Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 07:28 PM

92 posts, read 87,218 times

Advertisements

Folks in Idaho (wife has family there) are pissed off at the Oregonions who are selling their homes for $$ to Californians, taking the cash and buying homes for full ask in Idaho, driving up the price and pricing out young Idaho families in many of the cities and large towns...sound familiar?
So are the Oregonians transplanting to Idaho 'as bad' as the Californians transplanting to Oregon?
Are Americans still free to move to wherever they choose to, providing they can?
When home prices are driven up by affluent folks who then spend their money in the local economy which creates more jobs which raises wages, is that a good thing or bad thing?
When someone blames 'the other side' for everything wrong, is the other side really responsible, or just a scrapegoat for the inability of the complainer to deal with an inclusive society when they demand an exclusive society?

When you're starting to think all your problems are caused by others, probably a good time to look in the mirror and stare at the real culprit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 08:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
Folks in Idaho (wife has family there) are pissed off at the Oregonions who are selling their homes for $$ to Californians, taking the cash and buying homes for full ask in Idaho, driving up the price and pricing out young Idaho families in many of the cities and large towns...sound familiar?
So are the Oregonians transplanting to Idaho 'as bad' as the Californians transplanting to Oregon?
Are Americans still free to move to wherever they choose to, providing they can?
When home prices are driven up by affluent folks who then spend their money in the local economy which creates more jobs which raises wages, is that a good thing or bad thing?
When someone blames 'the other side' for everything wrong, is the other side really responsible, or just a scrapegoat for the inability of the complainer to deal with an inclusive society when they demand an exclusive society?

When you're starting to think all your problems are caused by others, probably a good time to look in the mirror and stare at the real culprit..
First, I'll start by saying that I don't have any particular problems that are caused by California transplants. They just annoy me because they tend to hit the ground nitpicking and complaining, but I'm fortunate enough not to have to engage with them on anything but my own terms.

Kindly tell me what jobs they're bringing to Florence or the other smallish coastal towns they're relocating to for their retirement years? I know retirees love to pat themselves on the back for "creating jobs!" but — more housekeeping jobs? Retail/restaurant jobs? Seasonal landscaping jobs? They've priced out the working class, those jobs are going unfilled, and the complaining about the "poor quality of service here!" continues unchecked. Kind of a vicious little circle.

Theoretically, they would create more health care-type jobs, but doctors/nurses who are raising families typically aren't interested in enrolling their children in substandard schools. The local pharmacy can't even convince a pharmacist to relocate here, and it's become a true crisis for anyone trying to get prescriptions filled.

A major pet peeve is that they've moved to an area with an abundance of wildlife and immediately start scaremongering, complaining, and calling Fish & Wildlife to "report" bear sightings. Some even call if they so much as think they see a bobcat kitten. If enough of them call to complain, this often ends up in the animal being killed. A few of the less brighter bulbs were feeding bear cubs; fast forward several months, and the cubs were rounded up and euthanized because they'd learned to associate human habitat with easy food. Others persist in hanging bird feeders even after they learn that these attract bears.

One of them who hasn't even been here three months has been waging a campaign against a low-income apartment complex that is supposed to be going in. What's left of Florence's working class could really use it, but this person has rallied a few of the other newcomers to try to stop it.

Just wait until they find out there might be a Popeye's Chicken coming to town.

BTW, the majority of those relocating to Idaho seem to be from California, not Oregon.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...5-faf024a16f7c

Quote:
Many native Idahoans have watched their state transform over the years; however, some fear the Gem State is on its way to becoming the next California.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-17-2021 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2021, 08:44 PM

Forgot to include another typical scenario.

Transplant waits until Fluffy is at death's door before calling a vet. The local vet practices are extremely busy and can't always drop everything when there's an emergency, especially for non-patients, and they work normal business hours rather than around the clock. When the transplant is told that the nearest emergency vet clinic is in Springfield, they commence having a public meltdown all over local social media, threatening lawsuits, calling the local vets "heartless!!!" People with experience living in remote Oregon towns realize that not everything is always going to be at their fingertips, and responsible pet owners already know where the closest emergency vet is and have an emergency plan in place.

Of course they have a right to move to wherever they choose; no one tried to claim otherwise. But we also have the right to stand up for our friends and neighbors when they're the target of newcomer nitpicking and complaints, the right to be concerned if their ignorance and fear is causing wildlife to be unnecessarily destroyed, and the right to resent their meltdowns when they don't get their way.

But it's not my life that they're causing problems in; it's their own. As Silverfall said, many transplants wind up fleeing after they figure out that coastal life isn't what they'd thought it would be. The ones who fit in best are those who visit first, compare it to a few other places, take a realistic look at their needs and preferences (I don't understand why those who need specialized medical care move here and then complain when it's not available), and leave their sense of entitlement at the California border.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-17-2021 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-18-2021, 03:41 AM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Metlakatla, do you notice the same BS from people from Portland retiring to the coast?

Some of my friends are considering a house at the coast and I told them to stay in the valley we live in (for numerous reasons I have read about are issues at the coast). It sounds all dreamy; I mean, I'm going to retire with an ocean view and write a novel, etc. But, I wonder what the reality is like?

Old 12-18-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Metlakatla, do you notice the same BS from people from Portland retiring to the coast?

Some of my friends are considering a house at the coast and I told them to stay in the valley we live in (for numerous reasons I have read about are issues at the coast). It sounds all dreamy; I mean, I'm going to retire with an ocean view and write a novel, etc. But, I wonder what the reality is like?
I think people from other parts of Oregon have more realistic expectations about retiring on the coast than their California counterparts. As an example, there was a day last week when a huge storm was forecast, and a recent transplant was planning on zipping over to Eugene. She had no clue that a big storm was on the way -- hadn't even bothered to watch the local newscast for a weather report or check ODOT. An Oregonian would have known better this time of year. They would also know that amenities and services aren't what they may be used to, and they would know that living in a place with abundant natural beauty at your doorstep also means wild animals.

I'm sure that a lot of retirees on the coast are perfectly happy; it seems to depend on how realistic their expectations are and how well they've researched the area before deciding to move. I would advise your friends to get a rental for a few months before making a commitment to retiring here. They should get it during the winter. Lots of vacation rental availability during the off-season.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think people from other parts of Oregon have more realistic expectations about retiring on the coast than their California counterparts. As an example, there was a day last week when a huge storm was forecast, and a recent transplant was planning on zipping over to Eugene. She had no clue that a big storm was on the way -- hadn't even bothered to watch the local newscast for a weather report or check ODOT. An Oregonian would have known better this time of year. They would also know that amenities and services aren't what they may be used to, and they would know that living in a place with abundant natural beauty at your doorstep also means wild animals.

I'm sure that a lot of retirees on the coast are perfectly happy; it seems to depend on how realistic their expectations are and how well they've researched the area before deciding to move. I would advise your friends to get a rental for a few months before making a commitment to retiring here. They should get it during the winter. Lots of vacation rental availability during the off-season.

I was hoping you would say that (that us Portlanders are welcome (snicker, snicker)...

I also think they should just rent. I think they regret not picking up another property sooner. I was trying to get them to think more about the reality of buying at the coast before they take the plunge.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:52 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Slowlanes, #161.
Oregonians are probably not happy when Seattle people are easily out bidding everyone else.
One nice thing about Washington people, is that there are a lot nice places in Washington to resettle. Oregon not so many.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:

runs in cycles. North Coast is very dreary. Older people, long term owners. Family's PacificCity is now 50 years ownership. And that is young for where the house is located.
I've noticed in PC, that there was a rash of home buying June-current. Very few home are now for sale this winter. I am afraid that temporary summer rentals for summer help is going to be even more scarce.
In 2007 the housing crashed at the coast and one could pick up Bank Owned very cheaply. 300+ homes were for sale in Neskowin to PC to Sandlake alone by 2008. Didn't help when FEMA decided to redo flood maps for the Nestucca which put a hold on conventional mortgages.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
runs in cycles. North Coast is very dreary. Older people, long term owners. Family's PacificCity is now 50 years ownership. And that is young for where the house is located.
I've noticed in PC, that there was a rash of home buying June-current. Very few home are now for sale this winter. I am afraid that temporary summer rentals for summer help is going to be even more scarce.
In 2007 the housing crashed at the coast and one could pick up Bank Owned very cheaply. 300+ homes were for sale in Neskowin to PC to Sandlake alone by 2008. Didn't help when FEMA decided to redo flood maps for the Nestucca which put a hold on conventional mortgages.
For some reason I like Depoe Bay and Astoria. I really like Anacortes. But, I don't think coastal living is practical for retirement (unless you have tons of money) due to the higher maintenance costs.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
For some reason I like Depoe Bay and Astoria. I really like Anacortes. But, I don't think coastal living is practical for retirement (unless you have tons of money) due to the higher maintenance costs.
Pretty much correct. In western Oregon and WA, moving from wet to wetter, doesn't make much sense when you have an drier alternative in the opposite direction.

If the coastal house is in a sheltered area, off the beach by ~500+yds, stainless nails, and heated year round, you'd be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon