Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 PM

247 posts, read 745,107 times

Advertisements

Back to the thread topic: a quaint Oregon town? Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Mosier - in the Columbia River Gorge. Kind of the cut off of the green of the "west side" and the not-so-green of the "east side."

Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,543 times
I moved to silverton a few months ago and think it's quaint and nice, 45 mins to downtown portland and not much traffic, seems like the christmas season was nice here, lots of family events, etc.. everyone i talk to says they love it here and also that "it's a good place to raise kids".. however i do see pink flamingos and falling down gutters, but they don't really bother me.. my son loves the flamingos lol.. the only complaint that i'd ever have is not taking care of history, but sometimes you have to get out there and preserve it yourself, like a few of the murals in town could really use to be spruced up, but i know there are people that volunteer to do this, and if you ever find something in the actual town that bothers you where you live, i say volunteer to make it better! As far as neighborhoods go you can't actually do anything about other people's houses.. i do like neighborhoods w/ sidewalks for walking, and i haven't found a place w/o a sidewalk here yet.. nice park w/ playground (bring a towel- it stays wet) Can't wait to see what the summer is like with the farmer's market & festivals & hopefully SUN... but it really hasn't been bad here- been getting way more sun than i thought we would.. i grew up in WA so i'm used to the weather but was kind of scared moving back the PNW about the rain.. we have driven to the beach, the mountain.. Salem is just maybe 15 mins away... & mt. angel which was mentioned on this post is 4 miles away.. cool covered bridge outside of town... mt. angel is cute, very small, but kind of run down i would say, but very nice little library & cute gazebo! Silverton library is great, love the silver creek, love the antiques stores, the theater, the laundro-mat in downtown is really nice too! very safe, kids walking everywhere, skate-boarding, riding bikes, everyone has a dog to walk! Love the history of the town with the old oak tree & bobbie dog (bobbie dog statue also needs some repairs/ paint!) Love the Oregon Garden & children's garden there & the inn downtown & oregon garden resort look nice for out of town visitors.. everyone says the schools are good here.. Silver Falls state park isn't far & is beautiful & if you are into baseball the Volcanoes play in keizer which is 15 mins drive from here -- we are excited about this since we are used to going and watching a pro team play but there isn't one here, but i think this will do just fine.. overall, feels safe, isn't as foggy as canby for one, and some other areas around that have had fog all day while ours has dissapeared, you really have to compare weather from town to town around here, it can vary pretty greatly as far as fog goes & even sunny days-- I also like Camas in Washington for anyone looking to be a little closer to portland or vancouver... as far as what i've heard silverton is better than salem, keizer, oh, went to stayton and it didn't make a great impression on me.. if you are looking for snow you won't really find it here, we did get a light dusting this year which was enough for me and my son to play in, but you will have to drive toward the mountain to find snow, which is 1 hr 45 min to government camp at mount hood, but you will find snow in the villages of mount hood before you get there as well.. also if you drive towards silver falls state park you will find snow in 10 minutes from town if it is a cold/snowy day, even if it isn't snowing in silverton! but WA definitely gets more snow than OR does, the ave. snowfall per year in Seattle is over 5 inches and portland is only like 2. But i'd rather drive to the mountain than have to shovel my driveway all year.. Aurora was mentioned in this post as being cute but I went there and wasn't what I thought it would be as far as based off of what I could find on the internet.. you really have to go someplace before you move there! I moved here w/out ever coming here first but it was for a job & we knew we wanted to be somewhere in the PNW. If you want to be in the PNW, find a job, then move to a safe area close to your job & start exploring before you buy!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
UPANDAWAYTODAY. We have also visited Silverton and love it there, we have wanted to move there for two years but have been unable to sell our house on the Oregon coast. BAW!!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandawaytoday
..... however i do see pink flamingos and falling down gutters, but they don't really bother me.. my son loves the flamingos lol......

Typical lake in Oregon:

Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM

26 posts, read 58,693 times
I live in Oregon and am wondering where you ended up moving. I have read some of these posts and get a mixed feeling about them. Someone put that Corvallis is "quaint" which it is. (I lived there for 3 years) I have two children, who were in elementary school. There are VERY few family things and children things to do in Corvallis. It is a very college oriented town. Corvallis has a lot of great points. Some really great parks and such. There is one 3 day event in the summer called Da Vinci days and once in awhile the boys and girls club will put on a summer event. There is also a really great kid place at the pool on 9th. That is about it. Albany has some community events that are good for the whole family, but not Corvallis. I was wondering about what you found out about Ashland or and Silverton OR. I was looking into to moving live in Oregon and am wondering where you ended up moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon