U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 01:17 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,626,084 times

Advertisements

Honestly, if you move to OR or even WA for that matter, you are going to meet a lot of CA transplants, bottom line. It's not like you would be the first or blazing a new trail.

I grew up in a smallish, CA coastal town (Hermosa Bch) that ended up getting completely overrun by 'outsiders' from all over the nation and world. So, yeah, many others have experienced that same dilemma. Back then it seemed to be wealthy business people from New York or Asia invaded our little town. There was a general dislike at some point for folks from those parts of the globe. Why? Because things changed so much including real estate prices going through the roof. Bigger McMansions squeezed closer together, more crowds, locals pushed out due to higher costs, etc... But eventually you either accept that things change or go find somewhere else you prefer which many did including us. This same story continues to play out all across America today.

Many OR and WA towns are going through similar growing pains. But this is not unique to the PNW. Rather, it is occurring all over the nation and world in the more desirable places to live. We experienced the same things while living in Colorado. Lot's of folks moving to AZ, TX, FL, CO, etc... CA just happens to be the most populous state in the nation. So, by sheer number, there are more moving everywhere - spreading out since CA has gotten so crowded.

I actually really like the idea of living abroad. Somewhere in Portugal or Spain sounds great to me. However, we also want to be closer to family including our kids. So, there's that aspect and reason to stay closer to the west coast. But if you like Europe and don't mind living abroad, you might seriously consider something over there. Some Americans have found a happy medium living 'part-time' overseas. That can offer the best of both worlds if you can swing it. Just something to consider.

Regarding Oregon and animals, there are lots of places for them to roam. So, it would be a good place for your horses.

My biggest concern with Ashland wouldn't all the haters. Rather, it would be the wildfires which are getting worse every year especially in that part of the state near the CA border. It's one of the most susceptible areas to fires and bad smoke lingering throughout fire season. That's a more significant concern and consideration. You may want to look at less fire prone areas of the state in your search. Here's a fire risk map of the state to give you an idea.

-- Oregon residents can map wildfire risks of their area

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-31-2020 at 01:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 AM

9,128 posts, read 3,838,074 times
54% of people in Oregon were born in other places. Native Oregonians are the minority, and the only group that really has any thing to worry about being discriminated against.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:09 AM

566 posts, read 610,605 times
Ashland is a lovely town, chock full of former Californians. People are very friendly. As others have said, the biggest concern is the risk from wildfires and the hazardous smoke from them. Even in tiny Gold Beach, the majority of my neighbors are from California. Not an issue whatsoever.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:50 AM

29 posts, read 15,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I haven't found this to be true and my CA clients have settled here just fine. There is nothing to be jealous or envious about with CA. If you prefer the state that is fine, but CA has its fair share of issues, just like every place does. People just need to decide if those issues are deal-breakers or not for them.
I trust a realtor less than a used car salesperson.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:35 PM

4,079 posts, read 5,174,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Ashland is a lovely town, chock full of former Californians. People are very friendly. As others have said, the biggest concern is the risk from wildfires and the hazardous smoke from them. Even in tiny Gold Beach, the majority of my neighbors are from California. Not an issue whatsoever.
Ashland is kind of an odd place in that it seems to attract Californians by the droves, but not Oregonians.

I have extended family in Oregon and between family, college friends, work acquaintances, and even HS friends I still track on Facebook, the circle of Oregonians that my wife and I know probably numbers well into the hundreds.

I don't know of a single Oregonian from elsewhere in the state who has chosen to move to Ashland for retirement, career, or any other reasons. I know a couple people who's careers took them to Medford, but not Ashland. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just that I think it is pretty uncommon.

But contrast I know LOTs of Oregonians who have moved to Bend, Sun River, Redmond, and other central Oregon towns like Madras and Prineville for retirement and such. I know some who have moved out to the coast or have property on the coast including Florence, Depot Bay, Manzanita, and Canon Beach. I know lots who have settled or stayed in the Willamette Valley including the areas in or around Eugene, Corvallis, and Salem. And I know a bunch who live in Portland or in the outer fringes of the Portland metro in places like Canby, McMinnville, Newberg, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Clackamas, and across the river in Vancouver, Camas, and Battle Ground. And I have retired family who have moved to Hawaii, Arizona, Washington, and Mexico

But I don't know a single Oregonian who has ever moved to Ashland.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:51 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,626,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Ashland is kind of an odd place in that it seems to attract Californians by the droves, but not Oregonians.

I have extended family in Oregon and between family, college friends, work acquaintances, and even HS friends I still track on Facebook, the circle of Oregonians that my wife and I know probably numbers well into the hundreds.

I don't know of a single Oregonian from elsewhere in the state who has chosen to move to Ashland for retirement, career, or any other reasons. I know a couple people who's careers took them to Medford, but not Ashland. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just that I think it is pretty uncommon.

But contrast I know LOTs of Oregonians who have moved to Bend, Sun River, Redmond, and other central Oregon towns like Madras and Prineville for retirement and such. I know some who have moved out to the coast or have property on the coast including Florence, Depot Bay, Manzanita, and Canon Beach. I know lots who have settled or stayed in the Willamette Valley including the areas in or around Eugene, Corvallis, and Salem. And I know a bunch who live in Portland or in the outer fringes of the Portland metro in places like Canby, McMinnville, Newberg, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Clackamas, and across the river in Vancouver, Camas, and Battle Ground. And I have retired family who have moved to Hawaii, Arizona, Washington, and Mexico

But I don't know a single Oregonian who has ever moved to Ashland.
Could it have been annexed to California in a secret under the table deal at some point? lol

I always thought Bend reminded the most of a planned CA resort type town. It even has a lot more attention given to biking lanes compared to most towns in the PNW. Those crazy, liberal, biking lobbyist forcing their will on city planners and law makers *before* everything gets built out. haha

Derek

Old 12-31-2020, 03:34 PM

14,700 posts, read 35,576,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
I trust a realtor less than a used car salesperson.
Was that supposed to hurt my feelings?

You don't have to trust me, but other people on the forum are backing up my experience. There is no irrational jealousy, envy, or ignorance toward Californias in Oregon. Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, and Texas all get CA transplants. We all complain about them driving housing prices up with their big cash from their home sales.

Oregonians prefer to hate on their governors instead. It is a hobby here.

Some people are just haters, but they are everywhere. You go on being you.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
One of my relatives retired and moved to Hillsboro last summer from CA and rented a house while researching where to buy. He has had no problems with Oregonians but finds it too crowded, so is looking farther out from the more populated areas.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:52 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,094,589 times
Default that fire-risk map

Thanks, Mtn Surfer! That online map is a great resource.

It looks like the entire Willamette Valley and coast range are comparatively-safe areas.
This year the valley still got heavy smoke from the fires in the Cascades, though.
Is that unusual? Are the prevailing winds normally eastward, so they'd carry
the smoke over the Cascades, instead of west and southwest to the Valley?

Old 12-31-2020, 05:52 PM

4,079 posts, read 5,174,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Could it have been annexed to California in a secret under the table deal at some point? lol

I always thought Bend reminded the most of a planned CA resort type town. It even has a lot more attention given to biking lanes compared to most towns in the PNW. Those crazy, liberal, biking lobbyist forcing their will on city planners and law makers *before* everything gets built out. haha

Derek
Bend has a lot of Californians too. But it is also extremely popular with Oregonians. I expect everyone in the Portland metro knows people who have retired to Bend or Redmond and/or who have vacation homes in places like Sun River or Black Butte or similar places. Just within my FB network of PTA, soccer, and band parents there are probably 6 families who have weekend places in Sun River. But hardly anyone knows anyone who has moved to Ashland or southern OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon