Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2020, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,721 times

Advertisements

Hi All, Planning for a 4 day trip to Oregon to take a break from work and de-stress. Mainly looking for scenic drives and staying on the coast. The weather seems to be around the 60s during that time, so I am hoping I can still enjoy the outdoors. My main concern is will there be any fall colors left at that time? Is there any specific part of the area I should look for?

If you have any recommendations for stay, it would be great as well. Looking to stay on the coast and enjoy the views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 09:51 PM

15,321 posts, read 8,926,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praneeth900 View Post
Hi All, Planning for a 4 day trip to Oregon to take a break from work and de-stress. Mainly looking for scenic drives and staying on the coast. The weather seems to be around the 60s during that time, so I am hoping I can still enjoy the outdoors. My main concern is will there be any fall colors left at that time? Is there any specific part of the area I should look for?

If you have any recommendations for stay, it would be great as well. Looking to stay on the coast and enjoy the views.
The Oregon Coast is 95% green 12 months a year. If you are coming to the coast, looking for fall colors you will likely be underwhelmed, no matter when you come. That said, if you come to the coast at the end of October, you maybe able to see a few trees here and there with yellow leaves. But you will probably have to look for them.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:46 PM

8,201 posts, read 16,631,806 times
I could have just asked the same question except I live here. So I sorta know the answer already. But I just happen to have a trip planned for that same week to central Oregon.

Bottom line: yes, it will be post prime in most places. But that doesn't mean you won't still be able to see some fall colors at the lower elevations. You just may have to come inland to catch that more. There are many excellent places for fall colors where there may be some leaves still left. All of it, of course, depends on the weather and WIND in a few weeks. Every year is a little different.

Here's Horsetail Falls and another famous waterfall last year in the Columbia River Gorge on 10/28. It would be worth the drive from the coast if still good like this.

Derek

Old 10-12-2020, 07:06 AM

328 posts, read 425,561 times
beautiful photos, Derek! I'd rate your post positively if this board would let me!

Old 10-12-2020, 10:06 AM

5,381 posts, read 7,657,752 times
For fall color it is probably better to go east into the Gorge like were Derick's photos are from. The coastal mountains are mostly evergreen fir and hemlock trees and the deciduous trees are mostly bigleaf maple and alder which only turn a muddy yellow/brown color.

The best color in the PNW is mostly in the more urban areas where people have planted non-native maples and other trees that produce better fall color than the native trees. So if you just want to photograph closeups and compose scenes, places like the Portland Japanese Garden and Hoyt Arboretum and city parks often give you the best fall color. There is no place where you will get the whole mountainsides of brilliant color like you will in the east because the predominant trees in the Pacific Northwest are evergreens.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
For fall color it is probably better to go east into the Gorge like were Derick's photos are from. The coastal mountains are mostly evergreen fir and hemlock trees and the deciduous trees are mostly bigleaf maple and alder which only turn a muddy yellow/brown color.

The best color in the PNW is mostly in the more urban areas where people have planted non-native maples and other trees that produce better fall color than the native trees. So if you just want to photograph closeups and compose scenes, places like the Portland Japanese Garden and Hoyt Arboretum and city parks often give you the best fall color. There is no place where you will get the whole mountainsides of brilliant color like you will in the east because the predominant trees in the Pacific Northwest are evergreens.
Yep, lots of beautiful color in Portland especially in the places mentioned. Hoyt Arboretum is awesome. I was very impressed with the wide variety of trees and color last year. After living in Colorado with the Aspen trees, then the California coast by contrast with very little fall color, I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of trees and other plants that turn color in the fall. Also, if one were to go into the the Cascades they would see the beautiful larch trees changing color. This is a special treat more to the north in Northern Cascades NP.

In addition, the waterways have some really nice color in may places with cottonwood trees changing color.
A few photos from last year in Portland and Vancouver.

Derek

Old 10-12-2020, 11:34 AM

5,432 posts, read 8,127,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yep, lots of beautiful color in Portland especially in the places mentioned. Hoyt Arboretum is awesome. I was very impressed with the wide variety of trees and color last year. After living in Colorado with the Aspen trees, then the California coast by contrast with very little fall color, I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of trees and other plants that turn color in the fall. Also, if one were to go into the the Cascades they would see the beautiful larch trees changing color. This is a special treat more to the north in Northern Cascades NP.

In addition, the waterways have some really nice color in may places with cottonwood trees changing color.
A few photos from last year in Portland and Vancouver.
Derek
The Larch trees, commonly called Tamaracks, can be spectacular. Every October I go into the Elkhorn Mountains to see them:

https://kuula.co/post/7lX6s

https://kuula.co/post/7qt34

Old 10-12-2020, 11:52 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
I don't know how your timing will be, but there is a very nice display of maples on HWY 20 between Newport and Corvallis. Although I don't know how much of that is bypassed by the new section of hwy. I haven't driven the new section during fall foliage time.

Then HWY 223 from Wren to Pedee has some lovely fall foliage. My opinion is that is one of the prettiest drives in Oregon.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM

I hear Cottage Grove south of Eugene has a really nice fall color showing along with their Covered Bridges. We're thinking of checking it out this year.

https://www.eugenecascadescoast.org/...cottage-grove/

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon