U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 02:33 PM

239 posts, read 407,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I ain't gotta wear no stinkin' mask!"

Meanwhile, here in Taiwan the coronavirus pandemic is virtually over because 95% of the population voluntarily wore face masks from Day 1 and the government made them readily available to everyone for 15 cents each. We haven't had a new case of coronavirus in three weeks and the last death was six weeks ago. 6 people total out of a population of 24 million died. No lockdown required. Schools, restaurants, businesses remained open the whole time. The only real fallout was to the tourism and travel industries.

So it goes.
I've been wearing a mask since the beginning of this and have always(still) gotten weird looks. I feel like we've become the land of dumb and dumber.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 04:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,193,933 times
I think government and media are overreacting in some areas. I suspect outdoor contagion is pretty low risk. The beach goers and joggers may be pretty safe, but nobody is tracking that. If health departments were putting signup stations out, volunteers could follow up in 10 and 20 days to ask if they got sick or anyone in their families got sick. CV-19 is not supernaturally contagious like measles. You may be safe enough at the beach or park, but committing suicide if you go to a movie. There really is a lot to be said for fresh air and sunshine.

The need for human contact really is a biological imperative. You can resist it for a while, but over time a lack of human contact will make you sick. There are very real physical and psychological changes to prisoners placed in solitary confinement, and it is considered severe punishment. The need for contact is not entitlement, it is being human.

The picture in my mind is a desert. There is water 100 yards away, but between us and the water is a minefield. We have to have water to survive. We can put it off, but sooner or later we have to take that walk. The trick is to do it without dying.

I feel betrayed by the federal government. True, my county has almost no cases and no deaths at all, but we have only tested half a percent of the population; 1,000 tests in 225,000 people. Identifying contagious people should be our first line of defense. Instead, we're stuck with wearing masks and keeping our distance. I took a dog to the vet this morning and the tech got close enough to hug me. Jeez, woman, keep your distance!

A couple of my friends have come down with CV-19. One was on a ventilator in Washington for 11 days, and is still recovering a month later, with horrible PTSD nightmares. He's a professional musician, and has lost his livelihood. Gig workers do not have an unemployment claim, so he's totally broke and on the verge of being homeless. The other friend lives by herself on the coast, and has been in misery for over a month with a racking cough, headaches, muscular pain, high fever, and she's still not over it. She keeps thinking she is getting better, then relapses. Even if you live through it, you do NOT want to catch this disease.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:14 PM

628 posts, read 172,074 times
I think it's pretty silly to feel betrayed by the feds when they're busting their butts. You can't compare the actions of tiny countries to the US because many of those actions would never fly here, legally, without stripping inalienable rights from our citizens. Hind sight is 20/20 but foresight is damn near blind for stuff like this. If it weren't for China and the WHO lying for 6 weeks to cover this up, we wouldn't have had this spread like it has to the US and to Europe like it has. I feel more betrayed by the WHO than I do the US fed.

You should feel betrayed by people who don't observe reasonable safety measures like social distancing. There were still boroughs in NYC with hoards of people at the park while ~900 people per day in NYC alone were dying of this. Some people just don't give a F* and those are the people not doing their part that make me feel betrayed.

I'm a high risk person and so is the family member I live with. That family member is one of those idiots who wants to immediately go back to normal right now. THAT feels like a flavor of betrayal, that she cares more about getting a hair cut than she does MY potential death.

My fellow countrymen who don't give a flying F for each other and the WHO who I used to respect are the ones I feel betrayed by.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,193,933 times
Don't be too hard on people who don't understand what is going on. Douglas County has been holding steady at 24 cases for a week, with 0 deaths. I wore a mask to town a couple days ago and was getting static for it while standing in line outside. The guys think there are only 24 cases in the county, when they have only tested 1/2 of 1% of the population, 1200 tests for 225,000 people. All you see on the TV news is how great we're doing, when there could be asymptomatic people running around all over. They have no clue. Neither does the rest of the country. For the whole US, we have tested about 2% of the population, mostly in areas where there are outbreaks, like Illinois and NY.

That said, CV is not supernatural, just very contagious. I think we should open outdoor areas like parks and beaches right now. Nail salons are required by state building and fire codes to have great ventilation, and nail techs wear masks because the chemicals will dissolve their livers if they don't. OTOH, there is no way I would get on a bus, train or plane. City buses are still running because many people could not buy groceries without them, but being that close to that many people would make my skin crawl.

I had an ultrasound at Mercy Hospital in Roseburg this week, and thought the staff was rude and arrogant. They screened my temp when I entered, and that was it. They wanted my ID, but didn't wipe it down when they handed it back. They were not wearing gloves or masks. In the time I was there, I never saw them wipe down a counter or clipboard, and there was no hand sanitizer in sight. When I pulled out my baggie of isopropyl alcohol and a washcloth, they told me to put it away. I did, after I washed myself down. They seemed totally clueless that hospitals are a major infection center for all diseases. The news stories about medical workers catching CV-19 make a lot of sense if that is how they act.

A lot of people are pretty dim, and this is very new. It's sometimes hard to remember that the US has had 75,000 deaths, and 61,000 of them were in April, just last month.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:22 PM

11,751 posts, read 5,879,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Don't be too hard on people who don't understand what is going on. Douglas County has been holding steady at 24 cases for a week, with 0 deaths. I wore a mask to town a couple days ago and was getting static for it while standing in line outside. The guys think there are only 24 cases in the county, when they have only tested 1/2 of 1% of the population, 1200 tests for 225,000 people. All you see on the TV news is how great we're doing, when there could be asymptomatic people running around all over. They have no clue. Neither does the rest of the country. For the whole US, we have tested about 2% of the population, mostly in areas where there are outbreaks, like Illinois and NY.

That said, CV is not supernatural, just very contagious. I think we should open outdoor areas like parks and beaches right now. Nail salons are required by state building and fire codes to have great ventilation, and nail techs wear masks because the chemicals will dissolve their livers if they don't. OTOH, there is no way I would get on a bus, train or plane. City buses are still running because many people could not buy groceries without them, but being that close to that many people would make my skin crawl.

I had an ultrasound at Mercy Hospital in Roseburg this week, and thought the staff was rude and arrogant. They screened my temp when I entered, and that was it. They wanted my ID, but didn't wipe it down when they handed it back. They were not wearing gloves or masks. In the time I was there, I never saw them wipe down a counter or clipboard, and there was no hand sanitizer in sight. When I pulled out my baggie of isopropyl alcohol and a washcloth, they told me to put it away. I did, after I washed myself down. They seemed totally clueless that hospitals are a major infection center for all diseases. The news stories about medical workers catching CV-19 make a lot of sense if that is how they act.

A lot of people are pretty dim, and this is very new. It's sometimes hard to remember that the US has had 75,000 deaths, and 61,000 of them were in April, just last month.
The Coos Bay buses were shut down for a week, because the drivers were exposed to COVID-19 by a passenger, who was exposed by a guard at the state prison, who tested positive. I expect the next phase will be the spread in rural areas. Now is the time to stay home, more then ever.
Quote:
COOS COUNTY — Coos County Area Transportation District temporarily shut down its services Wednesday after receiving word that its staff and drivers may have been exposed to COVID-19.

According to David Hope, the general manager at CCAT, a passenger contacted its office Wednesday at about 3:20 p.m. to inform staff that he had been placed on a two week quarantine issued by his employer.

The passenger, who works as a clerk at a convenience store in Coos County, told CCAT that his employer informed him that he had been exposed to a customer who had tested positive for COVID-19, said Hope.
CCAT suspends bus services over possible COVID-19 exposure _ Local News _ theworldlink.com

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 05-08-2020 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 07:39 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,733,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Larry, I just had an IVC filter removed yesterday at Providence Hospital in Medford. They were very cautious when letting people enter the hospital, they checked you for a temp and you had to wear a mask at all times.

This is almost a reminiscence of the 1918 Spanish Flu (H1N1) that the world went through, at that time there was no vaccine for it and over 600,000 Americans died from it, I think world wide it killed something like 20 million people. Today we have this Covid-19 and no vaccine.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:32 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,118,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Larry, I just had an IVC filter removed yesterday at Providence Hospital in Medford. They were very cautious when letting people enter the hospital, they checked you for a temp and you had to wear a mask at all times.
Same experience at all hospitals and clinics here in the Mid-Willamette Valley. I went to a clinic for a routine monthly INR blood exam on Monday. Most of of the 3-story clinic was closed. But for patients permitted in by appointment only, masks were required (no exceptions), as well as applying a sanitizing hand lotion, and temp measured with a no-contact IR thermometer. If you had no mask, they provided one to you. In addition, they checked name and address on a list of those with appointments. This was done at the doors entering the building.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:41 PM

Well, it has finally happened. The anti-science people with the guns have won. Personally I'm not going to be a guinea pig in their little experiment. I'm staying locked down, and will be seeing how this plays out, from the sidelines.

Quote:
These 31 Oregon counties have been approved for Phase 1 of reopening

Counties that qualified for Phase 1 can start reopening on a limited basis beginning Friday, May 15.

What counties are reopened in Oregon_ _ kgw.com

Old 05-15-2020, 07:52 AM

15,200 posts, read 37,962,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well, it has finally happened. The anti-science people with the guns have won. Personally I'm not going to be a guinea pig in their little experiment. I'm staying locked down, and will be seeing how this plays out, from the sidelines.

What counties are reopened in Oregon_ _ kgw.com
You and many others will be sitting it out.

Marion and Polk got denied which was expected. Although the hospital has the capacity we have had too many flare-ups.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You and many others will be sitting it out.

Marion and Polk got denied which was expected. Although the hospital has the capacity we have had too many flare-ups.
I have no idea why Coos County was allowed to reopen. We have 30 current cases. Most of them are prisoners, but the guards have already spread it to the community, and they are releasing the prisoners into the community, without any quarantine.

I really have to wonder how this will even work. I was reading the requirements for personal care services.

Quote:
Personal care services (salons, barber shops, massage, etc.) must:
Make appointments with pre-appointment health check
Maintain a customer log
Maintain Six feet physical distancing between clients
Remove all magazines, newspapers, snacks and beverages from waiting areas
Require face coverings by employees and clients (depending on the services provided)
My barber is 80 years old. He doesn't have any telephone in his shop, and doesn't take appointments. He still reads printed newspapers and doesn't know how to get news from the internet. The dimensions of his shop are probably about 10 feet by 10 feet. Somehow, I don't think he is going to be able to comply with those regulations. I'm starting to have doubts that I will ever get another haircut from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon