Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 09:18 PM

15,190 posts, read 8,790,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Why would you worry about something that might not happen for 1000s of years?
Some people just need something to worry about, and they find what ever they can to fill that void.

Lets all escape before this once in a 1,000 year tsunami hits, and move to some place like Oklahoma where the tornado sirens blare every other day, and we have something real to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 09:55 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,460,366 times
Ah yes, but they have tornado shelters and warning sirens. They can go to secure areas.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Ah yes, but they have tornado shelters and warning sirens. They can go to secure areas.
1. There are virtually no tornado shelters. People just hide from the tornados in their basements or in their bathrooms. Which is why over 80 people a year die in tornados.

2. Yes they have tornado warning sirens, and we have tsunami warning sirens, and much more warning and time to evacuate.

3. If you can't understand the threat difference in something that kills 80 people a year and something that kills zero people in 50 years, I can't help you, nobody can help you to understand.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 3,874 times
The Cascadia Quake is supposed to devastate Vancouver, British Columbia, Seattle, and Portland as well. I'd rather be in a small coastal town than a mega-city when the quake hits. Fewer humans needing support/services.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:32 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,050,457 times
We should all be worried about the Cascadia Fault, earthquake and tsunami... just like we should all be worried about being hit by lightning in a thunderstorm, driving in a snowstorm, during hurricane season in the southeast, etc. Think ahead, be prepared, have a plan, and if the worst happens be ready to move. If I were buying on the coast I'd look for areas to get above the tsunami zone. I probably wouldn't want a river between me and the hills (say in Seaside for example). In most areas of the coast the hills start just to the west of HWY 101. As long as the earth doesn't open up between me and the hills I'll probably be OK... if anything happens in my lifetime.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:20 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,194,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyveganPDX View Post
The Cascadia Quake is supposed to devastate Vancouver, British Columbia, Seattle, and Portland as well. I'd rather be in a small coastal town than a mega-city when the quake hits. Fewer humans needing support/services.
Oregon has mapped out some of the earthquake hazards. You can go to HAZVU to see how it will impact certain areas.

The High-Risk Earthquake Induced Landslide Hazard zones are on there as well as the soil liquefication areas. The type of soil is really important so if you decide living on the coast is safer than Portland, but you move into a liquefication zone, that might not be true.

Then there is the tsunami.

Small towns mean fewer people but it also means fewer services so you just need to be a self-sufficient person.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:51 AM

28 posts, read 15,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyveganPDX View Post
In some ways, yes, but where are relief crews going to go to fix things first -- restore water and electricity, repair bridges, and bring in additional supplies, groceries and the like? It won't be the small towns.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:38 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,445,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Um, I'm not sure that is completely true. Port Townsend was founded in 1851 as a shipping port. According to Wikipedia the mill didn't open until the 1920s. The town was already 70 years old at that time.

As for Newport, it was founded in 1882. I don't believe Newport was ever a mill town. Toledo has a long history going back to 1866, with the current town being incorporated in 1905. The first mill opened in 1918.

I'm pretty sure all the port towns in the PNW would exist, even if the timber industry never existed. They existed before the mills opened and continue to exist after the mills close. Though if you listen to some natives talk, you would think that timber is the only thing the PNW has going for it.
Bellingham, Washington became a mill town first. The Natives guided them along Bellingham Bay and when they saw the falls that rushed to the bay and all the huge stands of virgin and old growth evergreens, their mill site was established.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Bellingham, Washington became a mill town first. The Natives guided them along Bellingham Bay and when they saw the falls that rushed to the bay and all the huge stands of virgin and old growth evergreens, their mill site was established.
Very interesting history, but I think that needs some more research. Technically you might be right. The first business there was a mill. But the mill was not really that successful, and was gone long before the town was established. It seems like coal was a much more successful industry about that time. The city was incorporated in 1903, and this article says that the first mill in Bellingham opened in 1926 and continued to grow until the 1960s and finally closed down in the early 2000s. It sounds to me like another town that was established before the mills, and continues to go strong after the mills closed. It sounds like a lot of Bellingham success is that it has always had a very diverse economy.

Quote:
In 1926, Ossian Anderson opened Bellingham’s first pulp mill on the south side of the Whatcom Waterway creating a new economic opportunity for Whatcom County’s extensive timber resources. In the years after, Pacific Coast Paper Mills and Puget Sound Pulp were founded and operated as major employers on the waterfront.
History — Downtown Waterfront Bellingham

Old 09-09-2021, 04:22 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,671,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It seems like coal was a much more successful industry about that time.
True. Downtown Bellingham is built over a large coal mine, and there are many other areas of town built over smaller coal mines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon