Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 04:08 PM

388 posts, read 320,725 times

Advertisements

What are the caveats especially for outdoors buffs for living in Oregon?

How is:

-deer hunting with rifles? are rifles allowed on BLM lands during deer gun seasons? are there any flat fields or flat forests for deer hunting for those too old or not fit enough for hill climbing and mountain climbing?
-dove hunting? are there enough doves on public lands to make it worthwhile to hunt for them?
-the motorboating on inland lakes, reservoirs and rivers?
-the tent camping?
-the salmon fishing on rivers? river fly-fishing?
-how does new home prices in OR compare with those of Idaho?
-state income/property/sales taxes vs Idaho?

One thing that I like Idaho better for is the fact that it is a permit-less state for concealed handgun carry and new home prices around eastern ID/Pocatello are not too bad. Boise/West Idaho is bad now for new house prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 04:32 PM

26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
High Cascades are great for taking a boat out on. Lots of kokanee (freshwater in salmon) and lake trout. There's an Oregon Fishing Forum where you can get in-depth information about all types of fishing in Oregon. Oregon and Idaho real estate prices are all over the place. You might want to take a look out in Eastern Oregon.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:33 PM

Forgot to ask:

Is Oregon ATV/off-road-vehicle-friendly for hunting or other outdoor pursuits?

Old 12-18-2021, 06:41 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
BLM hunting & fishing info link: https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...gon-washington

There are lots of small and large prairies in central and eastern Oregon that may offer less rugged hunting ground.

Dove hunting links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=oreg...e-gws-wiz-serp

Lake & river info should be easy to get. Searching threads here, Google, local newspapers, guidebooks, etc. And there are lots of options.

Degree of ATV access may vary by region. Probably less restricted in central and eastern Oregon. Restrictions often arise after abuse. Links: https://www.google.com/search?q=oreg...AIgBAJIBAJgBAA

Plenty of developed and dispersed tent camping opportunities in diverse environments. Some developed tent sites will get reserved way in advance. Either get on that early or go elsewhere.

Home prices will vary in both states based on community size, quality of job base and natural and social amenities. Both states have pricey areas and out of the way places that are cheaper.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-18-2021 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-18-2021, 06:47 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,581,577 times
I grew up hunting in Western Oregon. It is a lot of traversing rough steep wooded brushy ridgelines in rugged terrain. Often in the cold and rain. Nearly all the flat land in Western Oregon was converted to farms and suburbs in the past 150 years. But this isn't the east coast where some public lands limit hunting to shotguns with slugs. As far as I know there are no rifle restrictions on public lands in OR.

If you want open range hunting like you are probably used to in OK you need to go to Eastern Oregon.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:51 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,925,713 times
Both Idaho and Oregon are very high tax states.

Oregon is in a "special" category ALL BY ITSELF.

Idaho is very expensive state for taxes.

Downside Idaho is a very crowded state and expensive. Eastern Oregon is very expensive, but much less crowded than Idaho.

I think your better off staying in Oklahoma for low taxes and uncrowded hunting and fishing opportunities.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Both Idaho and Oregon are very high tax states.

Oregon is in a "special" category ALL BY ITSELF.

Idaho is very expensive state for taxes.

Downside Idaho is a very crowded state and expensive. Eastern Oregon is very expensive, but much less crowded than Idaho.

I think your better off staying in Oklahoma for low taxes and uncrowded hunting and fishing opportunities.
Oklahoma, Flyover Country, has pure dust and tornadoes and all that damn summer humidity. The scenery is not pretty like the PNW and the roads are Pothole City. I've lived in Boise, ID when it was reasonable in costs from 2000-2006. $92K for a brand-new Nampa/Canyon County, ID subdivision single-family unit as late as the year 1999. OK has a 9% grocery tax, worse than even Idaho. Idaho was once an "outdoors wonderland" for working stiffs. I think Montana and Wyoming was like that too.

There doesn't seem to be any American dreamscapes that are both pretty and cheap anymore. Idaho was the last bastion of that 15+ years ago.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 12-18-2021 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-19-2021, 11:17 AM

5,288 posts, read 7,581,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
Oklahoma, Flyover Country, has pure dust and tornadoes and all that damn summer humidity. The scenery is not pretty like the PNW and the roads are Pothole City. I've lived in Boise, ID when it was reasonable in costs from 2000-2006. $92K for a brand-new Nampa/Canyon County, ID subdivision single-family unit as late as the year 1999. OK has a 9% grocery tax, worse than even Idaho. Idaho was once an "outdoors wonderland" for working stiffs. I think Montana and Wyoming was like that too.

There doesn't seem to be any American dreamscapes that are both pretty and cheap anymore. Idaho was the last bastion of that 15+ years ago.
That's true. You pay a premium for beautiful scenery. In this country and everywhere else in the world.

You might find more of what you are looking for by looking east to Northwest Arkansas which does have some very pretty areas in the Ozarks and isn't going to be so expensive as the scenic spots of the Pacific Northwest. Plus land is going to be more available. In the Pacific Northwest so much of the rural lands are public lands which is a good thing for recreation, but makes it more difficult to find rural land to settle on.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:22 PM

No, I would rather freeze in South Dakota winters than head to the Confederacy.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:23 PM

327 posts, read 422,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
No, I would rather freeze in South Dakota winters than head to the Confederacy.
there was a time - before 2016, I guess - where it would never have occured to me to worry about the politics of any particular place before relocating there. I cared about the climate, COL, and a lot of other things, but not the politics. I always assumed it was "live and let live" no matter where you are.

now, we are so divided as a country I can't imagine not caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: