Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 11:40 PM

5,440 posts, read 7,733,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
A sure fire way to really **** people off I've seen when I lived in Oregon, and it was a hot bed angry issue in the 1990s- a California resident would sell their McMansion in LA or something, move to Oregon flush with lots of cash and buy or build a huge outlandish house in Oregon- overpaying for it because the sellers see them coming with lots of money from rich California, and then because of them EVERYONE's property taxes near by gets hiked up, because of the way the system is rigged to go by recent home sales to assess home VALUES, so you figure in an area of $75,000 houses some jerk builds a $2 million McMansion on 20 acres, they assess that value and re-assess the values on everyone else around there.

I'm glad I live in the small midwest town of 1,700 I do, nothing changes, no corporate offices/ 200,000 sq ft production plants come in here, rich people dont come in and overpay on a couple of $25,000 houses on adjacent lots, tear them down and build a 10,000 sq ft monstrosity that raises everyones' taxes and home prices like they do elsewhere!

I bought my 2 bedroom 1100 sq ft 1930 farmhouse with full basement, on 1/2 acre in 1998 for $7,900, the annual tax is around $200, definitely dont need people moving in around here raising everyones' taxes!

People here are working stiffs, farmers or retired, nobody drives a BMW or has a $500,000 house with a 4 car garage here and that's how we like it.
Sure. Much of the country is actually like that. But how many kids in your small quiet economically stagnant small Midwest town of 1700 take a good look around when they turn 18, and flee without looking back? The majority of them I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 12:01 AM

13,066 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Oregon is full of emigrants. There's even a pamphlet published in 1840, called the Emigrant Road (something like that) that started it... The great immigration.
After 65 yrs,.as a Oregonian, moved to eastside Seattle area, where EveryOne is neither a native Washingtonian or native borne American. (Parents moved us from Arkansas in 1953.)

The weather in Seattle area is just as wet, but stays wetter longer and is darker. Cedars do very well here in Seattle. Cedars do rather poorly in Western Oregon, except for certain areas of the Oregon coast.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Oregon is full of emigrants. There's even a pamphlet published in 1840, called the Emigrant Road (something like that) that started it... The great immigration.
After 65 yrs,.as a Oregonian, moved to eastside Seattle area, where EveryOne is neither a native Washingtonian or native borne American. (Parents moved us from Arkansas in 1953.)

The weather in Seattle area is just as wet, but stays wetter longer and is darker. Cedars do very well here in Seattle. Cedars do rather poorly in Western Oregon, except for certain areas of the Oregon coast.
It's not just wetter. It's also that summers are more cloudy cooler and damp. Long stretches of sunny 90+ and even 100 degree days are common in the Willamette Valley. But rare in Seattle. It's because of the proximity to the ocean and Puget Sound which acts as a giant heat sink during the summer, just like the ocean does along the Oregon coast.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:48 AM

760 posts, read 768,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Sure. Much of the country is actually like that. But how many kids in your small quiet economically stagnant small Midwest town of 1700 take a good look around when they turn 18, and flee without looking back? The majority of them I suspect.

There are NO jobs around here outside of the non profit hospital here, the few stores- hardware store, service station, car dealership, florist, pharmacy, 2 restaurants, a couple of insurance agents, the supermarket- are mostly one or two person operations or "mom and pop" owned and rarely ever have any job openings. There is nothing here for families or kids to do other than go to the pool in the summer or the little non profit theater where tickets are $2. It's a very nice town where everyone knows everyone and nobody locks their doors or cars and nobody gets their stuff stolen out of their garage or driveway, kids leave their bikes laying around all night and they are still there in the morning. People leave lawn mowers and stuff out and nobody walks away with anything.
You want to do something with your house? it was $5 for a building permit when I added a room onto my house in 2010, no BS inspections or any of that even required.
I needed my van fixed recently, I texted the service station and because I had recent surgery I drove it in and he drove me home and later picked me up.
I asked the grocery store about home delivery and they said they could do that, same with the pharmacy.

Kids go off to college, they aren't coming back here- they move to big cities and other states where they can make a lot of money.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Oregonians feel about Calif. transplants-screen-shot-14.jpg  

Old 01-01-2021, 08:53 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Californians have been ruining the Northwest for decades. Its nothing new.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
A sure fire way to really **** people off I've seen when I lived in Oregon, and it was a hot bed angry issue in the 1990s- a California resident would sell their McMansion in LA or something, move to Oregon flush with lots of cash and buy or build a huge outlandish house in Oregon- overpaying for it because the sellers see them coming with lots of money from rich California, and then because of them EVERYONE's property taxes near by gets hiked up, because of the way the system is rigged to go by recent home sales to assess home VALUES, so you figure in an area of $75,000 houses some jerk builds a $2 million McMansion on 20 acres, they assess that value and re-assess the values on everyone else around there.

I'm glad I live in the small midwest town of 1,700 I do, nothing changes, no corporate offices/ 200,000 sq ft production plants come in here, rich people dont come in and overpay on a couple of $25,000 houses on adjacent lots, tear them down and build a 10,000 sq ft monstrosity that raises everyones' taxes and home prices like they do elsewhere!

I bought my 2 bedroom 1100 sq ft 1930 farmhouse with full basement, on 1/2 acre in 1998 for $7,900, the annual tax is around $200, definitely dont need people moving in around here raising everyones' taxes!

People here are working stiffs, farmers or retired, nobody drives a BMW or has a $500,000 house with a 4 car garage here and that's how we like it.
You are off by a decade. Oregon's property tax limitations kicked in during FY 1991-1992, and were finalized by Measure 50 in 1996. The only issue in the '90s was how to pay for schools and local government. Bond measures are not subject to the property tax limits, but you have to vote for those. What your neighbors do has no effect on your property taxes.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
How your neighbors vote, (and buy) has a lot to do with your property taxes.

When the majority vote changes stance, you may be forced to leave. (Displaced)

Californication (racheting property valuations/ taxes to be unaffordable), has displaced thousands of people in ALL non-Prop 13 states since the 1960s. The very people who spent decades and generations to build strong, beneficial communities, can no longer afford to live in those communities.

I spent one week/ month of my wages, it offset Californication of my property values. My family was displaced twice, and #3 is lurking at my door step. Property taxes went up from $800 to now = $14,700/yr. This is absolutely not a benefit, since we had no intention or desire to sell, and would need to find a replacement home. Our home is not an investment / tool for wealth. It is just a peaceful place to hang our hat, and snuggle up to a pillow. That security will again be ripped from us due to Californication of property values. BTDT 2x already, expecting at least 2 more times during retirement (no income) yrs. Just the same as our dear neighbors and friends.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
How your neighbors vote, (and buy) has a lot to do with your property taxes.

When the majority vote changes stance, you may be forced to leave. (Displaced)

Californication (racheting property valuations/ taxes to be unaffordable), has displaced thousands of people in ALL non-Prop 13 states since the 1960s. The very people who spent decades and generations to build strong, beneficial communities, can no longer afford to live in those communities.

I spent one week/ month of my wages, it offset Californication of my property values. My family was displaced twice, and #3 is lurking at my door step. Property taxes went up from $800 to now = $14,700/yr. This is absolutely not a benefit, since we had no intention or desire to sell, and would need to find a replacement home. Our home is not an investment / tool for wealth. It is just a peaceful place to hang our hat, and snuggle up to a pillow. That security will again be ripped from us due to Californication of property values. BTDT 2x already, expecting at least 2 more times during retirement (no income) yrs. Just the same as our dear neighbors and friends.
You need to find where Sculptor lives. He's only paying $200/yr in property taxes.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:49 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You need to find where Sculptor lives. He's only paying $200/yr in property taxes.
Haha, and stop picking beautiful places to live in with amazing mountains, lakes, rivers, coastal access, etc... Then, all of those darn people 'with money' from California, China, Russians etc.. will stop wanting to move there also. Developers will have no motivation to build. Population growth and real estate values will stagnate as will associated taxes. Otherwise, unfortunately, the outcome is *very* predictable across the nation. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if the same weren't occurring internationally as well.

The other option is move to California and lock in on Prop 13 to minimize getting taxed out of your home. There are more affordable, decent places to live in such a large state away from the hordes of people and coastal economic hubs. Sierra foothills or even the eastern side of the Sierra near Bishop are a few that come to mind.

Derek

Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Takes 20+ yrs to build a farm (Soils, orchards, barns, fences, forests, water and erosion systems...)

No time left for #4 ' build-a-farm-from-scratch'

Of course it is very trite and appropriate (expected) from... "I got mine, xxxxx you' urban / suburban dwellers (Majority of voters)

Wanna move?, sure (company pays, no sweat / effort required)... enjoy the new digs... rape, pillage, destroy ... continue as desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon