U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:14 AM

7,491 posts, read 4,894,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Aah you're a tough guy - you can handle it.

There are so many positions ALWAYS available that offer greater future potential that I contend these are NVA roles and do not need to be MANDATED by law.

If there was real need for this work, companies in all parts of country would readily offer the service as a competitive advantage to draw in sales. Given that it is generally NOT offered where NOT mandated, it is a completely useless service to society at large.

I do understand that it will not go away here but it should.
I don't call people a typical anything so I'll appreciate it if you keep that kind of insulting derision to yourself and show people the respect they deserve. I get that you don't have much respect for anyone who doesn't share your political view, but you can keep a lid on that.

The gas law was never a service, it was a safety regulation in the days before automatic gas pumps. Most states' gas stations made the transition away from full service in the 1980s. Oregon put this to the voters in 1983 and the voted to keep the law. That was back when Oregon was a Republican state. If the gas law was going to be done away with it should have happened then, decades ago. Now we are in a catch 22.

I might agree if Oregon was a state with a stronger working class economy. But it's not. Oregon has a bifurcated highly inequitable economy with few good working class jobs for unskilled and semi skilled workers. These 10k people, if put out of work by legislative fiat, would struggle to be absorbed into other sectors. With the pandemic effects there are not even service jobs anymore for them. Many of them would just add to the unemployed ranks and cost us all money. A few would become homeless and we have enough homeless as it is.

In any case it would need to go the voters.

Last edited by redguard57; 04-28-2021 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 11:12 PM

7,926 posts, read 5,607,313 times
As I posted earlier, I have no problem with no self serve. But good gawd don’t make it only for some areas. It is confusing for anyone who is not familiar with your local areas. Just creates another headache in our headache prone world. Get it together Oregon. One way or another make it universal!

Old 05-01-2021, 12:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,725 posts, read 46,104,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
As I posted earlier, I have no problem with no self serve. But good gawd don’t make it only for some areas. It is confusing for anyone who is not familiar with your local areas. Just creates another headache in our headache prone world. Get it together Oregon. One way or another make it universal!
OK... then if you run low on fuel in the boonies on a Friday night... you wait until Monday morning for someone to show up to open the doors of the ONE fuel stop for 100 miles?

I would prefer to be able to be able to stick in my CC, Pump, and get on my way. BUT... that ain't happening in metro areas!

Hopefully Oregon relizes how dangerous electricity is and disallows drivers to plug in their own EV's before 10's of thousands lose their lives.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:47 AM

7,926 posts, read 5,607,313 times
Sarcasm noted. You describe something out of the 1930’s. It is sad that Oregon is so disjointed when it comes to something as simple as selling gas.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:53 AM

26,716 posts, read 35,785,461 times
Quote:
OK... then if you run low on fuel in the boonies on a Friday night... you wait until Monday morning for someone to show up to open the doors of the ONE fuel stop for 100 miles?.......

Or maybe if you are going to be driving around in the boonies late Friday night, you might be smart enough to take a look at your gas gauge before you start out instead of expecting the ether to provide all of your needs by some sort of magic while you wander through life in a self-centered daze, assuming that all of your needs will be met without any effort of your part.

How freakin' hard is it to look at your gas gauge and to make a guess that as you drive around, the needle might go down and eventually hit "empty".

Old 05-01-2021, 01:06 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,114,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I don't call people a typical anything so I'll appreciate it if you keep that kind of insulting derision to yourself and show people the respect they deserve. I get that you don't have much respect for anyone who doesn't share your political view, but you can keep a lid on that.

The gas law was never a service, it was a safety regulation in the days before automatic gas pumps. Most states' gas stations made the transition away from full service in the 1980s. Oregon put this to the voters in 1983 and the voted to keep the law. That was back when Oregon was a Republican state. If the gas law was going to be done away with it should have happened then, decades ago. Now we are in a catch 22.

I might agree if Oregon was a state with a stronger working class economy. But it's not. Oregon has a bifurcated highly inequitable economy with few good working class jobs for unskilled and semi skilled workers. These 10k people, if put out of work by legislative fiat, would struggle to be absorbed into other sectors. With the pandemic effects there are not even service jobs anymore for them. Many of them would just add to the unemployed ranks and cost us all money. A few would become homeless and we have enough homeless as it is.

In any case it would need to go the voters.

You apparently are very sensitive so I will attempt to tread lightly so as to not overtly offend your "snowflakedness"

It is ironic though that, despite your apparent high moral compass, you continually insult the folks of Oregon with unsubstantiated claims of their apparent stupidity and inability to function in what 48 other states do just fine.

Why would this have to be put before voters? Is it in the state constitution? Legislature and governor can change/eliminate laws/regulations without voter consent. They did just that a few years ago on this very issue.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:41 PM

22,458 posts, read 30,056,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
With the pandemic effects there are not even service jobs anymore for them.
You're out of touch. There was a labor shortage before the pandemic arrived on the scene, and it's far worse now. Service industry jobs are going unfilled in Oregon these days.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,725 posts, read 46,104,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or maybe if you are going to be driving around in the boonies late Friday night, you might be smart enough to take a look at your gas gauge before you start out instead of expecting the ether to provide all of your needs by some sort of magic while you wander through life in a self-centered daze, assuming that all of your needs will be met without any effort of your part.

How freakin' hard is it to look at your gas gauge and to make a guess that as you drive around, the needle might go down and eventually hit "empty".
How long does your fill last? (mine only lasts 1250 miles, that is only 20 hrs of driving, I often drive over 12 hrs / day, especially on weekends).

This is not such a problem for me, but it could strand a few unsuspecting Prius drivers / vehicles with short range and in areas of long distance between towns / weekend and evening closures. Motorcycle riders are often limited to 100 - 150 mile max range, and some riders are even out in the boonies on weekends.

IIRC, the point of the lax in the OR rules was to avail access to fuel in remote areas when the businesses are closed

The new rules are fine by me, but "All-or-nothing", as in one rule for OR fueling is a burden on small business owners who cannot staff 24x7 for the chance there may be a couple fuel customers through the night. And... would (has) left quite a few people stranded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon