U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2021, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
9,128 posts, read 3,838,074 times
Reputation: 12279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There's a 5 acre parcel on the east edge of my property. The last time I checked, some Californian had paid $187,000 for it. It will never be buildable. My area is zoned ag-forest resource land, 80 acre lot minimum, 160 acre minimum to get a building permit. It has been zoned that way since 1983, when land use planning went into effect. Of course, there is also no water, and no road access. Somebody spent a lot of money without due diligence. There are recreational lots between LaPine and Bend that are also not buildable because they are a foot of soil on top of Newberry lava.

I always tell people who want to buy buildable acreage in Oregon to check with county planning before they waste their money.
Rich Californians don't care about stuff like that. $187,000 is pocket change for many if them. They buy land at any price, whether it's buildable or not. I had a friend in California who with her husband was renting a small old house in the city for $2,500 a month. The house was in a slightly sketchy neighborhood, but they liked it. They got evicted in 2012 when the owner wanted to sell the property. It sold for $946,000. Then the house just sat vacant. About two years later my friend was in the neighborhood, and saw the new owner working on the property. She introduced herself and told him they used to rent the house, and asked if he would be interested in renting it to them again. He told her, no, no, he wasn't interested renting the house out. He said the property was just a "project" for him, but he was too busy and didn't have the time to work on it. As of January 2020, the house was still sitting vacant in a deteriorated condition. That is at least a quarter of a million dollars of rent, if not more, that the owner could have gotten, and he could care less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2021, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
8,089 posts, read 3,494,508 times
Reputation: 5675
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It's not just wetter. It's also that summers are more cloudy cooler and damp. Long stretches of sunny 90+ and even 100 degree days are common in the Willamette Valley. But rare in Seattle. It's because of the proximity to the ocean and Puget Sound which acts as a giant heat sink during the summer, just like the ocean does along the Oregon coast.
My last summer in Oregon 2018, 30 days+ above 90. Here in the Sound area, it's rare to hit 80.
I do miss the stars in Oregon.
New Year's week at the coast, generally good weather and with a good clam tide early evening, I used to chase down clams in the Pacific City area but you got to watch out for the Big Clam's siphon hole. Carry a stick.
Sister now has the coastal house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2021, 02:27 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,079 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Reputation: 31273
out migration by county (interactive map) (Idaho is doomed at the moment, and pressured since 1970's)
https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html

Of course CA and TX (and others) do not recognize the local culture / values / community focused services they disrupt, then destroy communities, basically to eventually become what they were initially fleeing. (just like 'home' to them)

40+ yrs of working for and dealing daily with them (including 6 of the last 7 days)

very predictable;
  • I'm wonderful
  • I'm best
  • Notice me
  • I'm great
  • I only buy the best
  • In-N-Out is best
  • Whataburger is best (or at least BIGGER )

...

definitely always "I"

Quite a contrast to how good communities are (were) built.

Poof... then the communities are GONE. (forever changed) & finally Just like HOME

Wonderful.

The Dakotas definitely have their benefits and draw (beside the prime Black Hills spots that have already fallen). Just leave your farms, ranches, families, friends, churches, schools, libraries and communities behind as if you just wasted 40 yrs of your life and they never existed.
Cough up $100k and waste a few more yrs for a move you never hoped to make.

Same thing happened to the CA of the 1940's and 50's, and the Native Plains of the early 1800's, and CA and Texas territories of yesteryear. We (USA) are excellent at 'over-running' and inhabiting the lands of others. Freedom ! (MY freedoms)

There was such an easy simple solution (respect for others). A long lost personal quality for most.

Hey, I got MINE!!! Who cares about you We know who thinks they are BEST and most important! No questions about that
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
26,151 posts, read 34,638,046 times
Reputation: 54650
A quick summery of this thread: Californians who have moved to Oregon or are thinking of moving to Oregon are reassuring you that is it perfectly OK.


As for Oregonians, the housing prices are a sort of common but not so serious complaint. The real complaint is Californians moving to Oregon and setting about changing Oregon into a California cesspool. Look what they have done to Portland, which used to be a lovely, clean, reasonable, friendly town.


Another issue is that Californians have apparently never met a tax they don't like so they happily vote to increase taxes at every election.


That sort of stuff is not going to make you popular. But hey, the Californians will encourage you to move to Oregon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2021, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
6,258 posts, read 13,626,084 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A quick summery of this thread: Californians who have moved to Oregon or are thinking of moving to Oregon are reassuring you that is it perfectly OK.

As for Oregonians, the housing prices are a sort of common but not so serious complaint. The real complaint is Californians moving to Oregon and setting about changing Oregon into a California cesspool. Look what they have done to Portland, which used to be a lovely, clean, reasonable, friendly town.

Another issue is that Californians have apparently never met a tax they don't like so they happily vote to increase taxes at every election.

That sort of stuff is not going to make you popular. But hey, the Californians will encourage you to move to Oregon.
OP, its good you've heard various perspectives and some of the biases which exist. Just take what you hear on CD with a grain of salt like on the California forum. Perform you're own due diligence which will help you to make a more informed decision.

Regarding taxes, there are definitely those which the majority of Californians do not like which most are aware of. Those are property tax increases among others depending on who you ask. That's the biggest one and Prop 13 is enjoyed by all because limits are what the majority want. Unlike the myths and stereotypes you'll hear, not all Californians are liberal extremists who love every tax they see. lol

I would also recommend, WA as well. However, because of the lack of caps on annual property increases, rural land owners may get hit harder than on the OR side of the river. Just something to be aware of if you're looking for acreage and own horses.

Derek
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
10,665 posts, read 18,050,097 times
Reputation: 7422
I am searching for a term here... there is a provision where someone who owns a piece of property changes its status - maybe donates it to a special entity, returns it to 'native' condition, habitat restoration, for a tax credit. Maybe that is what is going on.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 01-03-2021 at 10:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,079 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Reputation: 31273
The Friends of the Gorge buy properties in the CGNSA and return them to NFS ownership. (That negativity affects our tax valuations as well). They paid over $2m for a nearby home that they tore down to build a park bench overlook.

Some of us may appear sensitive to the issue, having witnessed the sheriff come and remove our parents from the family ranch during my sister's HS graduation party due to Californication of property values. That left a lasting impression, but at least there were several guests who stayed around to help my parents pack 30+ yrs of farm and ranch accumulation into the stock trailers and semitrucks.

Considering our the proponents here have HS kids, they may be able to envision how that might work out at their next graduation party. (Post Covid). Dealing with some of those issues tonight with my sis. 40 yrs later. She's done ok, we all helped pay for her college and finding her and our parents a home and fresh start. But it significantly altered our lives and my dad went down the tubes within 2 months, so I got to care for him for the next 32 yrs.

Yes, this happens. 5 of my country school ranching classmates and neighbors were displaced by rising property valuations that exceeded affordability to long term residents.

Since my move west, I have assisted several retired neighbors facing the same dilemma. Some get moved in with adult kids, others to another state to start over. Some become homeless. All have died within 5 miserable years from them being kicked off their properties they spent decades building with the intent to live peacefully to their end. Lost an old neighbor this yr who died from the stress of knowing they would have to vacate. At least he died at his home, tho his spouse is destitute. (Which would have killed him anyway).

Sweet. Attitude... Free country. I got mine!
Sorry for your troubles(?) Not. Doesn't even register with most.
Got the Gimmes !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2021, 11:31 PM
 
Location: WA
4,079 posts, read 5,174,740 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The Friends of the Gorge buy properties in the CGNSA and return them to NFS ownership. (That negativity affects our tax valuations as well). They paid over $2m for a nearby home that they tore down to build a park bench overlook.

Some of us may appear sensitive to the issue, having witnessed the sheriff come and remove our parents from the family ranch during my sister's HS graduation party due to Californication of property values. That left a lasting impression, but at least there were several guests who stayed around to help my parents pack 30+ yrs of farm and ranch accumulation into the stock trailers and semitrucks.

Considering our the proponents here have HS kids, they may be able to envision how that might work out at their next graduation party. (Post Covid). Dealing with some of those issues tonight with my sis. 40 yrs later. She's done ok, we all helped pay for her college and finding her and our parents a home and fresh start. But it significantly altered our lives and my dad went down the tubes within 2 months, so I got to care for him for the next 32 yrs.

Yes, this happens. 5 of my country school ranching classmates and neighbors were displaced by rising property valuations that exceeded affordability to long term residents.

Since my move west, I have assisted several retired neighbors facing the same dilemma. Some get moved in with adult kids, others to another state to start over. Some become homeless. All have died within 5 miserable years from them being kicked off their properties they spent decades building with the intent to live peacefully to their end. Lost an old neighbor this yr who died from the stress of knowing they would have to vacate. At least he died at his home, tho his spouse is destitute. (Which would have killed him anyway).

Sweet. Attitude... Free country. I got mine!
Sorry for your troubles(?) Not. Doesn't even register with most.
Got the Gimmes !
Stealth is complaining about "excessive" property tax assessments in Skamania County WA where a quick google search tells me that "the median property tax bill is $1,480 per year for a home worth the median value of $244,600. Skamania County collects, on average, 0.61% of a property's assessed fair market value as property tax." Furthermore I found that: "The average yearly property tax paid by Skamania County residents amounts to about 2.67% of their yearly income."

Source: Skamania County Washington Property Taxes - 2021.

I verified these numbers on the State Department of Revenue web site: https://dor.wa.gov/about/statistics-...e-data-graphic

Last edited by texasdiver; 01-03-2021 at 11:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2021, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
6,258 posts, read 13,626,084 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Stealth is complaining about "excessive" property tax assessments in Skamania County WA where a quick google search tells me that "the median property tax bill is $1,480 per year for a home worth the median value of $244,600. Skamania County collects, on average, 0.61% of a property's assessed fair market value as property tax." Furthermore I found that: "The average yearly property tax paid by Skamania County residents amounts to about 2.67% of their yearly income."

Source: Skamania County Washington Property Taxes - 2021.

I verified these numbers on the State Department of Revenue web site: https://dor.wa.gov/about/statistics-...e-data-graphic
That's ok, let him blame Californians for all these woes if it helps him sleep better at night. You have to blame somebody, right? If all those Californians would stop moving places or at least all the states he's purchased his own homes/ranches in, that would solve everything. I mean, it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? No one else from any other state or nation would ever buy those same properties that state, local planning officials, developers and local residents have already decided to sell on the open market. Prices would never increase nor would taxes. Population growth would stagnate as would all change. Yep, that's the answer to all socioeconomic problems - the Californians just need to stop spending their money in these other states. In fact, they should stop moving their companies there as well. Who needs HP, Apple, Intel, eBay, Google, Tesla, etc. That will fix everything.

There you go, OP. Now you know what you've done before you've even done it. You're thinking of moving to another state and spending money there.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-04-2021 at 02:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2021, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
15,296 posts, read 14,706,525 times
Reputation: 25017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Maybe he's banking on a miracle change to current building codes. I would hate to think someone spends close to $200k without research first. But folks gamble more $$ on other things, I guess. I wonder if the land has any use?
It's not a building code issue, it's a land use issue. There is no access. There is a 20 foot vertical cut bank along the road, and the land is a 100% slope (45 degrees). There is NO water. The power lines stop at my driveway. There is no cell service.

Look at the occasional poster here who bought a lot sight unseen outside Chiloquin. It may have an address, but that doesn't mean there's a road.

I worked for a rich guy who owned an airline once. I built his international offices. He would come by the job shack and say, "Can you do this?" I told him, "I can do anything, if you write the checks." If someone has a spare million or two, it's amazing what you can accomplish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top