Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 05:11 PM

330 posts, read 428,308 times

Advertisements

awesome, thank you Derek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 02:01 AM

85 posts, read 69,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroyce View Post
better weather year round

That’s misleading.

In the population centers, Washington has “better weather”, considering that Portland has markedly hotter summers AND worse winters (courtesy of The Gorge).

Next time summer temps hit 100 in Portland, remind yourself that Seattle has done so approximately 3 times in recorded history.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManFromGlad View Post
That’s misleading.

In the population centers, Washington has “better weather”, considering that Portland has markedly hotter summers AND worse winters (courtesy of The Gorge).

Next time summer temps hit 100 in Portland, remind yourself that Seattle has done so approximately 3 times in recorded history.
Agreed about the weather. Both W WA and W OR are both rainy most of the year. There are slight differences but to say Oregon has better weather is a stretch.

As for this Ducks better than Huskies, it depends on where you live and/or where you went to school. More importantly, it depends on a historical timeline. Here are the facts for the football programs:

Number of Rose Bowl appearances: (since 1980)

Washington 7
Oregon 5

Number of Rose Bowl wins:

Washington 4
Oregon 3

Top 20 poll finishes:

Washington 16
Oregon 15

Top 10 poll finishes:

Washington 6
Oregon 6

Both schools have played in the recent BCS playoff final 4.

All time records:

Washington 60
Oregon 47
Ties 5

Records since 1950:

Washington 39
Oregon 29

But, yes, in recent history it has been Ducks.

Records since 1990:

Washington 10
Oregon 19

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-07-2021 at 08:24 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 10:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Now that this subject is still fresh in my mind, I will offer something that is not better than Washington. The skitzo gas pumping situation in Oregon. I was ok with the no self service law that existed before, but now it is apparently by county population. Fine, if you know what county is eligible, but not fine if you are traveling from another state or county. Most stations don’t make this clear with their signage. I was going back to WA and stopped somewhere between Salem and Portland. I was actually “lectured” about this from a clerk even though it was clear I had no idea with Washington plates. Am I expected to know what county I am in and if they are self serve? What a cluster....

Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Default play (base)ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Agreed about the weather. Both W WA and W OR are both rainy most of the year. There are slight differences but to say Oregon has better weather is a stretch.

As for this Ducks better than Huskies, it depends on where you live and/or where you went to school. More importantly, it depends on a historical timeline. Here are the facts for the football programs:

Number of Rose Bowl appearances: (since 1980)

Washington 7
Oregon 5

Number of Rose Bowl wins:

Washington 4
Oregon 3

Top 20 poll finishes:

Washington 16
Oregon 15

Top 10 poll finishes:

Washington 6
Oregon 6

Both schools have played in the recent BCS playoff final 4.

All time records:

Washington 60
Oregon 47
Ties 5

Records since 1950:

Washington 39
Oregon 29

But, yes, in recent history it has been Ducks.

Records since 1990:

Washington 10
Oregon 19
Oregon State has six College World Series appearances, and three titles, in this century.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:24 PM

92 posts, read 87,095 times
WA in a nutshell...wife and I pulled into a deserted campground, set up camp on a nice river site, put our $ in the fee box. Few hours later, 'ranger rita' drives in, empties the fee box, drives to our camp site and explains we need to either pay another $10 or move camp, because we had paid for a regular site, and we were actually in a 'premium' site. I looked around, pointed to the empty campsites...'really?"..."yes, either pay or move."
We have spent decades travelling throughout the western states - WA has easily the most rigid, fenced off, limited access to the outdoors of all that we have spent time in. So we quit going there.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:32 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Now that this subject is still fresh in my mind, I will offer something that is not better than Washington. The skitzo gas pumping situation in Oregon. I was ok with the no self service law that existed before, but now it is apparently by county population. Fine, if you know what county is eligible, but not fine if you are traveling from another state or county. Most stations don’t make this clear with their signage. I was going back to WA and stopped somewhere between Salem and Portland. I was actually “lectured” about this from a clerk even though it was clear I had no idea with Washington plates. Am I expected to know what county I am in and if they are self serve? What a cluster....
Agree. Dumb Non value add regulation.

Same can be said of stealing money from citizens via bottle deposit.
Even if you want to go through bother to get your own $ back, its a real pain.
All designed on purpose to not return you your own $ because govt wants it.

Traveled the country and world. Thanks to hobo invasion, OR is now one of dirtiest places in country, NVA bottle collection does nothing except accelerate govt theft.

OR govt is very corrupt.

Apparently though, most folks want it that way as they continue to vote same way YOY.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
The gas pumping law has been around 70 years, LOL, written long before liberals were in charge of anything in the state. Now it is a 3rd rail because the gas station attendants are about 10k strong and nobody wants them unemployed.

They relaxed it a few years ago for rural areas.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:16 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Originally, gas pumps were much more difficult to operate for untrained people. For one thing, they didn't have automatic shut-offs, so it was easy to have overflows – and if the person experiencing the overflow panicked, and pulled the nozzle out without turning it off, gasoline would spray everywhere. Because of this, self-serve was illegal all over the United States, not just in Oregon.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:05 AM

330 posts, read 428,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The gas pumping law has been around 70 years, LOL, written long before liberals were in charge of anything in the state. Now it is a 3rd rail because the gas station attendants are about 10k strong and nobody wants them unemployed.

They relaxed it a few years ago for rural areas.
there are a lot of good reasons for it but it took me some getting used to when I moved here. now, I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon