I have no opinion about Florence but if you want a gated development there is one to the north, "South View".
There are many gated communities in Florence besides that one.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Give the OP a list or location,

Old 11-29-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:

If the OP, who hasn't even been here in over two-and-a-half months, were interested in such a list (and from the OP's posts, I highly doubt it) he/she could get that information from a real estate agent. They are numerous here, and I don't have them memorized.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-29-2020 at 01:45 AM..

Old 11-29-2020, 07:20 PM

15,311 posts, read 8,926,726 times
Quote:
Greentrees Village, Inc.
Coast Village Property
Florentine Estates
Fairway Estates
Sandpines East

Old 11-29-2020, 08:40 PM

^There are way more than that — like several times over. Surface Google searches don't tell the whole story. Anyone who's actually interested, which no one in this thread seems to be, should contact a local real estate agent.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:52 PM

859 posts, read 1,056,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^ I think it was you who said in another thread that these small Oregon towns are declining to the point where they can't be brought back...I agree. Florence and a few other places has the added element of a constantly revolving door of out-of-state retirees, many of whom immediately start complaining the moment they arrive because things were different in California.

Here's the latest Florence nonsense: a developer is building a few high-end homes up by the golf course, and the crying about how these aren't going to be affordable for the average resident has already reached fever pitch. In the meantime, another developer has plans for some apartments and single-family homes in another part of town that, while not specifically designated as low-income properties, will help ease the housing crunch and possibly be affordable for some of the blue-collar families, but the crying and screaming from Florence "residents" has been nearly nonstop since this project began because it will increase traffic on the main road where the gated communities are located, and there has been a huge community effort to try to get this project derailed.

Meanwhile, across town in a more low-rent area, someone has built 12 smallish homes for low-income buyers, and they look like a pretty good deal for those with modest incomes, but they're having trouble finding enough applicants for these properties.

Some poor sap is trying to start a Burger King franchise on Highway 101, and true to form, the transplants are crying to beat the band because it's "not what they moved to Florence for." These people will support any cute little Bay Street bistro with precious, overpriced food and nowhere to park, but heaven forbid they should have to drive past a Burger King to get there. I don't eat fast food myself and won't be patronizing the new Burger King, but I'm not interested in trying to deny someone else the opportunity to make a family-wage living — it's my understanding that these franchisees do fairly well. And the local teenagers can always use another employment option. But the hypocrisy reaches new levels because many of those opposing the Burger King are the same people salivating at the very mention of In and Out Burger, another California scourge.

I am moving to Washington and won't miss much about Florence.
Newport to Whidbey Island, last year. Half the rain, no state income tax. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited by wolfdog; 11-29-2020 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-30-2020, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I am moving to Washington and won't miss much about Florence.
as have 250 OR and CA families / month for the last 20 yrs (to only ONE of 39 WA counties)

Plenty of 'extensions' of CA in every western lower 48 state, you will NOT be escaping that.

North Dakota is fairly free of CA exiles. Nearby MN and WI have plenty of them.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
as have 250 OR and CA families / month for the last 20 yrs (to only ONE of 39 WA counties)

Plenty of 'extensions' of CA in every western lower 48 state, you will NOT be escaping that.

North Dakota is fairly free of CA exiles. Nearby MN and WI have plenty of them.
Yeah, I didn't say the reason I'm moving to Washington is to escape the CA transplants; I want some horse property and to be closer to SEATAC. Nonetheless, no matter where I move in WA, the percentage of them is going to be less than Florence, so that's just icing on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon