U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 11:25 AM

74 posts, read 27,795 times

Advertisements

Will your husband be teleworking, or does he have to go into the office/store/plant, etc. every day? His commute will be a big driving factor on where you should live.

West Linn is a great place to live and grow in my own hometown opinion. Walk ability will all be based on what area of town you want to live in. West Linn is pretty big land-wise. It is broken up by school areas: Bolton, Cederoak, Sunset, Rosemont, and Willamette, so there is no true downtown area. There is shopping near all those areas/schools, but then a few miles to the next shopping area. It is also a pretty hilly area, which limits your walking to your one neighborhood vs. walking between neighborhoods and shopping areas. But, there are nice parks spread out around the whole area, so it is pretty easy to walk to a park, or your kids can walk to a friend's house in the neighborhood. The schools are very nice, and some very new. People generally support the education system, so education money is generally not in short supply, plus the property tax base is pretty high.

It would just be a pretty killer commute ever day to Sandy!!! The I-205 bridge between Oregon City and West Linn is a choke point. The freeway goes from 3 or 4 lanes to 2 thru lanes across the bridge and then up the canyon towards the Willamette exit. There is no good alternative to get between the east and west sides of the river there, or really anywhere in Portland. You would be much better finding a neighborhood on the east side of the river for the commute to Sandy, if not living in Sandy itself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 12:17 PM

53 posts, read 31,506 times
Have a friend who owns a windsurfing/surfboard building business in Hood River, lives in Portland, commutes daily. Actually misses about 30 days each winter when it's just too dangerous to drive due to the winds and ice, days when multi-car and big rig accidents are common. And this is a guy whose been driving that road for 30 years in a BMW X5 he replaces every 5 years.
And conversely, during summer Hood River can be one of the hottest locations in OR, much warmer than the Sandy area.

Take a few days, fly in, look around, go with your instincts. No place is perfect

Old 04-13-2021, 02:07 PM

6,353 posts, read 13,811,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
Have a friend who owns a windsurfing/surfboard building business in Hood River, lives in Portland, commutes daily. Actually misses about 30 days each winter when it's just too dangerous to drive due to the winds and ice, days when multi-car and big rig accidents are common. And this is a guy whose been driving that road for 30 years in a BMW X5 he replaces every 5 years.
And conversely, during summer Hood River can be one of the hottest locations in OR, much warmer than the Sandy area.

Take a few days, fly in, look around, go with your instincts. No place is perfect
I can't help but wonder why not just live in Hood River if his work is there? I would guess there must be something very significant to make him drive that for 30 years. Maybe his wife has a job in PDX, perhaps?

Also, it would seem the morning rush traffic would always be much worse heading into Portland rather than going east. I think there are probably a lot more folks doing the reverse commute due to Portland jobs with Hood River tastes. We get the same thing from Vancouver, though obviously the commute is much closer than HR. There are just way more jobs in PDX than anywhere else in the region.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-13-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 12:46 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,063,467 times
I have lived in Oregon all my life. Do not move to Hood River if it involves commuting.
You don't want to drive I-84 in the winter. Sometimes it is shut down for days. Ice and high winds are the problem. It's dangerous. You don't want to live along the Columbia river gorge. See if you can Google some news footage of it.

I don't know about the schools in Sandy or Boring, but they probably have private schools if you are concerned about academics. Unless things have changed in recent years you could get more house for your money in Sandy or Boring, possibly acreage if you were interested in that.

West Linn is a nice area, btw. It's a little over an hour to hit the ski slopes. A couple hours to the coast.

I don't know where you are coming from, but Oregon tends to have wet, heavy snow. If, as a family, you are interested in hiking, you will also want to head to Bend for recreation. Mt. Bachelor is another place to ski and hike. Southern Oregon is another place to explore. There's hiking pretty much everywhere you turn in Oregon. Plenty of rivers to fish in, too.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:52 AM

26,682 posts, read 35,697,094 times
The commute into Sandy from Portland is miserable, too. There is no good road from Portland to Sandy and the surface roads you would have to use are jammed with slow moving traffic.

Live close to your husband's work and then you only have to face the traffic conditions on weekends if you want to go into Portland for shopping or play.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:56 AM

9,399 posts, read 4,051,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I have lived in Oregon all my life. Do not move to Hood River if it involves commuting.
You don't want to drive I-84 in the winter. Sometimes it is shut down for days. Ice and high winds are the problem. It's dangerous. You don't want to live along the Columbia river gorge. See if you can Google some news footage of it.

I don't know about the schools in Sandy or Boring, but they probably have private schools if you are concerned about academics. Unless things have changed in recent years you could get more house for your money in Sandy or Boring, possibly acreage if you were interested in that.

West Linn is a nice area, btw. It's a little over an hour to hit the ski slopes. A couple hours to the coast.

I don't know where you are coming from, but Oregon tends to have wet, heavy snow. If, as a family, you are interested in hiking, you will also want to head to Bend for recreation. Mt. Bachelor is another place to ski and hike. Southern Oregon is another place to explore. There's hiking pretty much everywhere you turn in Oregon. Plenty of rivers to fish in, too.
The OP appears to be coming from the Central Valley of California. She doesn't seem to be participating in this thread anymore. My gut feeling is, she didn't like the suggestions. She wanted somebody to tell her that Hood River would be a great place to live, and the commute to Sandy would be easy peasy.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:12 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,063,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The OP appears to be coming from the Central Valley of California. She doesn't seem to be participating in this thread anymore. My gut feeling is, she didn't like the suggestions. She wanted somebody to tell her that Hood River would be a great place to live, and the commute to Sandy would be easy peasy.
If that's the case, then she gets what she deserves. One would hope they would drive from the areas they are thinking of living to where he's going to work, preferably during the time of day he would be commuting, before commiting to buying a house. But, not our circus and not our monkeys.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:35 PM

74 posts, read 27,795 times
I looked at OP's posts from the past. She's asked this same question once or twice before in the last year.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:07 PM

26,682 posts, read 35,697,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
......... But, not our circus and not our monkeys.

Well, there is always that. You can give advice but no one is obligated to take it.

I think that Hood River is fine, but not such a great place that it is worth enduring great hardships in order to live there. That commute would be a hardship.

Oh wait.... maybe OP doesn't like her husband much and she has to spend less time with him if he is spending 3-4 hours a day commuting back and forth from work?

Old Today, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 30,497 times
I'm actually still here, reading all these! Thank you for posting. My husband is in fire, we were in Montana and Idaho for 20 years before his job brought us to California. I have driven I-90 in winter more times than I can count, and my husband commuted for a year between Idaho and Montana, driving over mountain passes through blizzards. Not ideal. Hood River IS great, but not worth what sounds like some pretty hairy PNW commuting.

My husband has decided he wants to be in West Linn and commute for the four years he has left of work. The schools are great and he already loves all the road biking routes. We'll have to enjoy HR with the rest of Portland, when we can. :-) Thx again for all the advice!!!

p.s. accidentally posted once in the Portland forum, then couldn't find it again and posted again in the Oregon forum. Not sure how to delete a post since I'm hopeless with tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon