Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband just accepted a job at Intel in Hillsboro, and we'll be relocating there from AZ in June. Neither of us has ever been to the area, so I'm looking for some insight. We are planning on renting for now. We've got 2 young kids, but the oldest will be starting kindergarten within a couple of years, so schools are important.

We would love to rent a house so the kids will have a yard, but we're open to apartments or townhomes as well. I've read that Hillsboro is nice, parts of Beaverton, and I think Bethany? Are there areas we should avoid? What's the transit system like? We do have family in Vancouver, but won't have reason to head that way often, so I'm more interested in finding the best balance of price, schools, and distance from work.

Also just curious, are there any smaller towns in the general area that might have properties with a little land (we'd like to find that when we decide to buy, and I'm not sure if that's even an option out there?)

I have no idea what rentals are going for in the area either, so any insight on what to expect there would be nice.

Thanks for any tips you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 05:15 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
The more affluent parts of Bethany and Beaverton (mostly the area north of US-26) are going to have the most highly rated schools, mostly because they are the most affluent. Westview and Sunset are the two highest rated high schools in the Beaverton area and all of the feeder elementary and middle schools for those two will also be highly rated. That would be the two green zones on this map. https://www.zipdatamaps.com/schools/...tendance-zones

But honestly there aren't any bad areas anywhere on the west side of Portland.

The Hillsboro area is going to be more diverse economically and socially with a very large Hispanic population compared to Beaverton.

If you want smaller towns then you could look over towards Forest Grove which is not far away.

There is light rail service between Hillsboro and Portland with multiple stops in Beaverton plus an extensive bus network.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM

85 posts, read 115,154 times
There is a raging housing bubble right now. You'll have to overpay for a decent home. You're competing against high income Intel and Nike employees.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,779,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjelaarnold View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband just accepted a job at Intel in Hillsboro, and we'll be relocating there from AZ in June. Neither of us has ever been to the area, so I'm looking for some insight. We are planning on renting for now. We've got 2 young kids, but the oldest will be starting kindergarten within a couple of years, so schools are important.

We would love to rent a house so the kids will have a yard, but we're open to apartments or townhomes as well. I've read that Hillsboro is nice, parts of Beaverton, and I think Bethany? Are there areas we should avoid? What's the transit system like? We do have family in Vancouver, but won't have reason to head that way often, so I'm more interested in finding the best balance of price, schools, and distance from work.

Also just curious, are there any smaller towns in the general area that might have properties with a little land (we'd like to find that when we decide to buy, and I'm not sure if that's even an option out there?)

I have no idea what rentals are going for in the area either, so any insight on what to expect there would be nice.

I have a family member living in Vernonia which is in the mountains but not that far from Hillsboro. Not sure about the schools but his daughter went there and I never heard of any issues. Homes are less expensive and can have land with land at various sizes. His home is in escrow and he will be moving out next month. Might be worth while looking at Vernonia if you like a small town with basic amenities and an easy drive to Hillsboro and Portland.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:32 AM

85 posts, read 115,154 times
Vernonia is not an easy drive from Hillsboro and Portland.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:01 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,844,287 times
It's about 45 minutes from Hillsboro to Vernonia. I associate Vernonia as being a slightly depressed area, but I suppose as prices of homes have risen in Portland that it may have improved in recent years as people have been moving farther out. You might find something between Vernonia and Hillsboro.

Wherever you look for housing......You want to avoid needing to use Hwy 217. It's awful.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:56 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,844,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjelaarnold View Post
Hello everyone,

Where are you coming from? Someone might be familiar with the area and could possibly give you a little comparison between where you are now and where you are going.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:09 AM

469 posts, read 432,234 times
Banks is another small town option within 20-minutes of Hillsboro. Handful of Intel folks in the area. Land can be had.

Bethany is nice.

Both Hillsboro and Forest Grove have nice options. Just pay attention to which area as things do vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Cooper Mountain area of Beaverton is nice, and keeps you within 20-minutes of Intel (Ronler Acres I assume?). Great nature preserve right there.

In general I would steer clear of Aloha. There are some decent pockets, but overall area has degraded over the years IMO.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2021, 01:07 PM

441 posts, read 438,710 times
I live in WA country Tanasbourne area. The townhouse we live in is 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bath with a two car tandem garage. We pay about $1900 a month. it's quiet near PCC Rock Creek and is in Beaverton school district.

It is very close to Intel maybe 2 or 3 miles.

Grocery stores close Trader Joes, Barnes and Nobles.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:59 AM

7,476 posts, read 3,215,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
Vernonia is not an easy drive from Hillsboro and Portland.

Be aware than Vernonia floods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon