Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 08:17 PM

119 posts, read 122,119 times

Advertisements

Lately I’ve been researching the area around the Wallowa mountain range in NE Oregon. It looks very beautiful there, and property is cheap. Can anyone comment on the livability of this area? Joseph and Enterprise look good based on what I’ve seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 08:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatsby View Post
Lately I’ve been researching the area around the Wallowa mountain range in NE Oregon. It looks very beautiful there, and property is cheap. Can anyone comment on the livability of this area? Joseph and Enterprise look good based on what I’ve seen.
It's a beautiful and isolated area. Bring your own job with you though.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:36 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
It's a popular vacation area because the area is beautiful and there is some good fishing and rafting relatively close by, but beyond that, I don't have much to offer. I guess "property is cheap" is a relative term. It doesn't look all that cheap to me considering that the lower priced (not particularly cheap) land has no utilities, and the "cheap" houses are mobile homes.

I suppose it all looks cheap to someone from Manhattan, San Francisco, or Seattle.

If you are thinking it would be a nice place to move to because your employer is now allowing work-from-home, be very certain that you can get useful internet. Sometimes rural areas don't have internet access.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-05-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 02:37 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Joseph has cold winter weather compared to Western Oregon, with great summers, cooler than almost everywhere else in Oregon outside the coast. https://weatherspark.com/y/1999/Aver...tes-Year-Round

And, of course, it is a beautiful area: https://kuula.co/post/7P0Mh

A view of the Wallowa mountains from Baker County:

Old 12-05-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It's a beautiful and isolated area. Bring your own job with you though.
Haha noted, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's a popular vacation area because the area is beautiful and there is some good fishing and rafting relatively close by, but beyond that, I don't have much to offer. I guess "property is cheap" is a relative term. It doesn't look all that cheap to me considering that the lower priced (not particularly cheap) land has no utilities, and the "cheap" houses are mobile homes.

I suppose it all looks cheap to someone from Manhattan, San Francisco, or Seattle.

If you are thinking it would be a nice place to move to because your employer is now allowing work-from-home, be very certain that you can get useful internet. Sometimes rural areas don't have internet access.
Property in that area appears to be about 35% cheaper than homes in Tampa so that’s why it looks cheap to me. Granted, I could be looking in rough parts of town without knowing it.

You make a good point about internet access. I’ve been looking at Western NC too and that appears to be a problem there too. Apparently SpaceX is launching an internet service next year that should work anywhere so hopefully internet is a non-issue soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Joseph has cold winter weather compared to Western Oregon, with great summers, cooler than almost everywhere else in Oregon outside the coast. https://weatherspark.com/y/1999/Aver...tes-Year-Round

And, of course, it is a beautiful area: https://kuula.co/post/7P0Mh

A view of the Wallowa mountains from Baker County:
Thanks for the pictures!

I was looking more in this area and I’m beginning to think Joseph and Enterprise might be a touch too small. How are La Grande and Baker City? I saw they’re big enough to at least have a Starbucks.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
Both beautiful towns, friendly people.
La Grande has Eastern Oregon University there,along with the usual attendant benefits that come with a small college town.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinem58 View Post
Both beautiful towns, friendly people.
La Grande has Eastern Oregon University there,along with the usual attendant benefits that come with a small college town.
If you are going to look at Baker City and La Grande, then I'd also look at Walla Walla WA which is on the other side of the Wallowas and has more going on if you are looking for a bit larger city in the same general area. I drove out there a few weeks ago with my daughter for a college visit and was impressed with the town. Seemed quite nice. it's in the heart of wine country so vineyards and wineries all over the place.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
If you are going to look at Baker City and La Grande, then I'd also look at Walla Walla WA which is on the other side of the Wallowas and has more going on if you are looking for a bit larger city in the same general area. I drove out there a few weeks ago with my daughter for a college visit and was impressed with the town. Seemed quite nice. it's in the heart of wine country so vineyards and wineries all over the place.
Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Old 12-06-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatsby View Post
Thanks, I’ll check it out!
The city does promo videos: https://youtu.be/qHJsW0dV3Lo

Personally if I was going to live in that corner of the world, I'd choose Walla Walla over La Grande or Baker City or anything smaller. It's a bit further from the mountains but not that much further. You have skiing at Bluewood less than an hour away. And the Tri Cities are less than an hour away for when you want something larger. I've done small towns before and like the greater autonomy and anonymity of living someplace a bit bigger. Where you don't exhaust all the dining options in a week's time. But of course your mileage may vary. If you are looking at Joseph then none of those things would be important to you.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The city does promo videos: https://youtu.be/qHJsW0dV3Lo

Personally if I was going to live in that corner of the world, I'd choose Walla Walla over La Grande or Baker City or anything smaller. It's a bit further from the mountains but not that much further. You have skiing at Bluewood less than an hour away. And the Tri Cities are less than an hour away for when you want something larger. I've done small towns before and like the greater autonomy and anonymity of living someplace a bit bigger. Where you don't exhaust all the dining options in a week's time. But of course your mileage may vary. If you are looking at Joseph then none of those things would be important to you.
They sure did a good job on that video. And they didn’t even mention their biggest selling point to me which is no state income tax. Walla Walla looks ideal, I’m going to have to take a trip there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon