U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 04:55 PM

18,671 posts, read 10,988,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are there any ways Oregon is better than WA? (sales, college)
It's farther South. And my old Navy room mate from 1966 lives there.
And that's nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 05:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 3,496,965 times
I can't believe I've missed this thread for this long

IMO, What you don't like about Washington, then Oregon would be more towards your liking.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:30 PM

256 posts, read 59,267 times
WA resident here. My take on OR's advantages:

+ More progressive tax system (income tax is generally more beneficial for lower-income persons).
+ Less crowded overall.
+ Better coast. The OR coast is more accessible and has more amenities. While the WA coast is beautiful and rugged, there are fewer interesting cities/towns and it's farther away from most populated areas.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:49 PM

Oh, and also...

+ The vast Oregon desert is more interesting.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:06 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,761,665 times
Advantages to Oregon....

Lower population.
Closer to decent winter weather.

Better roads.
Better fishing.
Much darker night skies for astronomy.
Better desert....Washington's desert has disappeared due to Grand Coulee.

Advantages to Washington....

Better schools....still not as good as Montana, but better than Oregon
Much better red wines..... it is a push on white wines.
Washington politics dominated by huge Corporations...."we have the best government money can buy".
Better internet and public power in eastern Washington.
Better medical care.
Much lower taxes no matter your income level, better government services.

I was once at a economist conference and had lunch with a economist with the state of Oregon. I asked him...."where other than roads does the state of Oregon spend its tax money"??? In Oregon, you get to pay taxes and get very little in return.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:17 PM

Consistently better Division 1 college track and field, football and baseball, Not bad for a state with just 4 million people.

It's called the Oregon Territory and the Oregon Trail.
Better waterfalls.
There is a lava tube ice cave.
Interesting coastline. You can own beach property but not the beach.
We have a Bundy.
Some very empty counties

Last edited by leastprime; 09-09-2020 at 07:29 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Oregon has Ducks that make puppies out of bad dogs.
More wintering ducks, geese, migratory water fowl.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I was once at a economist conference and had lunch with a economist with the state of Oregon. I asked him...."where other than roads does the state of Oregon spend its tax money"??? In Oregon, you get to pay taxes and get very little in return.
Oregon's income tax is more progressive than Washington's sales tax for lower income persons. Washington's sales tax is regressive, falling hardest on those who can least afford it.

In both areas overall taxation depends largely on particular counties and cities. In WA, King County and Seattle have high taxes, but also better amenities than anywhere else in the state.

Vancouver WA is very much the best of both worlds since it has neither an income nor sales tax.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,102 posts, read 45,179,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
Oregon's income tax is more progressive than Washington's sales tax for lower income persons. Washington's sales tax is regressive, falling hardest on those who can least afford it.

In both areas overall taxation depends largely on particular counties and cities. In WA, King County and Seattle have high taxes, but also better amenities than anywhere else in the state.

Vancouver WA is very much the best of both worlds since it has neither an income nor sales tax.

There is a very convenient place to pay your WA "Use Tax" (if you buy an item in Oregon and intend to use it in WA. )
WA DOR
Located in: Vancouver Plaza
Address: 8008 NE Fourth Plain Blvd #320, Vancouver, WA 98662

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...4d-122.5922854

You can just mail it in during Covid, or submit it with your 'quarterlies' (Which all WA businesses must file (and pay Use and Personal Property tax, and Sales tax they have collected from doing business in WA))

https://dor.wa.gov/

personally I do not see the sales tax as hard on those who can least afford it.

Food (unprepared) is not taxed, and those with EBT / SNAP can buy a whole lot more food than most of us feeding the family out of our own pockets. (Family of 4 can get $646 . month in benefits and still earn $4,292)

We fed our family of 4 on $100 / month making a whole lot less than $4k / month income. We ate very well (too well).

Join the fun and pay more taxes at WA DOR.
Lots of online training classes to get you all prepared to do so.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:17 AM

We don't get charged a sales tax for take-out food (it's gratis) at the local community kitchen, Redmond WA.
I think we are at the lower end of Redmond's average household income, let me check...yep, way below the average, according to City-Data.com

I don't tell DW that the canned PorknBeans, canned China AppleSauce, FM Spaghetti, etc, probably cost me about $5/item cash donations. We don't even go to Church where I get the food. I think the food given away is a lost leader for those who can make donations (tax). I did score this week with 2 nice zucchini(i) that they begging me to take... We used to have a big garden in Oregon, three zucchini plants maximum. Miss them pole beans and tomatoes which are hard to grow in western WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon