Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 03:23 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdad View Post
Cloudy Dayz......I definitely sympathize with those who have lost their homes. I did not realize that so many people are still waiting for housing in the Ashland area. Furthermore, I don't want to be placed on any waiting list that would hinder their chances of gaining access to housing. The Ashley apartments actually placed the ad in Craigslist so that is why I applied.
The fires are only the tip of the iceberg. You are trying to move to the most expensive, most desirable place in Southern Oregon. If you want to move to Oregon you are going to have to broaden your search area. But right now I'm not sure you can broaden it enough. When I moved to Oregon six years ago, getting affordable housing was a piece of cake, if you were flexible in the location. But I'm not sure the same can be said now. Coos Bay is now filled with displaced fire victims. We have lots filled with hundreds of FEMA trailers right now, and trucks are running up and down Highway 101 trying to distribute them all. I don't know how that is affecting the wait lists for rentals, but it can't be good.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:03 PM

37 posts, read 144,385 times
You are correct, I did not specify Ashley Senior apartments but I did state that it was for senior housing.

In fact here is the ad:
https://medford.craigslist.org/apa/d...309990086.html

I've worked hard all of my life and to the best of my knowledge never got a nickel from the government until I started receiving social security........and I have paid immensely into that fund. Several times in my life I have earned more than $100K often working 50+ hours a week and yet only have a few hundred thousand in savings. Why? Not that I have to explain myself to this level of detail but in the effort of educating a few folks on this board so you not judge someone as you don't know what they've been through. I had to sell my house at a steep loss due to an onslaught of severe health issues where I lost my job and had to live off savings......this went on for years and I did not skip out on my debt like many others did in the last housing crisis. I have a 850+ credit score. So that's why I get particularly pissed off when people assume I'm trying to live off of the taxpayers. I bet I've paid more taxes than my critics on this board!

As far as how difficult is it to get in the Ashley Senior apartments? All I know is that the person who I spoke to (Manager) said it would probably be a 6 to 12 month wait time. I was surprised it was only that long. Also, the person who I spoke to informed me that no resident can make more than $41K. When I told her that I make not quite that amount she replied that I would not qualify for subsidized housing which was about $577 but I would qualify to live there and would have to pay the maximum which I believe was $775. So according to the manager I would not receive any subsidized housing. Perhaps the owner gets a tax break for the amount of people that do not qualify for subsidized housing.......I didn't ask her so that's all I know.

To answer the critics of why I chose Ashland as a place to live when I'm on a tight budget? My response is that most expenses come from medical, real estate taxes, and rents. Most places in the country have rents over $1K. I'm sure there are areas that are maybe half that price, however, I can afford to live well and still pay $1K or a little over. I just don't see why Ashland will be anymore expensive than any other place in the country. I don't own real estate and don't go out to eat much at all so what am I missing? My medicare plan is actually cheaper in Ashland and we've already discussed the cost of rentals so what else am I missing? Food? I'm a vegetarian and eat a lot of lentils......ha! In addition, I don't drink alcohol or smoke marijuana. My main vice is buying tennis balls and frequently restringing my tennis racquet, which I have my own machine to do so. You negative people on this board crack me up.....why not choose happiness over hatred and anger? Meditation is a good tool to "let go" and live in peace. Perhaps some should give it a try?

I think we've beaten this subject into the ground. Again, thanks to those who had helpful responses. But really, I was just looking to find out if anyone lived at the Ashley Senior apartments or knew of someone who lived there.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:11 PM

37 posts, read 144,385 times
Cloudy Dayz, sounds like the situation with housing is very serious. Did the person at the Ashley Senior apartments lie to me about the 6 to 12 month waiting time? I don't have any reason why she would lie. Maybe there just is not very many seniors that lost their homes in the fire? Seems to me they would be breaking down the doors at the Ashley apartments but evidently that is not the case. Also, if there are seniors that have lost their homes in the fire and are looking to rent at Ashley I would whole heartedly agree that they be placed above me on the waiting list. But it's a head scratcher as to why the Ashley Senior apartments are soliciting people to put their names on the wait list when there are so many looking for rentals?

Yes, there are other areas that are desirable such as in Colorado and will also look there as well.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:39 PM

330 posts, read 428,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
OP... you'd probably better stop reading these posts. People often have an axe to grind about Ashland, usually people who've never lived there. Housing is expensive (news flash! -not-) but if you can find a suitable situation (as many people have, including my family) than it'll be a lovely move for you. Honestly, all of southern Oregon is relatively expensive. Having moved across the country in last year or so, I'm experiencing how much less expensive other parts of the country can be. That said, there are qualities of life that are worth the expense if it's what you want. One way that living in Ashland saves you money, is that the quality of life is all around you in the people, the beauty, the easy access to local art and culture that is of an amazingly high quality for such a remote small town. You don't have to travel to experience those things, they are right there all around you all the time.

You seem well aware of the affordable housing challenge. As for the rest of the negative commentary about the town, it's usually based on money issues (housing costs, local taxes) or political ones (some condemnation of alternative or progressive attitudes) or just resentment based on some psychological dynamic I have nothing to say about, but Ashland is a very sweet community. One of the reasons housing is tight is because if people are lucky to enough to live there they seldom leave. That tells you a lot about it.

(And, thank you, yes, we are happy in our new location. Our move from Ashland was based on work and family factors, but we were lucky to have 20 wonderful years there and that's a lot. Plus we still have family there, so visits to Ashland will also be an ongoing part of our life.)
a lovely post!

Old 06-03-2021, 08:18 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdad View Post

I think we've beaten this subject into the ground. Again, thanks to those who had helpful responses. But really, I was just looking to find out if anyone lived at the Ashley Senior apartments or knew of someone who lived there.
!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon