Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 08:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

Reno is great. One of my favorite towns in the west. Though I can see it declining as the years go by. Reno needs to diversify and increase non gambling business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 09:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
What about Grass Valley/Nevada City?

Old 06-15-2022, 11:25 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Expensive!

Old 06-16-2022, 12:41 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Before moving to Vancouver 3 years ago, we had actually narrowed our search down to this area or that north eastern side of Sacramento going up into the foothills.

Since we wanted more rain and green, Vancouver won. But that area has lots of positives going for it including great mountains, lakes and coastal access along with Bay Area proximity without those higher coastal CA costs. And of course, the weather is generally more mild year round. Though as you go up in elevation there is more snow. If someone from the PNW wanted more sun, it wouldn't be a bad place to land.

ETA: We were actually thinking of closer to Sacramento around Auburn. I just read a few reviews of Grass Valley/Nevada city from some locals and it sounds like it has really gone downhill due toModerator cut: link removed, competitor site in addition to Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Derek

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2022 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-16-2022, 10:23 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Personally, I cannot stand the lack of green which no amount of sun could make up for.
Same here -- I'd choose gray skies and a deep-green landscape over blue skies and a brown landscape.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:56 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Same here -- I'd choose gray skies and a deep-green landscape over blue skies and a brown landscape.
Yep, and you know you are adapting to the PNW climate when even the locals are complaining about the rain while you're still enjoying it. This late season rain has been wonderful for wildflowers, gardening and keeping everything super lush and green while reducing fire risks. I think its been very nice overall vs. heatwaves and drought conditions folks are dealing with further south. Here's a recent pic just after a storm in the Gorge.

Derek

Old 06-16-2022, 03:02 PM

No complaints about the rain here. We need the water.

But my home in Alaska is like the Oregon coast on steroids when it comes to lush and green, and it would be nice to have a place that's less similar

Old 06-16-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Before moving to Vancouver 3 years ago, we had actually narrowed our search down to this area or that north eastern side of Sacramento going up into the foothills.

Since we wanted more rain and green, Vancouver won. But that area has lots of positives going for it including great mountains, lakes and coastal access along with Bay Area proximity without those higher coastal CA costs. And of course, the weather is generally more mild year round. Though as you go up in elevation there is more snow. If someone from the PNW wanted more sun, it wouldn't be a bad place to land.

ETA: We were actually thinking of closer to Sacramento around Auburn. I just read a few reviews of Grass Valley/Nevada city from some locals and it sounds like it has really gone downhill due to Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Derek
That's too bad -- it was a nice area.

I toyed with the idea of getting a winter place around Red Bluff until I found out it was a dump too. Too hot in the summer, but the winter temps sound just right.

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2022 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-17-2022, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 1,694 times
As an Oregonian, I can't help complaining about Californian transplants. It's in my blood. That being said, I'm not gonna physically attack someone just because they're from California. Just don't be an a**hole, treat others the way you want to be treated, pick up after yourself, don't wait for five seconds at a traffic light, and you'll fit in just fine.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:05 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORUSCATE View Post
As an Oregonian, I can't help complaining about Californian transplants. It's in my blood.

That is funny - I am originally from Wisconsin which is otherwise known as Chicago's vacation or retirement destination.

The same feeling exists among a lot of "Cheeseheads" towards the the "Flatlanders" - A Colloquial term used to identify folks from Illinois, mostly Chicago. There are other terms but - they are not so nice. .

Do Oregonians have any funny or local terms used to describe Californians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon