U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 08:26 PM

1,200 posts, read 849,598 times

Advertisements

I feel horrible for you- you move to a place thats so green but the fires have severely diminished that.

Is there a general idea where you might go? Might you build in the same area knowing its not likely to burn more more again soon or is it too risky? ia

I believe as you get closer to the coast the chances of fire are substantially less . On the California page some mention moving to the Midwest but the winters are brutal. Some say Denver but it has worse traffi than any city in Oregon and it gets over 90 during much of the summer.

I do believe in climate change and this warming may continue to be an issue. I bought some land on the Columbia River in Skamokawa Washington - where it averages about 90 inches a year and figured it was safe from fire and while it is compared to most of the state, the past 45 days have been extremely dry. No guarantees however that area is lovely at the present.

What are your thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 08:30 PM

5,712 posts, read 1,884,389 times
We've heard of people from the upper McKenzie River drainage staying in motels in Eugene. They are getting FEMA vouchers to help cover the cost.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:43 PM

1,200 posts, read 849,598 times
That's nice- what about long range plans?

Old 09-12-2020, 08:46 PM

5,712 posts, read 1,884,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
That's nice- what about long range plans?

Great question, I have no idea. I presume that when things settle down, they will return and assess damage, insurance claims, start clean up, ect. They will be very busy for the foreseeable future.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,079 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Long range plans people will stay (if they can afford it)

Families, jobs, friends, familiarity...

CA has been dealing with it for decades.

This is a very rare, but not unexpected event. Likened to a hurricane or tornado.

Should be good for my Defensible Space business. It is really difficult to get west side people to take Defensible Space seriously. Insurance companies will require it, and I expect soon there will be a ranking status for each home. CA burn areas have had enormous increases in insurance rates.

Building more fire resistant homes and landscape will be required. That will price people out who want to stay.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:19 PM

26,151 posts, read 34,638,046 times
More rain doesn't stop wild fire unless the rain is evenly distributed all year round. In the west, all "more rain" does is to grow lots of underbrush which then dries out over the summer, providing fuel for fires.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:40 PM

14,701 posts, read 35,576,072 times
If we would bury our power lines, then we could reduce the risk of fires substantially.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:35 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,288,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If we would bury our power lines, then we could reduce the risk of fires substantially.
and ban fireworks. I think they're the next thing to be banned, and they should be. idiots can't be trusted w/them, and like many things, unfortunately we have to ban them to keep the idiots from using them.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:20 AM

7,134 posts, read 4,712,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
and ban fireworks. I think they're the next thing to be banned, and they should be. idiots can't be trusted w/them, and like many things, unfortunately we have to ban them to keep the idiots from using them.
Yes!

I've been saying this ever since the 2017 Gorge fire.

Heck, when I was a kid we didn't do anything good with fireworks. We would fire roman candles at each other, etc... Well now that stuff would cause fires for sure. Lucky we didn't cause any when I was a kid.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:32 PM

623 posts, read 121,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
What's next, lighters?

Make matches illegal after that!

Banning fireworks is a ****ing stupid idea and won't solve any problems. People can (and do) still start fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: