U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 03:21 PM

2,138 posts, read 659,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
If you want to replicate the PA / MP type charm for eateries, shops and such...you need to have good access to Portland for that (NW and Pearl in particular). LO is nice, but the downtown feels a bit concocted to me. As do Tanasbourne and the other more “engineered” modern Main Street type scenes in the suburbs. You may or may not see it the same way.

Quote:
SW Hills is your ticket. There are beautiful homes with nice lots, and forested settings, and charming 60+ year old homes, many of which have period-specific upgrades and interior remodeling. You want trees/nature? Walk out your door and you are on the Marquam Trail or similar, with direct link to miles and miles of gorgeous forested trails.
Lake Oswego has nothing on the SW Hills area.

Quote:
Commute to H’boro is 20-25 mins in the a.m. I did it for many years. It makes a Bay Area commute look like peanuts (I also did that for many years). You can also drop down the hill to NW PDX / Pearl in minutes, depending on your street location. So your city amenities are easily accessible.

Good luck!
Don't forget to check into the MAX line if that's something your husband is willing to consider. It could save time and money on the weekly commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 03:58 PM

4,165 posts, read 5,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
Thank you !

I haven’t been looking for houses so it may be true for everywhere, I feel like most houses I look at (not the 1.3 or above ones) have super traditional or outdated interior. I don’t think the Bay Area is like that, but I could be wrong
In your price range you can probably get location (lots, views, amenities) or you can get modern updated newer construction. You probably can't get both.

Most of the newer construction is going to be concentrated in farther out edge suburbs on small cookie cutter lots. Or will be stratospheric priced estate stuff.

The older established better neighborhoods that are closer to amenities and have great lots and views are going to be a mix of older construction that hasn't been updated that you might afford, and homes that have been top-to-bottom renovated and will likely be way out of your price range as a result.

In your shoes, when you aren't obsessed about school geography and family amenities, I would go for location over new construction every single day. You have the rest of your lives to update the place and make it your own. But you can't change a cookie-cutter outer suburb neighborhood.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 18,185,876 times
The commute from Lake Oswego to Hillsboro would be a beast and without the ambiance of Council Crest (the neighborhood arround Ainsworth Grade School). I don't think Lake Oswego has the social life for a couple without children (be aware that Portland is known for not being outgoing).

Old 10-29-2020, 01:53 PM

50 posts, read 29,651 times
Lake Oswego is a fine place, lotta folks don't like the perceived exclusiveness that has been a stigma for decdes, even though many upper middle class live there these days.
60% of Oregon's population of 4.2M live within 60 miles of Portland, with 40% within the metro itself. And that doesn't count the 'herd' living across the river in Vancouver and neighboring burbs that commute into Portland for work as well.
So while weighing the respective neighborhood amenities, suggest overweighing the perceived commute times that go with them.
With your buget and 'asks', LO would be a very good call.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 8,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
Lake Oswego is a fine place, lotta folks don't like the perceived exclusiveness that has been a stigma for decdes, even though many upper middle class live there these days.
60% of Oregon's population of 4.2M live within 60 miles of Portland, with 40% within the metro itself. And that doesn't count the 'herd' living across the river in Vancouver and neighboring burbs that commute into Portland for work as well.
So while weighing the respective neighborhood amenities, suggest overweighing the perceived commute times that go with them.
With your buget and 'asks', LO would be a very good call.

Appreciate the feedback!

Old 03-30-2021, 09:05 AM

Want to give you all an update. We've moved to PDX for a month now, this is such a nice place, we are very happy albeit missing family and friends.

Unfortunatlely, the housing inventory has been super low, and we also realize with our budget, we can't have it all (as someone pointed out earlier). We've looked at all of the areas mentioned before, and here are my thoughts.

SW Hills- stunning area, gorgeous older houses, with some updates, and if we want more spacious floor plans, it meas $$$, also a few houses we checked out, STUNNING views, built on a slope which makes me a bit nervous, also a bit of windy narrow road to get to.

Forest Height: We love this area, we saw a very cute house in the area with gorgeous views, a smaller house but still close to 800K. And many many more over a million, stunning houses. We even checked out some cookie cutter houses in the area, like i said, giving up the lot size for a nice neighborhood and smaller yard, but ultimately, that's not what we really wanted. Though we visited a friend who lives in the cedar mill new development, great neighborhood (though cookie cutter track homes), super nice interior, but the house did not go up in price at all for 2 years.

Bethany/Cedar Mill??: We visited this area in the "old bethany", where Bauer oak estates, Bauer crest subdivision is, love the area so much. Spacious, nice, clean homes, well maintained. We saw a gorgeous house that was listed at 920K and offer was at least 100K over asking.

Lake Oswego: Not all areas are the same. DH will be mostly remote even in the future, so commute is not a huge issue. That said, we want to be closer to the west and north with easy freeway access. Houses under million mark are in general older needing work, and if money is not an issue, then the options of course are unlimited!

Old 03-30-2021, 11:23 AM

Mt. Park is a neighborhood worth considering.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Mt. Park is a neighborhood worth considering.
Exactly my thoughts, love this pocket

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Lake Oswego doesn't impress me. Mt. Park is closer to Hillsboro than Lake Oswego and is a better value. Jogging paths, community center with a pool. https://mtparkhoa.com/clubhouse/

Old Today, 12:15 PM

Wait, isn’t mountain park in the city of lake Oswego? I also enjoy the west lake area.

What’s your thoughts on forest heights? Inconvenience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon