Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 12:27 PM

43 posts, read 195,110 times

Advertisements

I certainly understand your reluctance, and I may have thought twice about moving here, if I'd realized the depth of some of the issues. But, having lived all over the country, I guess I've liked and disliked many aspects of everywhere I've lived. I, for one, would love to live on the ocean. It's always been my dream. But California is too expensive. The Oregon coast is too wet. The East is too humid; same for the South. So, I stay in Ashland... at least for now.

Happy hunting. I'd be curious to know where you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 5,016 times
You should check out Grants Pass. It's not too far from Ashland, Josephine Co. has the lowest property taxes in Oregon and it's a fairly conservative area. It's a great place to live.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:41 AM

202 posts, read 186,828 times
Yes, but state taxes on retirement income may kill the deal....

Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
It really depends on the sources of income. Tax sheltered accounts get taxed at withdrawal, so roll traditional IRAs and 401ks into a Roth before you move to Oregon. Pensions, dividends, and interest get taxed as income. Social Security is tax free.

If you are looking along the I-5 corridor, Wolf Creek to Roseburg is probably the least gentrified. Some years ago my wife and I were thinking of moving to Grants Pass. We went shopping, and couldn't find anything comparable to our current home for less than 3x what we could sell our current home for. We decided to stay put.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Thanks. I've run the numbers through various Roth conversion calculators...converting those accts to a Roth at this point does not make sense for us at this stage. We will also draw from a few traditional brokerage and a rather large deferred compensation account, so normal taxes on those. No pension income.

Last edited by NC_Cpl; 06-12-2020 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 07:55 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post

Thanks. I've run the numbers through various Roth conversion calculators...converting those accts to a Roth at this point does not make sense for us at this stage. We will also draw from a few traditional brokerage and a rather large deferred compensation account, so normal taxes on those. No pension income.
Or you could pick a no income tax state like WA.

Derek

Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM

Informative and sincere posts from all...very much appreciated. The current Alameda fire (and recent posts from others here) sealed the deal for us...Ashland is off our list. Thanks to everyone for contributing such great information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon