U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,104 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband has started working in Newport, it is seasonal but we would like to stay. I was up there last week and fell in love with the town. I have notice it is hard to find an apartment that is available. We do have a travel trailer that we are going to be taken, but have not found a RV park to put it. I would like to be able to get everything packed here and moved up there by September. I would like to be established there so that our 4 year old child can get into daycare. I am trying to see if I can keep my job that I have since I am working remotely but if not I will be looking for work.
I don't know where to start since this is a big move. Anyone with recommendations on any available apartments or RV park, my husband is staying in a motel that the employer put him in. We are willing to go north to Depoe Bay or Lincoln City and even south, but want to stay in Lincoln County.

I have been calling around and everything is full with no waiting list. I am at a lost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 03:38 PM

24,044 posts, read 32,365,509 times
Finding a place will not be easy (and neither will living in a travel trailer during winter with a four-year-old and doing remote work).

You might try Tiny Tranquility in Waldport.

https://tinytranquility.com/trailers...ites-for-rent/

Rentals are really hard to find all up and down the coast. Your husband should let everyone he works with know he's looking for a place; personal networking can pay off here.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:38 PM

4,712 posts, read 6,417,564 times
Worst case scenario you can look for temporary lodging in Corvallis or Philomath until something comes up on the coast. It would be a 45 to 60 min commute depending on exact locations.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:52 AM

1,692 posts, read 830,234 times
Finding a place for the travel trailer will be hard this time of year. Use google maps/earth and look at the places close to Newport for the smaller local places to put your TT. Most of the bigger ones don't allow long term anyway.

Personally I think the tiny tranquility suggestion would be a huge waste of your time. It is full of insanely overpriced home made travel trailers and they prefer vintage TTs when factory made.

In Newport try Harbor Village RV park, Sawyer's Landing Marina and RV, or even the Port of Newport RV Park till you find something.

In Depoe Bay there is Martin's Trailer Harbor and a little north of town there is Boiler Bay RV Park.

Toledo has one downtown but I have no idea the name.

Best of luck.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 AM

Thank you all, we will continue to search. We may need to go inland and then wait and see if anything opens up. Just wanted to get established somewhere so we are not up rooting our child once she starts school .

Any recommendation on what cities/town inland.

Between the two cities of Corvallis and Philomath what the pros/cons just in general.

Last edited by oceanbreezedreamer; 07-26-2021 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbreezedreamer View Post
Thank you all, we will continue to search. We may need to go inland and then wait and see if anything opens up. Just wanted to get established somewhere so we are not up rooting our child once she starts school .

Between the two cities of Corvallis and Philomath what the pros/cons just in general.
The real difference is about 6 miles. I am sure some might do it but I couldn't imagine how horrible it would be to drive between either and Newport for work several times a week. On the rare nice day it is not bumper to bumper with tourists pulling campers it is really fun to take in a nice sports car.

If wanting to live in either place it should be really easy to get a job in Corvallis.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:13 PM

4,712 posts, read 6,417,564 times
Quote:

Philomath is more of a small town feel. The HS only has about 500 students. Schools are generally well rated but not as well resourced as Corvallis.

Corvallis is a much larger college town with top rated schools and will likely be more expensive. It is further away from the coast, especially if you are located on the east side of town.

As others have said. Probably not the ideal option for working in Newport. But if you are in a pinch and you have kids, I'd rather be living in a regular apartment in Corvallis than living in a camping trailer somewhere on the coast. People do make the commute. It isn't that unusual. The Corvallis to Newport drive is probably the shortest of any of the valley to the coast commutes. All the other Willamette Valley cities are further away from the ocean compared to Corvallis.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Did you ever make the move to Dallas? If so it really isn't much farther drive to Newport from there than Corvallis to Newport.

Not sure if you looked but the RV park just north of Depoe Bay has a advertisement in the Newport paper for $625 a month. Boiler Bay RV Park

Old 07-28-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Did you ever make the move to Dallas? If so it really isn't much farther drive to Newport from there than Corvallis to Newport.

Not sure if you looked but the RV park just north of Depoe Bay has a advertisement in the Newport paper for $625 a month. Boiler Bay RV Park

Never made it to Dallas, COVID hit and we were stuck in CA. DID not want to move in the mist of a pandemic. So now that things are opening up, we are going to try again. We have checked Boiler Bay RV Park, they have nothing right now, until September.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Never made it to Dallas, COVID hit and we were stuck in CA. DID not want to move in the mist of a pandemic. So now that things are opening up, we are going to try again. We have checked Boiler Bay RV Park, they have nothing right now, until September.
COVID messed up a lot of plans for everyone. Best of luck finding something soon but i you might have to wait till tourist season is over.

We plan on moving to Newport also. The housing market is just way to crazy for us now but we are in no big hurry. Been going there since the mid80s and we really like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon