Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 AM

56 posts, read 147,307 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Corvallis sometime in the next year or two. We are hoping the climate will be a little bit drier there, but Corvallis sounds similar to RI. We like the idea of a university town, but do people need to drive far for cultural offerings? Also, one of my children is into acting (theatre, films), would she be able to pursue this there?? Another child has autism, does anyone know about services in the area? What sports teams do people root for and how far do they have to travel to take in sports events? (We love baseball). I know that nowhere is perfect, but after reading through this forum, Corvallis sounds like a pretty good match for us. Looking forward to hearing peoples' input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 AM

148 posts, read 239,311 times
Drier in Corvallis? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Before moving there, go there!!!!! Corvallis is kinda of small and somewhat isolated (it is off of I-5). You might want to check out Eugene or Ashland (drier, Shakespeare festival, college), or Portland also. All I have to say is.... come visit between October and June. It is only "dry" from mid-July to September. We like to say, Oregonians don't tan, we rust!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,473,258 times
Now that I live on the Oregon coast, I do think of the Willamette Valley as a comparatively dry part of the state. As PDX suggests, there is a definite seasonal quotient to atmospheric humidity there. There comes a day in the fall -- as early as late September or as late as early November -- when the "changeover" occurs. The ground is wet from a significant rain, and it will be cloudy, cool, humid and muddy for the next half-year even when it isn't raining. In most years, Nov. to Apr. is wet. July to Oct. is dry to downright arid (vegetable gardens require almost daily irrigation). Spring is transitional with a very languid drying trend during which evaporation s-l-o-w-l-y exceeds precipitation despite the occasional rains. The upside is that wet days are cool, and warm days are dry. Mugginess is extremely rare. Full disclosure: I spent some time teaching in the 509j district so the following views may be subject to partiality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbound View Post
We are considering a move to Corvallis sometime in the next year or two. We are hoping the climate will be a little bit drier there, but Corvallis sounds similar to RI. Not really; the precipitation peak here is in the winter; summers are arid. It's very different from the East Coast. It's also a precipitation cycle that doesn't work well for mosquitoes as most of their breeding pools dry up before the larvae mature. We like the idea of a university town, but do people need to drive far for cultural offerings? No. Being a university town, there are quite a few good offerings a LaSells Center. The Hult Center for the performing arts is about a 45-minute drive to the south in Eugene and usually gets major Broadway touring shows and concert headliners. Also, one of my children is into acting (theatre, films), would she be able to pursue this there?? Yes; children's theatre is quite active in Corvallis. In fact, the opposite issue might be a problem -- she'll have to compete with lots of other young thespians, and will have to be good to earn significant roles. Another child has autism, does anyone know about services in the area? Corvallis is the most child-friendly city in the state, and many people move there expressly for the 509j school system. Children with PDDs are covered either under IDEA or Section 504, and I think you'll find the school system well-versed in IEP implementation. You can certainly call the 509j District Office, find out whom to talk to, and see what your comfort level is with what you hear. What sports teams do people root for and how far do they have to travel to take in sports events? (We love baseball). College sports largely satisfy the appetite filled by professional sports elsewhere. The OSU Beavers are the local heros and Reser Stadium is right in the middle of town (on campus). A few UO Ducks fans are in the area, but tend to keep a low profile other than at civil war games. There seems to be a weak link to professional sports in Seattle, but I'm not the one who would know, really. I once showed up at an Albany vs. Corvallis HS football game in Corvallis (I was then teaching at Albany but lived in Corvallis). The Albany stand was full of parents, but few showed up to cheer on the hometown Corvallis High team. It turned out their was a school science fair that night and most parents were attending that instead. That's Corvallis for you...more likely to encourage their kids' solar house model than their pigskin ambitions. I know that nowhere is perfect, but after reading through this forum, Corvallis sounds like a pretty good match for us. Looking forward to hearing peoples' input.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,803 times
I would probably look toward Eugene more than Corvallis for what you're looking for. Corvallis seems more agricultural whereas the arts are strong and booming in Eugene and it too is also a University town. When I was in Eugene for the week it didn't rain at all but when I went to Corvallis it was foggy and icy which was a pretty stark change from the sunny Eugene. That was the middle of winter though and I hear it's rained non-stop in Eugene since I've left. Corvallis definitely isn't dry though... it's a very very small town.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM

66 posts, read 254,796 times
Ha ha. It's all a matter of perspective. Corvallis is not a "very very small town". For Oregon it is fairly large. Scio, however, is a very very small town.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 PM

540 posts, read 2,175,389 times
westcoastbound,

As someone who lived in RI over a couple of years (I was in the Navy and stationed there on 3 occasions for schools)...you won't find many similarities between Corvallis and there. No Dunkin Donuts to begin with!

I live in Albany and worked in Corvallis for 4 years (at OSU). While it can get pretty wet here, it doesn't snow. I was in Newport RI in the winter of 95/96 when there was 106 inches of snow. I've been in Albany since 2001 and we've had maybe 9 total inches in that entire time!

As far as the arts go here, Albany has a community theater and there are also opportunities in Corvallis. Most of the high schools in this area have fairly good theater programs as well, in addition to good music programs. If you are interested in more about services for children with autism, e-mail me and I will put you in touch with a friend of mine who has an autistic child. She can give you much more hands on information about the resources here.

I am actually thinking you might want to investigate in the more NW part of Oregon (Astoria). Similar (geographically) in many ways to Newport I think, not too far from Portland/Vancouver, and there has been more activity in that area with regard to film (Kindergarten Cop was filmed there, as were some others that I can't call to mind at the moment).

Good luck.

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 AM

56 posts, read 147,307 times
Yeah, we saw Kindergarten Cop and I thought Astoria looked beautiful. I looked it up on a map right away after the film. Thank you all for your advice.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 AM

66 posts, read 254,796 times
The Goonies was also filmed in Astoria.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,053,788 times
so was part of the teenage mutent ninja turtles.-
one of my ex's was a stuntman and had a small part in it.
Tiff

Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,803 times
No wonder Goonies and Kindergarten Cop and TMNT were my favorite childhood movies... I guess I've always loved Oregon hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon