Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 05:56 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy dayz View Post
so about 1801? I agree.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I think you need a bit of a refresher in US history. It started in 1803 and has been going on continuously ever since. If anything the migration has been stabilizing, in recent times. The biggest migration into Oregon was between 1850 and 1950, and not much since then. So you have to go back a long, long way to know what it was like before everyone decided the west was a great place to live.

Quote:
Westward Expansion Facts
Former U.S. president Thomas Jefferson believed that the nation's future depended on its westward expansion. In 1803 the Louisiana Purchase took place, doubling the size of the country. By 1840 almost 7 million Americans had migrated westward in hopes of securing land and being prosperous. The belief that settlers were destined to expand to the west is often referred to as Manifest Destiny. Manifest Destiny was used to justify the war with Mexico in the 1840s which resulted in the acquisition of one million square miles of land previously owned by Mexico, enlarging the U.S. even more. Many of the pioneers who settled the west became cash croppers and grew marketable products.
Westward Expansion Facts

Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think you need a bit of a refresher in US history. It started in 1803 and has been going on continuously ever since. If anything the migration has been stabilizing, in recent times. The biggest migration into Oregon was between 1850 and 1950, and not much since then. So you have to go back a long, long way to know what it was like before everyone decided the west was a great place to live.

Westward Expansion Facts

Who said anything about Oregon?

Old 09-25-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about Oregon?
I mentioned Oregon to make it relevant to this forum. The link I gave doesn't mention anything about Oregon, but Oregon is part of the west.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I mentioned Oregon to make it relevant to this forum. The link I gave doesn't mention anything about Oregon, but Oregon is part of the west.

Thanks. I know that.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:

Westward Expansion Facts
Is this the same link you posted when you came to the Alaska forum and claimed that covered wagons had flooded into Alaska during the 19th century? Ok.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:01 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Thats also what I want too.. Omaha is 1st on the list. Cant stand Portland and the suburbs of it too.
When that user mentioned the Midwest, I was thinking about the states in the very center of the country that are arid to its western side, not so much the green humid states. The states in the very center are way too rural. But yeah, I don't hear about many natural disasters there except for tornadoes (which attract tornado chasers) and then you have the blizzards where people are stupid enough to cause mass pileups on the roads. I'd take severe blizzards over anything else.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:07 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
The west was a great place to live before everyone decided the west was a great place to live...
Yes, my mom grew up in California since the 70s and 80s. California was a much better place at the time and it had its amazing stereotypes at the time and there was obviously no overpopulation and obviously less traffic and it was more "suburban" and also less ghetto at the time. If too many people want to live West, then the West gets overpopulated and with more crazy ghetto people. Thankfully, the interior states of the country that are the West don't suffer like California as much and there are still options available. You always British Columbia in Canada too, but I don't know how bad the westward migration works up there like what you get here in the US where too many people want to move West. And also, becoming a citizen there is hard I heard.

Last edited by moshywilly; 09-26-2020 at 12:16 AM..

Old 09-26-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Is this the same link you posted when you came to the Alaska forum and claimed that covered wagons had flooded into Alaska during the 19th century? Ok.
I'm pretty positive I posted no such thing. I think you are imagining things. I would have to research that to even know if it was true or not, but I don't think it is. I don't think it would even have been possible for a wagon or any other land vehicle to get to Alaska until at least the 1940s. There wasn't even much migration to Alaska until the very end of the 19th century, and then I think it would have been by steam ship, and then maybe overland by dog sled. To the best of my knowledge, there was never any wagon road into Alaska.

And since that link doesn't even deal with Alaska, I don't know why I would have posted it to the Alaska forum.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 09-26-2020 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-26-2020, 12:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
I'm pretty positive I posted no such thing. I think you are imagining things. I would have to research that to even know if it was true or not, but I don't think it is. I don't think it would even have been possible for a wagon or any other land vehicle to get to Alaska until at least the 1940s. There wasn't even much migration to Alaska until the very end of the 19th century, and then I think it would have been by steam ship, and then maybe overland by dog sled. To the best of my knowledge, there was never any wagon road into Alaska.

And since that link doesn't even deal with Alaska, I don't know why I would have posted it to the Alaska forum.
It was several years back in a "westward migration discussion." You were conflating the Klondike gold rush crowd (late 19th century) with the settlers who relocated to Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon