U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 03:24 PM

229 posts, read 226,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oregon is a hunting and fishing state. No matter where you live in Oregon, your neighbors will have guns. There will be someone in your neighborhood who owns ATVs for their kids. That's a weak reason to avoid rural areas. I once had a sweet, gray haired, 80 year old tenant who owned guns and went deer hunting every year. She was proud of her marksmanship, and incidentally, lived in the middle of town.
The issue isn't having someone living nearby who owns a gun. That doesn't scare me. The issue is living next to someone who does shooting/target practice for 3 hours a day. Or near a range where you might hear guns going off all morning.

Similarly, ATVS or motorcycles (dirt bikes) by themselves aren't the issue. The issue is if you have a neighbor with a 10 acre property and their kids are racing around in ATVs all afternoon and all you hear is the sound of their engines.

Right now I live in a development, we have a homeowners and some ordinances. The house behind me however is zoned differently. The guy who lives there has a German Shepherd tied up outside that barks for hours. And every Sunday he's out there with chainsaws because it seems all he does all summer is cut and split firewood. And on the weekend his kids drive ATVs around so all we hear are the engines.

I would rather avoid those things, which are less likely in a development or neighborhood. There's no shooting within city limits normally, in a town like Corvallis.

As far as ATVs, they are great if used properly. The problem is people go out when the ground is wet, they can cause a ton of trail damage- rutting, humps, washboarding etc. And people often drive them where it's not allowed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 05:01 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,176,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
The issue isn't having someone living nearby who owns a gun. That doesn't scare me. The issue is living next to someone who does shooting/target practice for 3 hours a day. Or near a range where you might hear guns going off all morning.

Similarly, ATVS or motorcycles (dirt bikes) by themselves aren't the issue. The issue is if you have a neighbor with a 10 acre property and their kids are racing around in ATVs all afternoon and all you hear is the sound of their engines.

Right now I live in a development, we have a homeowners and some ordinances. The house behind me however is zoned differently. The guy who lives there has a German Shepherd tied up outside that barks for hours. And every Sunday he's out there with chainsaws because it seems all he does all summer is cut and split firewood. And on the weekend his kids drive ATVs around so all we hear are the engines.

I would rather avoid those things, which are less likely in a development or neighborhood. There's no shooting within city limits normally, in a town like Corvallis.

As far as ATVs, they are great if used properly. The problem is people go out when the ground is wet, they can cause a ton of trail damage- rutting, humps, washboarding etc. And people often drive them where it's not allowed.
In the upscale suburbs it's not guns and ATVs and chain saws. It's leaf blowers, lawn mowers, and gas powered string trimmers that I hear every weekend. Plus all the hammering and sawing going on by people who are having their decks re-built and such.

But I take your point. When we lived in Texas we lived next to a rifle range. After a while you don't even hear it anymore but people who come to visit certainly do.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:13 PM

10,665 posts, read 18,052,416 times
Have you considered the towns of Dallas or Monmouth? Wander north on Highway 99W. Silverfall would be the go-to guy for real estate in the mid-Willamette Valley.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:25 PM

197 posts, read 402,530 times
Also, check Lebanon or Sweet Home.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:35 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,176,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Also, check Lebanon or Sweet Home.
Seriously? Those are even further away from Corvallis and more rural/redneck than Albany.

OP is a highly educated 50-something single who presumably wants a social life in addition to space for the dog. That isn't going to happen in Lebanon or Sweet Home.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Lebanon is closer than Dallas or Monmouth and just as secluded. I'm always for small towns and can drive to the cities if I want to be around lots of people. To each his own.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 AM

14,705 posts, read 35,581,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Lebanon is closer than Dallas or Monmouth and just as secluded. I'm always for small towns and can drive to the cities if I want to be around lots of people. To each his own.
I don't think the OP wants small towns. I think to be helpful we need to try and read about what other people want vs. what we personally like.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't think the OP wants small towns. I think to be helpful we need to try and read about what other people want vs. what we personally like.
That's true. When I read someone mention Monmouth, I thought I'd mention the others. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:59 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,709,726 times
Monmouth is at least a college town, only 20 miles from Corvallis on 99W. Corvallis would certainly have a larger percentage of educated people, but then you have to deal with the students. As someone pointed out to me once, if you go on a picnic, you have to live with the yellow jackets.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:23 PM

75 posts, read 164,206 times
I assume the OP is in touch with Realtors in Corvallis?
I live in SW Corvallis and 2 older houses on 1/4 acre lots just came up for sale on Whiteside just down the street (Long Ave) from where I live.
A good friend of mine started the Eco Village Co-Housing and I think a unit in there might be for sale.
The Eco Village is close to the paved & dirt trails in Willamette Park.
There is lots of good biking around Corvallis.
I mainly do road biking now and volunteer at the Corvallis Bicycle Collective.
If you move here get in touch and I can show you some good routes.
The Mid Valley Bike Club is also helpful for introducing new folks to this area's biking possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon