Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 09:56 AM

10,004 posts, read 7,141,761 times

Advertisements

There is no exagerration of these fires. Basically, the fire season in Oregon in 2020 is 3 times worse than normal and it's threatening much more populated areas than it nornally does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 12:12 PM

15,190 posts, read 8,778,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Fires are mostly going to be a *personal* problem for you if you choose to live in rural forested areas or along the exurban/wildland fringe. The towns getting burned (which is tragic) are all isolated mountain towns tucked into steep remote wooded valleys.

The larger cities tend to be much more defensible. That isn't always the case as with Santa Rosa CA last year. But it is generally the case. Colorado won't make you safe from fires. A few years ago the entire city of Colorado Springs nearly went up in smoke and some suburban areas around the city were burnt to the ground.

Every place has it's poison. Here in the west it is mostly fire and earthquakes. In the Gulf Coast region it is hurricanes. In the plains and midwest it is floods and drought. In the southwest it will be extreme heat and drought.
I don't know about all of the towns getting burned, but Talent and Phoenix are definitely not mountain towns tucked into steep remote wooded valleys. It's an urban area with a population of 11,000 surrounded by miles of flat farm land. The main fuel for the fire seems to have been the greenbelt next to the freeway.

I don't know what to think about the wildfire problem anymore, except that we need way better firefighting capabilities, and probably a fleet of 747 Supertankers.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I think the media always exaggerates. Every time I google "vaccine news" the news keeps trying to discourage people from the excitement of a vaccine, then another day, they make you feel excited about a vaccine. Also the media is probably underestimating the coronavirus case counts due to crappy testing systems. I'd say the media is exaggerating about wildfires. There are no real news these days.
In that case move to Oregon and experience it for yourself.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,565,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't know about all of the towns getting burned, but Talent and Phoenix are definitely not mountain towns tucked into steep remote wooded valleys. It's an urban area with a population of 11,000 surrounded by miles of flat farm land. The main fuel for the fire seems to have been the greenbelt next to the freeway.

I don't know what to think about the wildfire problem anymore, except that we need way better firefighting capabilities, and probably a fleet of 747 Supertankers.
From the look of things, the main fuel for the fire in Phoenix and Talent was buildings, plus flammable landscaping and trash. I bet a lot of those people didn't even bother to clean the tinder out of their gutters.

I wonder if some of those neighborhoods will get around to installing fire hydrants? If there's no water, there isn't much a fire department can do.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:17 PM

4,389 posts, read 2,873,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

That was the point of my post (#14) in this thread... the area wasn't heavily-wooded and hard to access,
it was farms and towns, and right beside I-5 in a flat valley. Yet Talent and Phoenix couldn't be saved.

Yes, it seems what's needed is a quantum jump in firefighting capabilities. During hazardous conditions,
there probably ought to be a fleet of little drones airborne 24/7 to spot fires as soon as they start.

Last edited by NW4me; 09-11-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-11-2020, 01:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,581,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
From the look of things, the main fuel for the fire in Phoenix and Talent was buildings, plus flammable landscaping and trash. I bet a lot of those people didn't even bother to clean the tinder out of their gutters.

I wonder if some of those neighborhoods will get around to installing fire hydrants? If there's no water, there isn't much a fire department can do.
Yep. And you still see things like wood shake roofs in fire zones. Sun River used to REQUIRE them until they changed their codes a few years back. You also see lots and lots of big woodpiles near or next to homes all over rural Oregon because so many people still heat with wood stoves.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:30 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,581,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
That was the point of my post (#14) in this thread... the area wasn't heavily-wooded and hard to access,
it was farms and towns, and right beside I-5 in a flat valley. Yet Talent and Phoenix couldn't be saved.

Yes, it seems what's needed is a quantum jump in firefighting capabilities. During hazardous conditions,
probably there ought to be a fleet of little drones airborne 24/7 to spot fires as soon as they start.
That would require:

1. A quantum leap in taxes in rural areas to pay for this quantum leap in firefighting capabilities, and
2. A quantum leap in building regulations and restrictions on rural property in the wildlands/urban interface.

Good luck with either of those. There are parts of southern Oregon where they aren't even willing to pay for police protection.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

From the videos I have seen, at least of Talent, the fire burned along the Bear Creek Greenway, then spread to the commercial buildings along Highway 99, then to trailer parks and apartments between Highway 99 and Talent Avenue. Fire hydrants were present in the area that burned. Even if they weren't FD Pumper Tanker trucks can take care of that. I doubt that if gutters were clean or not had much impact on the fire.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:44 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,186,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not sure where you're getting your information (do you have a link for the set of arsonists arrested in OC?), but here's what LE in other parts of the state have to say about the arson rumors.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/ver...1-982b904c5545

The Sweet Creek fire by me was started by an arsonist, but he was a local with mental health issues and not affiliated with "antifa." The one in Ashland is still under investigation but looks like it was could be arson.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ac8_story.html
I'll try and find the link. I've read so many articles. I'm not talking about the cuckoo crazy antifa rumors. Big fires like these always bring out the arsonists as they get excited by the fires.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 PM

22,831 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Silverfalls State Park is on fire so the whole park is cleared of people and closed. Scotts Mills was evacuated already and Silverton is a Level 2.
It is so hard to imagine Silverfalls burning! A place I'd love to visit during the rainy season when the falls were roaring. I remember seeing so many migrating rough-skinned newts on the trails you could hardly avoid stepping on one. Lifetimes before the area recovers again if it ever does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon