U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM

61 posts, read 250,281 times

Advertisements

I had the pleasure of visiting these 3 picturesque communities recently. The Rouge River Valley was absolutely beautiful!

However, I informed that there was a KKK office in White City and in Grants Pass and Medford I was told that they still have Sundowner Laws on the books. These laws stated if you are a person of Color you could be stopped and detained after Sundown.

Has anyone ever heard of this before regarding this area of Oregon?
Rate this post positively

Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM

61,184 posts, read 52,548,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasMetaphor View Post
I had the pleasure of visiting these 3 picturesque communities recently. The Rouge River Valley was absolutely beautiful!

However, I informed that there was a KKK office in White City and in Grants Pass and Medford I was told that they still have Sundowner Laws on the books. These laws stated if you are a person of Color you could be stopped and detained after Sundown.

Has anyone ever heard of this before regarding this area of Oregon?
I don't know if those laws are in the books today, but they were certain in the books years ago(I am speaking specifically the 1950's). In fact, blacks were not allowed to live in most places in Oregon outside of a specific part of Portland,OR at the beginning of the 20th century. Oregon actually had a law in the books prohibiting blacks from settling there until 1926. It was ignored to a certain degree but there have been many issues in Oregon.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 52,316 times
Default Sun downer Laws

Let me tell ya. Inglewood CA had a Sun Downer law in the 1950's. Inglewood is one of the most afluent Black Cites in California now. So i really don't think any city in the U.S. would still recognize such a thing. Not even in the South.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,341,164 times
Just because there is a klan "office" in a city does not mean anything about the city as a whole. There are several White Supremacist groups in New York City, and there is an Aryan Nations chapter in Newark New Jersey...GRANTED, I suppose they have to keep a loooooowwwwww profile, but they are still there.

Just look at the Southern Poverty Law Center's map of racist organizations, SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map they're everywhere...so what? They sure as hell don't scare me. Don't let that alone keep you from moving somewhere.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:45 PM

14,936 posts, read 36,679,955 times
We have lots of laws "on the books" that are no longer legal. You will occasionally see on a deed of trust for a home that no "negro" can own the home. Still on the deed, and of course not legal.

Hate crimes get recorded so if you are looking to relocate to that area, I would just call the FBI and see what types of hate crimes have occured there.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Just because there is a klan "office" in a city does not mean anything about the city as a whole. There are several White Supremacist groups in New York City, and there is an Aryan Nations chapter in Newark New Jersey...GRANTED, I suppose they have to keep a loooooowwwwww profile, but they are still there.

Just look at the Southern Poverty Law Center's map of racist organizations, SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map they're everywhere...so what? They sure as hell don't scare me. Don't let that alone keep you from moving somewhere.
I have met a lot of people of color from Oakland CA where there is a big push for many Black Families to move to the Grants Pass area because of two ministers who want to move their churches. I hope the Grants Pass Community will welcome these wonderful people.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 AM

245 posts, read 606,212 times
actualy there are so few blacks in oregon that there somewhat of a novelty, and like it or not racism is fairly rare among whites that I have met most anywhere, and thats one whole lot of folks in my travels

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
actualy there are so few blacks in oregon that there somewhat of a novelty, and like it or not racism is fairly rare among whites that I have met most anywhere, and thats one whole lot of folks in my travels
That is encouraging to hear Steffan! We are planning a bus trip up there with our church. So Grants Pass here we come! We are estimating and hoping no less than a 100 families will want to relocate in Grants Pass.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:28 AM

245 posts, read 606,212 times
nows the time, property is at a serious low, kinda shaky on jobs though, but i'm thinking that will improve in time

Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 AM

505 posts, read 2,055,057 times
I lived in Southern Oregon for many years, and had never heard of those laws. I worked in Grants Pass for a few years and really liked it.

There are very few African American people in Oregon in general, but the Rogue Valley is becoming more and more like California, and more and more diverse. When I left many months ago I was really noticing how "urban" it had become.

I think there's just as much or as little racism there as there is anywhere. I grew up in Louisiana, and always thought it was strange that people pegged me as being a racist as soon as they knew where I grew up, then they'd throw out some derogatory racial slur about Hispanics . I think it'd be an excellent idea to move as a congregation so that you wouldn't feel as isolated. Southern Oregon is a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon