U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 03:45 PM

256 posts, read 59,267 times

Advertisements

I know I'm late to the conversation, but I'll be making similar considerations when I retire in about 10 years. While either Corvallis or Eugene are great options I favor Corvallis. While Eugene is nice since it's in the I-5 corridor it seems a little less unique and busier. Corvallis is also nearer coastal mountains so it's more scenic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 AM

31 posts, read 24,408 times
I too am late to the conversation, but for future readers I'll add a few things. Philomath used to be a rural timber town, but now it's a bedroom community for Corvallis. (I lived there until about 10 months ago.) To the far west side there are some fancy houses with big lots, as well as rural homes with acreage. Philomath is 10-25 minutes closer to the coast than Corvallis is.

Bend is not 1 hour from Corvallis. The drive takes longer because part of the route is mountain driving, one lane each way for a lot of it. During the winter there are periods of time when the mountain passes are closed between Bend and the Willamette Valley (Sweet Home, Lebanon, Albany, Corvallis, etc.).

Albany is denser than Corvallis and not an attractive city, except for the historic part of downtown and some parks.

North Albany is not really a city. It's more like a neighborhood that has a shopping center. Residents pay taxes to Benton County instead of Linn County.

Monmouth is home to a small, sweet university. But it's a small town. I wouldn't recommend it to a divorced person seeking a social life. The north part of Corvallis is 30 minutes away but on a state highway with one lane in each direction. During peak hours it can be slow going. And at population 57,000 or so, Corvallis itself is a small city, it's not like it has endless opportunities for socializing.

Having kids going to school in a place is not sufficient reason to relocate there IMO. Even so, the Valley is a wonderful place to live. The cost of living anywhere Eugene to Portland continues to go up fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon