Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 12:48 PM

162 posts, read 155,115 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the weather forecasts for locations around Oregon a bit this past winter - mostly checking out the weather for Portland and the coast. I have often seen stretches of a few days that were supposed to be sunny or partly cloudy and pretty mild temperatures. This seems far nicer than what you typically think of for a PNW winter. How has it actually been this winter and in recent winters? I know the summers are getting hotter and dryer, for the worse. Are winters also getting sunnier, and maybe nicer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 12:54 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
I have been looking at the weather forecasts for locations around Oregon a bit this past winter - mostly checking out the weather for Portland and the coast. I have often seen stretches of a few days that were supposed to be sunny or partly cloudy and pretty mild temperatures. This seems far nicer than what you typically think of for a PNW winter. How has it actually been this winter and in recent winters? I know the summers are getting hotter and dryer, for the worse. Are winters also getting sunnier, and maybe nicer?
In my opinion, we are getting more sun during the winters than we used to.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I agree with Sivlerfall, but by the same token, there are always some stretches of sunny and warmish weather during winter. Usually have a week or so of false spring in February. But most of the stage is in some stage of drought, so...

Old 03-14-2022, 02:08 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
I don't know, it's been pretty cloudy on the coast, not that that is anything unusual. We have only had a few sunny days recently. Sunday was pretty stormy and we got a half inch of rain.

Still though, we are showing as in moderate drought.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:07 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Mild temperatures are pretty much the norm in the winter, particularly compared to MN. Most of the time we are above freezing, but we do get periods of days in a row with lows below freezing (highs rising above freezing), and then every few winters a string of days with highs below freezing.

To me, it's not the temps but the overcast that is the hallmark of PNW weather and that doesn't seem much different this winter than it ever has in the past. We have many more dark, cloudy days in the winter vs. bright, sunny ones. Even if the number of sunny days has increased incrementally over time, I'd still classify our weather as gloomy.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:31 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
It is important to note that Oregon has micro-climates all over the place. So Portland is more gloomy than Salem. I lived up there 20 years ago and immediately saw more sun in Salem than up there. The same is true for the coast. Some cities will get more sun than a neighboring city. because of topography. Portland had so much more morning fog than Salem and some cities on the coast have that as well.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:09 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Here in southwest Oregon, we had about 3 weeks of winter & about 8" of snow. Snowed only 1 time this winter, except a light dusting.
Now it has been acting like Spring. Some days sunny, some cloudy, small amount of rain.
We need much more rain & some snow. We are in a drought, have been for several years.
Most of the days lately have been in the 50's-60's...nights about 30's-40's.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:13 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,540 times
Here in Central Oregon I have noticed a lot more intensely windy days, as Climate Chaos ping-pongs back and forth. Many are saying it is the worst ski year they can remember due to bouncing from a blizzard, to mush, then refreezing into an ice pack, rinse and repeat. Many more injuries and deaths due to ice (even with helmets being a thing). And snow pack, other than that claimed by Bachelor (that must be measured at the summit) has been sparse, except for a day after blizzards before it becomes ice or slush.

In the flatlands of Central Oregon it is just plain dry, with official drought conditions going on. Already all the signs of Spring in early March. Reservoirs are not filling up, wells are running dry. Storms are predicted, then they fade into a cloudy or sunny dry day when the day actually arrives.

It is going to be a terrible Summer of dust and fires.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:47 PM

330 posts, read 428,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It is important to note that Oregon has micro-climates all over the place. So Portland is more gloomy than Salem. I lived up there 20 years ago and immediately saw more sun in Salem than up there. The same is true for the coast. Some cities will get more sun than a neighboring city. because of topography. Portland had so much more morning fog than Salem and some cities on the coast have that as well.
I googled this to see if I could find a good map, especially of the Willamette Valley. I'm still reading, but feel free to share your favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post

It is going to be a terrible Summer of dust and fires.
I hope not.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:48 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,512,757 times
In Eugene at the southern end of the Willamette Valley, this winter has been pretty much normal temperature wise. We had about 8" of snow in late December, which usually only happens every few years.

But the rain deficit since the new year is very disturbing. In January we chalked up about 70% of our normally expected amount, and last month less than 20%. For this month so far we are at about normal.

I thought I left this sort of thing behind when I left SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon