Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planning4someday View Post
I'm beginning to think I want to visit and stay the night somewhere about mid-way between Brookings and Seattle.

So, a question for anyone familiar with the coast - What would be a decent, clean place to stay?
It would probably put you near Canon Beach/Seaside/Astoria area on the Oregon side.. If you went to the Washington side, there is Long Beach, which is another town with many shops, tourist facilities, 28 mile long beach - just depends on your timeing. There are many choices of places to stay. You can check out Craigs list under vacation housing to check some vacation Bed and Breakfasts or cottages. Of course there are privately owned motels and a few Motel chains scattered throughout. There are even camp grounds with Yurts available for a "not quite roughing it, not quite pampered" type experience. Some of them even have bathrooms in the Yurt.. others have shared facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM

35 posts, read 114,859 times
It'll have to be an actual motel. We love the outdoors ...until the sun goes down

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 PM

158 posts, read 403,572 times
Lincoln City or Newport area... reasonable and fun.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Yes, very narrow zone near Hood River for great climate... 10 miles west is too wet and gloomy, 10 miles east is pretty dry with ticks and rattlesnakes, but Hood River and White Salmon, WA are worth a look.

I find the coast to be more gloomy in the sumer than the gorge.

I'd look at Roseburg and vicinity, and also Yachats while checking out the coast.

Seems a well defined route according to your criteria would avoid much of the wet side (Seattle > Eugene) excluding Sequim and Port Townsend, WA, then hang over the hill to Wenatchee, down through Yakima, Goldendale, Hood River, Bend, then drop over to Roseburg and on out to the OR coast. Only a long day's drive. (probably -2)

I did the pre 50 retirement thing and haven't been threatened by anyone 'profiling' me as an ole cogger.

but... I take multiple trips to a location during the WORST weather when deciding on a spot. I also stay in residential guest homes rather than B&B's and motels to get more 'first-hand' info and to establish a communication line for future info. Do a 'preview' plan and try to hit some community events along your lines of interest (garden, hiking, camera, book club meeting...) Stop in and talk to the tax assessor, they are not too busy in July. Also talk to the building officials if that is part of your plan. They can shed some real light on the area... Well drillers and septic installers are good folks to chat with too. Hit the local cafes early and late in the day and strike up conversations with locals.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,433 times
JanB,

I love your suggestions. That's a great way to approach an upcoming moving decision. Bravo!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM

I think we probably got close to worst case weather in Sequim in January, and that didn't scare me off.

I would definitely want to re-visit any place in Oregon that really intrigues us on this trip, in the middle of winter. I'd also like to see Sequim in the summer, but I guess that's not to be, this year anyway.

Having an anti-social husband cuts down on the chatting up of the locals, unfortunately. But wherever we move, I think we both care more about the environment and climate than the people, to be perfectly honest. As long as folks aren't viciously hostile, we'll be fine - I think.

It'll be a long and winding road this summer... All in 5 days.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 PM

And, where to eat? What are the best places to eat along the way?

I'm tentatively mapping out the route:

Seattle to Bend, but by way of the Gorge - so to Portland, east to the Dalles, and then south to Bend.

From Bend, through Klamath Falls, probably staying in Ashland.

From Ashland, through Medford and Grants Pass, to Brookings - probably staying in or near Brookings.

And, the coast - up from Brookings - through Gold Beach, Bandon, Coos Bay, Newport - to somewhere in the Lincoln City area, where we'll probably stay the night. Anyone know anything about Otter Rock?

From there, back to Seattle, clinging to the coast as long as we can.

But with this route, I'm kind of blowing off everything down I-99 - Salem, Eugene, etc. Is that a huge mistake?

What am I missing, where else should be a must see? Where to eat along the way?

Any and all comments and suggestions welcome.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 PM

103 posts, read 523,887 times
WOW that is going to be some hardcore driving.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 PM

I'll be over 5 days - it works out to about 5 hours a day on average - some more, some less. So we won't be spending a lot of time in any single locale. But, I think first impressions will tell us a lot over whether we want to spend more time in a particular place to help with a final decision.

Ideally, we'll be buying some land next year. If we've made up our minds by then.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
When I read your original post I thought "Sequim" right away... we just spent a year up in the Seattle area and when the weather was gloomy and grey and misty everywhere else, we'd head over there and remember what a bit of sun looked like! It was lovely there.

As far as places to stay on the coast - I highly recommend yurts but as anyone will tell you - anyplace on the coast books up quickly, yurts especially. I believe they begin reserving them 9 months in advance? You can google Oregon State Parks yurts or go to reserveamerica.com you can learn more...

They have yurts with little kitchenettes and showers/bathrooms (deluxe yurts) and also sweet cabins. In our experience most of the hotels you will find on the coast are outdated. They can be clean and decent if you just want to sleep for the night and have a shower. Most people we know - and this includes retired people - prefer the yurts as they are newer, very clean, cozy, and warm. They have doors that lock and electricity and so on... and you also have the fire pit outside for fun!

July can be hot and many places in the PNW do not have air conditioning. The coast is where everyone goes to cool off.

There are many travel DVD's you might be able to find regarding Oregon's waterfalls and beautiful places. Maybe check with your local library?

I also highly urge anyone coming to Oregon to not leave until you've seen Crater Lake. It's amazing!

Good luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon