Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times

Advertisements

https://companyblog.jcpnewsroom.com/storeclosings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 09:28 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Damn that is terrible news. What next? Will Woolworths and Montgomery Ward be closing stores?

Seriously this is to be expected. It is no secret that JC Penney and Sears are both in unofficial liquidation. They will all be gone, sooner then later. Nothing is going to change the fact.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
I haven't set foot in a JC Penney in 20 years, ever since they quit carrying clothes in my size. I have a 52 inch chest, with shoulders to match. Penneys doesn't stock anything larger than a 48. I wear 15EEE shoes. Penney's doesn't stock anything larger than a 13D.

I understand that women spend most of the money in the US, but men buy things too. I just did a search for tools at JC Penney. "Your filter returned 0 results."

The same thing happened when Rite Aid bought out Payless. They removed anything interesting to men from the store, so I just don't go there any more.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:03 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The same thing happened when Rite Aid bought out Payless. They removed anything interesting to men from the store, so I just don't go there any more.
Men don't buy pharmaceutical products? Bandages? Fungal powder? Greeting cards?

I guess the "Men's hair products" section was just a figment of my imagination.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:05 PM

5,468 posts, read 7,761,908 times
Quote:
I haven't set foot in a JC Penney in 20 years, ever since they quit carrying clothes in my size. I have a 52 inch chest, with shoulders to match. Penneys doesn't stock anything larger than a 48. I wear 15EEE shoes. Penney's doesn't stock anything larger than a 13D.

I understand that women spend most of the money in the US, but men buy things too. I just did a search for tools at JC Penney. "Your filter returned 0 results."

When I was a kid in the 70s my mom would take us clothes shopping at Sears and Penney's. Those were the traditional spots.

These days my kids the same age basically get their clothes at Target, Fred Meyer, and Costco. Or the mall shops like Aeropostale. Myself, what clothes I buy usually come from Costco. I don't think any of my kids have ever been inside a Sears or Penney's I wouldn't even know where the nearest one is.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Men don't buy pharmaceutical products? Bandages? Fungal powder? Greeting cards?

I guess the "Men's hair products" section was just a figment of my imagination.
You can buy men's hair products, bandages and athlete's foot powder in any grocery store. When it was Payless you could buy a camera, power tools, or shotgun shells. Have you looked at the magazine rack? Not a picture of a naked woman to be found. There's no reason for a man to ever set foot in the place.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:08 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,771 times
Quote:
When it was Payless you could buy a camera, power tools, or shotgun shells. Have you looked at the magazine rack? Not a picture of a naked woman to be found. There's no reason for a man to ever set foot in the place.

None of those items had any business ever being in a drugstore, so I'm glad they're not in there.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
The bigger question is when these big malls finally fail what becomes of them? Many have already been torn down. In Seattle, Northgate mall is being repurposed as a hotel/residential/hockey center. Sounds pretty proactive to me.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 PM

5,468 posts, read 7,761,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The bigger question is when these big malls finally fail what becomes of them? Many have already been torn down. In Seattle, Northgate mall is being repurposed as a hotel/residential/hockey center. Sounds pretty proactive to me.
Here's one that was converted into housing

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...tments-2016-10

Old 06-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
None of those items had any business ever being in a drugstore, so I'm glad they're not in there.
You could say the same about makeup and panty hose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon