Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 07:19 PM

270 posts, read 193,512 times

Advertisements

I have recently though about moving out west to Oregon, to a town, not a big city where the winter is not much more cold than northern California, meaning around Chico, to Redding area, and thought about Roseburg.

Anyone living there, or have lived there? I am not looking for housing, rather senior apartments. I have not checked out state taxes yet, but I am retired and only have some investment income subject t taxes. I guess it is not as bad as California?

Roseburg seems to have some medical care a nice hospital and the town seems drivable for an older challenged driver.

What else do I need to consider before considering Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 12:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
I have recently though about moving out west to Oregon, to a town, not a big city where the winter is not much more cold than northern California, meaning around Chico, to Redding area, and thought about Roseburg.

Anyone living there, or have lived there? I am not looking for housing, rather senior apartments. I have not checked out state taxes yet, but I am retired and only have some investment income subject t taxes. I guess it is not as bad as California?

Roseburg seems to have some medical care a nice hospital and the town seems drivable for an older challenged driver.

What else do I need to consider before considering Oregon?
Rosburg has a high crime rate. Check for information on the City here.

//www.city-data.com/city/Roseburg-Oregon.html

There of course are both good and bad areas like in any city, so check for information by visiting and talking with locals and the police.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:23 PM

85 posts, read 115,238 times
It's a small podunk town with not much to do and not near anything else. I wouldn't live there.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
For a retiree who likes small-town life, it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:19 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
I don't live there. I live south of RB, but i've had my doctor there at the Veterans Hospital for the last 27 years. I haven't had any problem with the local folks. Folks have been friendly at Fred Meyer/ Walmart/ other stores in the main part of town/ the restaurants i've been in have been friendly.

Nowadays, i think there is some crime & thieves everywhere you go. It's unfortunate.

Best of Luck to you.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:46 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I've only been there to the fairgrounds and passing through on the freeway, but it is a large enough town to have everything you need for day to day and if you want the symphony orchestra or extra special shopping, Eugene is close. Plus online shopping should get you anything you need.

Oops. Roseburg has its own symphony orchestra, but Eugene is close for things like traveling Broadway shows and college type lectures. Roseburg has a college, but a smaller one.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:04 PM

270 posts, read 193,512 times
Thanks for the responses. At my age a podunk town is what I'm looking for. I have trouble driving in traffic and very light traffic at off hours helps.

The state has a reputation for being liberal, which is good for me. I have relatives in Texas, but I really do not want to live there. I like the warm weather, but Texas seems too redneck for my taste.

I know Roseburg may not have much activity, but I seldom get out at night. I like that they decriminalized marijuana and allow older very sick adults rights to die with dignity, rather than suffering death cancer. I know this sounds rather grim, but when you are up around eighty years old you have to think about the inevitable.

I noticed Seniorly website has independent living resources for about the same monthly costs as Texas and while I have some family there, it is friend your own age which means most for daily company.

My main concern is the winter weather, I assume it is warmer than Portland in winter months. I need to check on laws for taxable income and state tax structure. I'm sure it is not as oppressive as California , which taxes at 10% income. I assume social security is not taxed?

Old 10-24-2021, 02:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. At my age a podunk town is what I'm looking for. I have trouble driving in traffic and very light traffic at off hours helps.

The state has a reputation for being liberal, which is good for me. I have relatives in Texas, but I really do not want to live there. I like the warm weather, but Texas seems too redneck for my taste.
Uh oh.

Roseburg wouldn't be a good fit for someone of the liberal persuasion.

Talent? Jacksonville?

Ashland is all right as well, but traffic gets snarly during Shakespeare season.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:10 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
My relatives who lived in Roseburg have passed but it is my opinion that it is a nice town with the services and community activities you will want. Less 'liberal' than most towns west of the Cascade range but not assertively conservative or liberal.

The only town closer to Eugene that you could consider is Cottage Grove where you would be completely dependent on Eugene/Springfield health care services.

Do you have tax software? Download the Oregon tax return and do a tax mock-up to see its impact on your specific situation.

If income taxes are too high for you towns worth consideration would be Vancouver, Longview, Ridgefield, or Camas Washington. The weather is moderate. Vancouver has a Veteran's domiciliary as well as several continuing care communities. The VA has transportation services to its clinics and hospital.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-24-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 02:15 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Quote:

I know Roseburg may not have much activity, but I seldom get out at night. I like that they decriminalized marijuana and allow older very sick adults rights to die with dignity, rather than suffering death cancer. I know this sounds rather grim, but when you are up around eighty years old you have to think about the inevitable.

I noticed Seniorly website has independent living resources for about the same monthly costs as Texas and while I have some family there, it is friend your own age which means most for daily company.

My main concern is the winter weather, I assume it is warmer than Portland in winter months. I need to check on laws for taxable income and state tax structure. I'm sure it is not as oppressive as California , which taxes at 10% income. I assume social security is not taxed?
California's tax rate depends on your income:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...rnia-state-tax

It does not tax social security:

https://smartasset.com/retirement/ca...tirement-taxes

California is very high cost of living, though. Maybe Eureka, in far north California, would work. Several hours from anything, so cost of living is more reasonable, but it is several hours from anything.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by jdhpa; 10-24-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon