Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie&kaeli View Post
That bums me out...not quite what I was hoping for...in my research, I look on craigslist, and it seems as though there are SOME jobs in that field, paying relatively close to the same that my husband makes (approx. $1000/week)...an affordable neighbourhood would be one, in terms of rent for example, that I would pay $1000 for a really nice 2 bedroom, maybe a 3 bedroom...
Is there anything positive you can tell me? I'm really hoping....
You could get a nice house rental for $1,000 a month here in the Salem Metro area.

We have a 19 month inventory of new construction homes here in Salem. It will take a while to deplete it. Subprime has caused foreclosures, but it also caused a lack of money available for jumbo loans. So that means that luxury homes aren't selling and people aren't building new custom ones. It's hard to get a loan.

Bend was recently rated the most overvalued market in the nation (overvalued by 59%).

You could live in the valley here we are affordable in terms of housing, but I think your husband would probably be job hopping. You also need to plan for health insurance. I pay $500 a month for me and my two kids. My hubby is covered by his work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I pay $500 a month for me and my two kids. My hubby is covered by his work.
May I ask which insurance company you chose? Because, for a parent and two children that seems pretty inexpensive to me. My plan (BCBS of Oregon)
would charge a husband/wife/w 2 kids, basic no frills plan, around $1200 per month. No dental, no eye care.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie&kaeli View Post
Is there anything positive you can tell me? I'm really hoping....

Are you folks dead-set on moving to Oregon right away?

Would you consider northern Alberta? I just got off of the phone with my friend who lives in that area in a small town of 5,000 people (oil-boom, and military are based there). I asked if the builders were hurting for help, and got an "Oh God, yes." There aren't enough carpenters to keep up with the available work.

Not quite Oregon, but it's a lot closer then Toronto. Maybe worth staying there for a few years. Just a thought.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Are you folks dead-set on moving to Oregon right away?

Would you consider northern Alberta? I just got off of the phone with my friend who lives in that area in a small town of 5,000 people (oil-boom, and military are based there). I asked if the builders were hurting for help, and got an "Oh God, yes." There aren't enough carpenters to keep up with the available work.

Not quite Oregon, but it's a lot closer then Toronto. Maybe worth staying there for a few years. Just a thought.
We have considered Alberta and BC....especially with the Olympics and all....probably more realistic, given the healthcare and all, except that of all the provinces, Alberta has the most privatized health care system, meaning that they have the least amount of provincially sponsored coverage, but still....thanks for the heads up. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE Oregon...I have to be honest: I do love Canada, but there is something about the Pacific Northwest that calls to me...My husband misses California and Wyoming (where he also grew up), but now that he has health coverage here, there would have to be some kinda job market for us to actually leave. I'm going to revisit the Alberta/BC plan...
Thanks for everyone's info, and if things change, I'll be back here...A visit is most definitely in the works though....

Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
May I ask which insurance company you chose? Because, for a parent and two children that seems pretty inexpensive to me. My plan (BCBS of Oregon)
would charge a husband/wife/w 2 kids, basic no frills plan, around $1200 per month. No dental, no eye care.
We have Pacific Source. I might get a lower rate since I used to work for a company that covered me and my kids through Pacific Source and then when I went "private" they just moved me over. Maybe that impacts my rate. I don't know.

$1200 a month is insane. Who can pay for that?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,650 times
Have you tried looking into employment with Jeld-Wen? I know they are pretty big out there in Oregon. See if that gives you any leads.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,468 times
I read somewhere that there were jobs in Wyoming but it was about a year or so ago. I know nothing about that state but if your husband lived there he might be glad to return. Personally, the health insurance thing will be huge. Expect to pay about $1,200 a month, if you can find coverage.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We have Pacific Source. I might get a lower rate since I used to work for a company that covered me and my kids through Pacific Source and then when I went "private" they just moved me over. Maybe that impacts my rate. I don't know.

$1200 a month is insane. Who can pay for that?
Unfortunatey, I think that's the going rate, and I checked many, many companies. The rates go up every year, too, and you'll also be paying close to a $900 deductible. (Mine is $1,500, so I can get the lower premium - to increase next November)

Most of the men I used to work with, either continue working at a part-time job, and/or their wives have pretty decent jobs. And so it continues, if they want their children medically covered if they go to university. And most of these folks have a very good retirement. The families who are truly able to retire, their children are already grown.

I don't know how people who job-hop, as you say, or don't have coverage through work, manage.

My friends who live in AB, would be down in the US in a heartbeat, but they know they would never be able to afford health coverage for their family. So they are waiting until the kids are out of school.

Guess the answer as to who can pay for that, is very few people. Therein lies the OP's main stumbling block, as I view it.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:27 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Since you are a CN I suggest you look at Vancouver or Victoria. The weather is a bit chillier than Portland but you will have no immigration issues AND you have CN health care insurance.

There are many in the US who would move to CN for just that reason.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:02 PM

103 posts, read 783,555 times
I live in the Seattle Wa area where life is still ok,jobs etc.My friend is from southern oregon and we go to visit.
What I've learned is that the housing prices in southern oregon are the same as here where jobs are plenty.People made a lot of money selling their homes in california and moved to southern oregon and paid cash for a house with plenty of money to spare.The housing prices went crazy.
Everybody in my friends area works at the sawmill.That is it.There is Roseburg near by which to me sounds like the perfect place for you guys http://www.EL.com/ if you can find a job.
Here is the local paperhttp://jobs.nrtoday.com/jobs/searchresults.aspx
hope this link
There is the va hospital in roseburg.You never know maybe a woodworking job there?Home - Roseburg VA Medical Center
helps.Employment Department Job Listings
To get healthcare to count on maybe working for Oregon DOT doing Road construction would work.
State of Oregon: Oregon Department of Transportation
Don't give up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon