Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMartinez99 View Post
I have lived here for 13 years now and it is far from a perfect place. The demographics have A lot of people from California and Washington have moved here to realize that and then they moved out of Oregon and moved back home to CA or WA.

The obvious- If you do not like rain for sometimes 6-7 months out of the year then I would consider moving somewhere else.

There is also an increasing amount of METH ABUSERS and HOMELESS PROBLEMS here and there are little to no resources for those needing mental health assistance and therefore there are a lot of people who need help, don't get it and end up on the street.

On top of that, residents often joke about the LACK of LAW ENFORCEMENT in the area.

I just want to let people know that Oregon is ok, but there are majorly increasing problems that are happening in the Albany/ Corvalis area.

This is my 2 cents from someone who has lived here for a while as I know there are some Realtors that post here that obviously focus on the positives.

I am planning to move out of state in the near future.

Lived here for only 13 years? I admit that the annual rainfall can be kind of irritating, but in general, the climate of the Mid-Willamette Valley is pretty mild.

Sure, Albany-Corvallis have been showing problems, but show me any other cities that aren't. The problems you mention about drug abuse and the homeless aren't limited to to this area alone, they're national problems.

For the most part, even though conditions have changed over the years, overall both cities are still pretty good places to live, compared to some locations. If you feel these problems are out of hand, I'd have to wonder what part of those cities are you living in? If you're seeing more crime in your neighborhood, then get involved with a neighborhood watch program. The biggest problem why crime gets a foothold in certain areas in the first place, and that goes for any city in the US, is because people either ignore the beginning signs of problems or don't get involved to watch out for their neighborhoods and each other.

Running off to some other part of the US isn't necessarily a solution and doesn't necessarily lead to a utopian life. You'll more than likely find the same problems elsewhere, sometimes on a greater scale. What makes you think somewhere else would be any different?

I'm not saying that Albany and Corvallis have no flaws. But I think you're focusing more on the negatives about these cities rather than the positives.

I don't especially like seeing the increasing growth rate of Albany and Corvallis, but that's something that happens everywhere. You'll find homeless people and drug abusers no matter where you go, sometimes on a much greater scale.

Both Albany and Corvallis (and commuinities like Lebanon) have various programs available to help the homeless by providing food, temporary shelter, and free or low-cost medical care. Is it a permanent solution? Of course not. But they're steps in the right direction.

If you feel so uncomfortable about living in Oregon that you have no other alternative than to move to a different state, then I wish you the best of luck where ever you choose to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 AM

14 posts, read 41,712 times
Default Water issues

I am not trying to discourage anyone from moving here! I think the town of Harrisburg is quite serene and charming.

I just think that people should know that they should try the water before moving into any of these small towns surrounding this area. Brita filters do NOT work on this water, we've tried them.

No one realizes how much water they actually use until they CAN'T use the water out of the tap! I am NOT against growth, the towns handle that themselves and had their planning commissions in place long before I moved here.

I honestly believed that I was doing a public service to make people aware of the water problem here so they could try it for themselves before moving in.

Can I post a pix or 2 on this site? I'd like to post a picture to show you what I am talking about, and YES, I DID take pix of the brown water straight out of the tap!

The water in Corvalis may be better than ours, I know the water in Hillsboro is better and I do know the LA water is better, SOME places in Veneta have better water but some of it is like ours and not drinkable. Junction City says right on their water website that no one with an autoimmune problem including cancer or under going chemo should drink the water and it is like ours in Harrisburg.

Everyone is welcome to move where ever they'd like, I don't discourage anyone from moving here, I just want folks to be aware that they will be hauling water and lots of it from the grocery store, it not only gets expensive, it gets tiring and heavy. Think about having to limit what you cook when you get low on water cuz you might run out.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Wolfbytez, why not just start a thread about Junction City/Harrisburg water problems? This thread is about Albany/Corvallis.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
This area is awesome, nothing wrong with it.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 10,514 times
I hate to burst people's bubbles but true Oregonians HATE californians especially if they are from southern california. Our perspective is that they come up here, build huge houses practice conspicuous consumption and ruin the landscape. I'm not saying if I believe or don't believe that, but it is something that you should be aware of. You constantly here "damn californians, go home" mumbled under the locals breath!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 AM

540 posts, read 2,173,648 times
Ya know, I've lived here for 7 years. My wife is originally from California (and I'm from Pennsylvania), and we came here by way of a navy career which included about 15 years in California...I have never ONCE heard or felt any direct or indirect negative feelings about "damn Californians."

Most of the people that I deal with in my real estate career are HOPING for a California-buyer to come here and over-pay for their house.

I don't discount rachelrocks187's experiences - I'm sure that this is how she sees it...but I just have to say that MY experience is 180 degrees out. I have never on a single occasion EVER seen any malice against Californians other than clearly in jest.

DaveP

Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 15,714 times
I agree Harrisburg city water is terrible..i have bought a brita pitcher and a water softener after it was installed the sales man said it was helping but did not fix the problem. have spent over 5k in upgrades but have settled with buying water same as every person on my block.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,891 times
Default "TRUE Oregonians"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelrocks187 View Post
I hate to burst people's bubbles but true Oregonians HATE californians especially if they are from southern california. Our perspective is that they come up here, build huge houses practice conspicuous consumption and ruin the landscape. I'm not saying if I believe or don't believe that, but it is something that you should be aware of. You constantly here "damn californians, go home" mumbled under the locals breath!
I don't know what you mean by 'true Oregonians'. Are you talking about native Oregonians? If that's what you mean then I resent your mindless exaggeration. I've never heard anyone say that they 'hate Californians'. And I've been in this state since my birth at the old Portland St Vincents Hospital in 1949. Oregon has continued to develop into an exciting, innovative state. And it has a lot of newcomers who appreciate Oregon's uniqueness to thank.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 15,714 times
I agree with both sides have lived in Oregon since 1973, only time i have ever left the state for a long time was to serve my time in the Marines. In the cities most natives don't have to much of a problem with Californians, but if you go to places outside of those they are not well thought of they are blamed for everything from increased home prices, crime, and pushing their big city opinions off on those that have lived here. I have met both kinds those that i wish would go back south and those that are normal people just trying to do their best. The one thing i will say is that most people that are from outside of Oregon don't know how to drive in our weather, LOL neither in the rain or snow or a sunny day.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
I think the area is really nice. Albany is a bit shady tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon