Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 11:06 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroyce View Post
dont move here and start voting. thats my thing. you wanna move here, fine. we cant stop you. im a libertarian who believes in free movement of people for the most part. but people should live here for 4 or 5 years before they start voting. we are sick and tired of people coming here from cal, michigan, etc... and voting like they're still there. you dont know how our state works so until you do just live and work and observe. liberal, conservative...i dont care. just integrate before you start trying to affect change. peace and love to you
Nice sentiment - but likely never gonna happen.
I started voting the first election I could when I moved here. Die hard conservative/libertarian. Been frustrated ever since

My opinion is that OR doesn't work and I WOULD like to change it. This state takes a crapload of tax $ from my family so --- we get to act on our opinions.

Be different than the other insane Left coast states - emphasize business, free market and personal freedoms as opposed to fake issues like global warming, systematic racism, wealth inequality, catering to hobos etc. All issues designed to control populace and grow gov't. Certainly not issues that help the taxpayer who finances the insanity.

Btw- moved here from midwest for a job. Apparently locals with same skills were not available. Now that I am here, we would love to hire local as it saves a lot of $ and is less risky but frankly it's hard. The # of transplants here should make folks think about quality of the education system. Maybe that is a better place to put tax $'s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 01:42 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
I moved from California to Oregon in 2016 for a job promotion. I didn't have any issues with the exception of a couple of angry looks while driving before I was able to get my plates changed.

I had no problem with the rainy weather and enjoyed getting to know the area.

I lived in Gladstone, which is about 10 minutes from Portland and I loved it! I am back in Ca now, due to some family stuff that happened, but I really miss Oregon.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:14 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Nice sentiment - but likely never gonna happen.
I started voting the first election I could when I moved here. Die hard conservative/libertarian. Been frustrated ever since

My opinion is that OR doesn't work and I WOULD like to change it. This state takes a crapload of tax $ from my family so --- we get to act on our opinions.

Be different than the other insane Left coast states - emphasize business, free market and personal freedoms as opposed to fake issues like global warming, systematic racism, wealth inequality, catering to hobos etc. All issues designed to control populace and grow gov't. Certainly not issues that help the taxpayer who finances the insanity.

Btw- moved here from midwest for a job. Apparently locals with same skills were not available. Now that I am here, we would love to hire local as it saves a lot of $ and is less risky but frankly it's hard. The # of transplants here should make folks think about quality of the education system. Maybe that is a better place to put tax $'s.
You may be living in the wrong state. Idaho is more of what you want.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 7,735 times
I was born and raised in northern California, and lived in Oregon at different times and in different cities between 2000 and 2018. I've lived in Portland, Seaside, Baker City and Klamath Falls, and no one has ever had a problem with me being from California. I live in Idaho now and sure can't say the same thing. Not a lot of love in Idaho for Californians and they're not shy about letting you know!

Old 03-16-2021, 10:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlyson View Post
I was born and raised in northern California, and lived in Oregon at different times and in different cities between 2000 and 2018. I've lived in Portland, Seaside, Baker City and Klamath Falls, and no one has ever had a problem with me being from California. I live in Idaho now and sure can't say the same thing. Not a lot of love in Idaho for Californians and they're not shy about letting you know!
WY, MT also were ruined for affordability to locals in the 1970's and 80's (Displaced local residents due to CA equity inflow). Those who were able to stay are buried in Property taxes and new legislation / increased rules and restrictions. Forcing many to take J-O-B-S to ay for that!!! (They preferred their previous life, of only working for food and fuel, not for taxes). QoL has greatly diminished for rural dwellers who were quite comfortable living as hermits, not bothering anyone, and not bothering having to work to hold onto their land.

Clinton tax law (1997) should have solved the equity inflow crisis, but it was 40 yrs too late, and for some reason people think they need to spend equivalent or more on their next home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxpay...ef_Act_of_1997

When thousands of my coworkers arrived from CA, they had a tough time spending all their 'house money'. (Added basements to brand new homes (which they never used) and often paid $100k > $300k + more than home would have cost to a local buyer) (in 1990 dollars).

Subsequently I, and all other locals, ended up working one week / month just to fund our increased property taxes. Those hurt the most were retirees / limited income and capped financial resource, property owners. Many of them became homeless or had to flee the area (ironically headed to ID) so some of the 'bad-blood' there may be displaced OR and WA natives. 300+ businesses still flee WA and OR each yr to head to ID.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-16-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 01:36 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlyson View Post
We are just too polite to say so.

But we don't dislike Californians anymore than people from other states. :-)

Old 05-10-2021, 12:43 PM

57 posts, read 272,785 times
I moved to Southern Oregon in 2008. Born and raised in California, spent 55 years in or near the Sacramento area. I didn't change my plates for the first two years I was here. Never had a single issue. Nobody said a word to me about being from California. But a few can be very "vocal" when they're behind a keyboard. To your face though? Nothing but crickets, in my experience anyway.

I think you will be fine in Ashland. It's very different from the rest of Southern Oregon. And no matter where you go in Oregon, you will run across former Californians. Many of them. I was in the checkout line at Safeway and the checker asked about my area code when I put in my phone number in place of the Safeway Card. I told him I was originally from Sacramento. Turns out the three people after me in line were also former Sacramentans.

Oregon has lots of former Californians. Some people don't like it, but you can never please everyone. That would be my last concern when deciding where to move.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:30 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You may be living in the wrong state. Idaho is more of what you want.
Probably true. We all do things for $ i guess.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:37 AM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WY, MT also were ruined for affordability to locals in the 1970's and 80's (Displaced local residents due to CA equity inflow). Those who were able to stay are buried in Property taxes and new legislation / increased rules and restrictions. Forcing many to take J-O-B-S to ay for that!!! (They preferred their previous life, of only working for food and fuel, not for taxes). QoL has greatly diminished for rural dwellers who were quite comfortable living as hermits, not bothering anyone, and not bothering having to work to hold onto their land.

Clinton tax law (1997) should have solved the equity inflow crisis, but it was 40 yrs too late, and for some reason people think they need to spend equivalent or more on their next home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxpay...ef_Act_of_1997

When thousands of my coworkers arrived from CA, they had a tough time spending all their 'house money'. (Added basements to brand new homes (which they never used) and often paid $100k > $300k + more than home would have cost to a local buyer) (in 1990 dollars).

Subsequently I, and all other locals, ended up working one week / month just to fund our increased property taxes. Those hurt the most were retirees / limited income and capped financial resource, property owners. Many of them became homeless or had to flee the area (ironically headed to ID) so some of the 'bad-blood' there may be displaced OR and WA natives. 300+ businesses still flee WA and OR each yr to head to ID.

I get it Stealth. I have two friends from CA. One bought second trade up home in the 1976 for $27,000 that is now worth $925,000 and 20 years ago the Prop 13 taxes were only $1,200 and now they are up to $2,500 (but, the neighbor pays the current rate of $10,000). Their kids will not inherit the Prop 13 (because they will have to sell and split). Another dear friend inherited her mom's house in 2013 with the Prop 13 inherited fixed property taxes in San Diego $550,000 with $550 annual taxes (now $1,200,000 with $750 taxes) -- THANKS MOM! Wow, Nice!

What I know is that if I don't want to move I need to work until closer to 70 (and die at 80); none of this 20 year retired stuff for me. If I get 5-10 years of retirement it will be a lot more than a lot of people get. I hope I can hang in there until 67 at least (going to be tough -- but, then, life has been pretty tough).

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is Population Growth in General. There were 2.5 Billion People when I was born and now almost 8 Billion. US population was 192 million when I was born, now it's 333 million. THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY HUMANS IN THE US AND ON THE PLANET.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I get it ....
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is Population Growth in General. There were 2.5 Billion People when I was born and now almost 8 Billion. US population was 192 million when I was born, now it's 333 million. THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY HUMANS IN THE US AND ON THE PLANET.
That would infer the highest populated places on Earth would have highest housing costs, but they don't (excluding some destination cities like Tokyo, HK, Singapore, where region people prefer to live for employment and city life.

There are ways to provide housing without pricing everyone out.

According to the conspiratists, globalists like Gates foundation are gonna take care of reducing the world population. If everyone who gets Covid vaccine is dead in 5-10 yrs, there should be more space for the few survivors. Housing costs should stabilize from that and other events, such as the coming Ice Age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon