Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

I explored the Hoyt Arboretum yesterday and it was definitely a good recommendation. It looks like fall colors are peaking right now in the park and it was truly beautiful out. Here are a few photos from the trip.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 06:01 PM

330 posts, read 428,607 times
stunning, Derek, thank you for sharing!

I drove to Hood River this morning and the colors are definitely peaking.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
What I hate about fall color is that just about the time it gets cool enough for a color change, the rain and wind come in and ruin it all.

I remember when my kids and I visited some upper New York relatives.
They were making huge piles of dried up leaves and jumping into them.

My kids wouldn't do it.
When asked why, they responded that they did not want to be covered with baby slugs.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
stunning, Derek, thank you for sharing!

I drove to Hood River this morning and the colors are definitely peaking.
Yes, I've heard the Gorge is at peak as well.

Things were changing quickly even while I was in Washington park on Saturday. Lots of leaves were falling from the trees.

My mother-in-law is coming out to visit later this week for her first time in the PNW. I wonder if all the leaves will be gone by then? I guess it depends how much wind we get and which spots are further along than others.

Derek

Old 10-21-2019, 08:26 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I've heard the Gorge is at peak as well.

Things were changing quickly even while I was in Washington park on Saturday. Lots of leaves were falling from the trees.

My mother-in-law is coming out to visit later this week for her first time in the PNW. I wonder if all the leaves will be gone by then? I guess it depends how much wind we get and which spots are further along than others.

Derek
Yes, we drove out to Hood River for apples yesterday. Leaves were definitely peaking and it was prettier than I remembered with all the yellow alders and maples mixed in with the fir trees. Despite the scattered rain showers. Lots of people taking photos of fall color amidst the mist from the Cape Horn lookouts on the WA side with big lenses and tripods.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes, we drove out to Hood River for apples yesterday. Leaves were definitely peaking and it was prettier than I remembered with all the yellow alders and maples mixed in with the fir trees. Despite the scattered rain showers. Lots of people taking photos of fall color amidst the mist from the Cape Horn lookouts on the WA side with big lenses and tripods.
I concur regarding the Gorge. Fall colors are peaking right now if not slightly past peak. I headed to a few waterfalls today and they were amazing with fall colors. These places are normally beautiful in and of themselves. But fall adds another dimension to their beauty. I was a bit shell shocked when I say Multnomah at sunrise although I've been many times. It was stunning.

Derek

Old 10-26-2019, 04:29 AM

483 posts, read 353,819 times
I've always loved the Jewell Meadows area if

1. The Roosevelt Elk have arrived
2. It's a crsip, clear day

The trees are mostly coniferous but there are enough deciduous to make it a gorgeous drive if you're headed to Astoria.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Really nice colors in NE and central Portland on 7 Nov, East side is 'blowing-off' and weekend rain will drop leaves.

Get out and enjoy these clear days and afternoon / sunrise and sunset are Fall Special! (Orange)

I did areas North of I-84 to Interstate Ave an UofP (St johns on the west and east to 57th / McCully. (Concordia and Alameda) were spectacular colors and leaves still hanging on.
https://www.pdxlisted.com/neighborhoods/

Good time to walk the campuses (L&C, UofP, Reed, Concordia, Warner Pacific) and the nearby parks. Had a picturesque lunch on the Willamette at Old Spaghetti Factory. (2PM midweek = riverside seating (indoors))

Enjoy it while you can, we have had a very dry November! (winter will come, I suited up my Subie with 4x studs today for our frequent West Gorge Ice (Fortunately I have spare cars so stud only run on ice and snowpack)). SAD we how have to deal with SALT, as Subie will now not last like my 43 yo daily drivers have. Too bad, there are excellent alternatives to SALT (boo!). (Stay Home!) School should not be transporting in bad conditions anyway... Our kids never spent one day in school, they survived and thrived! (now 15 yrs beyond college)

Love the Fall, got in some nice hikes, Pics, smells, crunchy leaves today, Did 100+ laps in the Stevenson Pool tonight, and sitting in front of the woodstove 41F with 38 mph gusts late night (keeping Asia Factories running)... (enjoying the clear moonlight) Watching Barges, trains, trucks deal with Gorge winds.

Some really good History Pubs coming up so you can travel around and see the remaining Fall Colors and get an education too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon