U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 06:45 AM

588 posts, read 2,110,955 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks, I will be taking a summer road trip up through Oregon and Washington with my son who is looking at the schools in this conference. He is looking to play baseball in college and is narrowing his search around the country of places he might like to continue education as well as his baseball career. Wondering which schools would be a good fit for him in regards to student body, campus appeal, affordability, baseball competitiveness, and general college experience. We will only have so much time for this trip, so I'm trying to prioritize this trip according from must sees to maybes. Can you shed any feedback on what you know of these schools or their locations to help create a driving roadmap. Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 07:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,377 posts, read 45,543,763 times
Please do a search on this, I remember a thread in WA or OR regarding this same subject (baseball). I think it referenced Linfield University as part of the choice.

Most importantly.... What are his educational objectives?

Old 03-02-2021, 07:31 AM

588 posts, read 2,110,955 times
Sorry, I forgot to list the schools involved. They are in no particular order: Pueget Sound, Linfield, Lewis and Clark, George Fox, Pacific, Pacific Lutheran, Whitman, Whitworth, Willamett. His interests in school include human physiology.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2021, 09:55 AM

14,766 posts, read 35,765,222 times
Well, define affordability. All of those are private schools so none are what I would consider affordable.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:53 PM

47 posts, read 12,617 times
Oregon State University has won the College World Series in recent years (2016&18). If baseball is the career he is pursuing then OSU would be the top option. OSU is in Corvallis, OR. It's a large University, but a compact campus. Meaning it is all in one place and not spread all over town. Corvallis is a big enough city to find fun things to do with free time, and is only an hour from the coast to the West, or skiing to the East. At OSU he could pursue most any degree.

If Baseball is a fun sport to go along with an education, then OSU would still be great, but there are other small-school choices. It mostly depends on his degree of choice. He likely won't get an engineering degree at Linfield or Lewis and Clark, but would get a great business degree, etc.

Ah, I see your second post. Hopefully he has been offered a scholarship to those schools. They are very expensive compared to the State schools, such as OSU. George Fox U. is very small and in Newberg, OR. Mom lives a couple miles off the campus. Newberg is certainly not a college town, and most people barely know the school is there.

I used to live near Lewis and Clark College (the Oregon School, not the L&C in Washington). The Oregon School is beautiful with a small compact campus. Used to play pickup basketball there in the winter. They had some covered outdoor courts.
It is on the edge of Lake Oswego, OR and very close to Portland. The campus sits by itself with woods mostly around it, so it is very private. He would have to drive or ride with someone to off campus activities or shopping. The school will not draw a lot of city attention, either in Lake Oswego or Portland. No one off campus will come to root on the baseball team or any other sports team.

I know of all the other schools you listed, and they are all small schools, that likely won't draw a lot of off-campus attention. Other than that I don't have much detail.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 PM

89 posts, read 27,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Oregon State University has won the College World Series in recent years (2016&18). If baseball is the career he is pursuing then OSU would be the top option. OSU is in Corvallis, OR. It's a large University, but a compact campus. Meaning it is all in one place and not spread all over town. Corvallis is a big enough city to find fun things to do with free time, and is only an hour from the coast to the West, or skiing to the East. At OSU he could pursue most any degree.

If Baseball is a fun sport to go along with an education, then OSU would still be great, but there are other small-school choices. It mostly depends on his degree of choice. He likely won't get an engineering degree at Linfield or Lewis and Clark, but would get a great business degree, etc.

Ah, I see your second post. Hopefully he has been offered a scholarship to those schools. They are very expensive compared to the State schools, such as OSU. George Fox U. is very small and in Newberg, OR. Mom lives a couple miles off the campus. Newberg is certainly not a college town, and most people barely know the school is there.

I used to live near Lewis and Clark College (the Oregon School, not the L&C in Washington). The Oregon School is beautiful with a small compact campus. Used to play pickup basketball there in the winter. They had some covered outdoor courts.
It is on the edge of Lake Oswego, OR and very close to Portland. The campus sits by itself with woods mostly around it, so it is very private. He would have to drive or ride with someone to off campus activities or shopping. The school will not draw a lot of city attention, either in Lake Oswego or Portland. No one off campus will come to root on the baseball team or any other sports team.

I know of all the other schools you listed, and they are all small schools, that likely won't draw a lot of off-campus attention. Other than that I don't have much detail.
Lewis and Clark is a nice school but very expensive. I have heard that it is possible to get a lot of aid in private schools. I went to a small public school and enjoyed it. I don't think we were ever bored. OSU is a great school and part of the Pac 12.

I still have a little time before we will be looking at colleges. My daughter knows she wants to go to college and right now she thinks she wants to go to some school up in WA which the name escapes me but not UW a smaller school I think in Olympia? She has it all planned out. She is in 9th grade. I hope she gets to go wherever she wants.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:21 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,248,194 times
My daughter is a HS senior and we visited the following schools in person on official college visits:

Lewis & Clark
University of Puget Sound
Whitman
Willamette

So we can answer any specific questions you might have about those four schools in terms of academics, campus environment, or general vibe. My daughter is not an athlete so we didn't look into anything to do with the athletic programs. Those four are probably the most elite academically and also financially as they all have endowments that are double or more the remaining schools. Especially Whitman, which is a cut above all the rest in terms of academics and wealth.

The schools that are probably most struggling financially are George Fox and Pacific. Linfield, PLU, and Whitworth are probably in the middle of the pack.

In terms of cost, my daughter was offered merit aid in the $30,000+ range at all those schools which bends the cost down quite a bit and brings it closer to say UW-Seattle. But she also had pretty stellar academic credentials.

Human physiology is probably going to fall into the bio departments at most small liberal arts schools. Whitman probably has the strongest overall biology department with Lewis & Clark second of the schools under consideration. University of Puget Sound has a program in physical therapy that is pretty unique for a small liberal arts college so if that is an interest, it would be worth checking out. It is a graduate degree program but there may be spillover to the undergrad level. Willamette has more of a reputation in the law and policy arena compared to the sciences. It is right next to the state capital and puts out a lot of grads who go on to public policy and law degrees. I judged their science offerings to be weaker than Lewis & Clark or Whitman and they have less students majoring in the sciences. PLU has a big nursing program and is pretty connected to the health care fields so that would be worth checking out if your son is looking at medical-related careers of some sort.

These schools are also all very different in their religious affiliations. UPS, L&C, Willamette, and Whitman are all secular. PLU, George Fox, Pacific, and Whitworth are all overtly Christian. Linfield used to be Baptist-affiliated but is shifting more secular. So that will affect the nature of those schools and the experience you get there.

Last edited by texasdiver; 03-03-2021 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 03:45 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,248,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
All the Pac-12 schools are going to be really difficult. One is going to have to be a top D1 prospect to land a spot on the roster at OSU or any of the other Pac-12 schools like UO, WSU, and UW.

The middle range might be the Catholic universities that play a level down in the West Coast Conference. That would include University of Portland and Gonzaga. There is also Seattle University that plays in the WAC.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,377 posts, read 45,543,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The middle range might be the Catholic universities that play a level down in the West Coast Conference. That would include University of Portland and Gonzaga. There is also Seattle University that plays in the WAC.
And these all would be worthy of OP's consideration (while in the neighborhood, and seeking a perfect fit for baseball and Physio majors).

Old 03-09-2021, 03:19 PM

3,690 posts, read 5,232,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Lewis and Clark is a nice school but very expensive. I have heard that it is possible to get a lot of aid in private schools. I went to a small public school and enjoyed it. I don't think we were ever bored. OSU is a great school and part of the Pac 12.

I still have a little time before we will be looking at colleges. My daughter knows she wants to go to college and right now she thinks she wants to go to some school up in WA which the name escapes me but not UW a smaller school I think in Olympia? She has it all planned out. She is in 9th grade. I hope she gets to go wherever she wants.
Olympia small school is probably Evergreen State College.

Their pedagogy is...eclectic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon