Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 AM

29 posts, read 140,002 times

Advertisements

A question for folks in the Grants Pass area.

What is the bug situation like? Mostly in the summer? Mosquitos, flies, no-see-ums, etc. etc...?

Any info would be really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 PM

62 posts, read 281,987 times
I would be curious too. We are planning a move from Maui to S. Oregon. Here we have centipedes, scorpians, giant roaches....but no snakes.
What kind of bugs and critters do you have in/around your houses?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:16 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
"The vermin only tease and pinch
Their foes superior by an inch.
So naturalists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas that on him pray,
And these have smaller yet to bite 'em
And so proceed ad infinitum:
Thus every poet in his kind
Is bit by him that comes behind."
(Jonathan Swift)

Oregon has an assortment of bugs and other critters but it's not as if we are overwhelmed by them (if we were, then no one would live here). There are certainly mosquitoes and they are probably the most plentiful of all pests. You can expect, depending on what part of Oregon you are in, yellow jackets, ticks, cockroaches, and carpenter ants. We have some cool snakes, toads, tree frogs, turtles and lizards, but I think the only poisonous of those is the western rattlesnake. We do have 4 kinds of scorpions, but their venom is supposed to be relatively mild. And of course we have spiders - garden spiders, jumping spiders and barn spiders (like Charlotte). The poisonous ones are black widows and hobo spiders (brown recluse spiders are not native to Oregon even though a lot of people think they are - if you find one, you brought it with you).

Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Oregon has an assortment of bugs and other critters but it's not as if we are overwhelmed by them (if we were, then no one would live here). There are certainly mosquitoes and they are probably the most plentiful of all pests. You can expect, depending on what part of Oregon you are in, yellow jackets, ticks, cockroaches, and carpenter ants. We have some cool snakes, toads, tree frogs, turtles and lizards, but I think the only poisonous of those is the western rattlesnake. We do have 4 kinds of scorpions, but their venom is supposed to be relatively mild. And of course we have spiders - garden spiders, jumping spiders and barn spiders (like Charlotte). The poisonous ones are black widows and hobo spiders (brown recluse spiders are not native to Oregon even though a lot of people think they are - if you find one, you brought it with you).
Can you tell me where one would find a prevalence (or any amount) of ticks and cockroaches in Oregon? I know they exist here, but have yet to find ticks...we've been hiking in the woods, in the sand dunes (are there such things are sand ticks?), and up to Mt. Hood, Bend, Sisters, etc. in the wilderness. I live in Portland, and may be lucky, but have never seen a cockroach.

Could be, though, that I'm blocking it all out and have been lucky, since nothings can compare with Missouri ticks, chiggers, bugs and critters! Thanks~

Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
I'm not in the Grants Pass area either, but I thought I'd add that Oregon is not as "buggy" as California or Texas! Like another poster - in the four years we've been in Oregon we've not seen a single roach! In California and Texas, they were everywhere!

We have lots of spiders and mosquito's, but other than that bugs don't seem to be much of an issue.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM

[quote=SeeBee;3859740]Can you tell me where one would find a prevalence (or any amount) of ticks and cockroaches in Oregon? I know they exist here, but have yet to find ticks...we've been hiking in the woods, in the sand dunes (are there such things are sand ticks?), and up to Mt. Hood, Bend, Sisters, etc. in the wilderness. I live in Portland, and may be lucky, but have never seen a cockroach.

I haven't seen a cockroach in Bend either, but I've heard about them being found in restaurants here and I know they are all over Oregon - this from OSU:

Five species are fairly common in Oregon around homes. These are the American roach, the oriental roach, the German roach, the brown-banded roach, and one that normally does not invade homes, the native wood roach

I have found ticks in the early spring while hiking in the Cascades - from another OSU report:
There are approximately 20 species of hard ticks in Oregon. Of these, only four species are commonly found on humans:
  • Western Black-Legged Tick
  • Rocky Mountain Wood Tick
  • American Dog Tick
  • Pacific Coast Tick

Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
[quote=Bendite;3861583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Can you tell me where one would find a prevalence (or any amount) of ticks and cockroaches in Oregon? I know they exist here, but have yet to find ticks...we've been hiking in the woods, in the sand dunes (are there such things are sand ticks?), and up to Mt. Hood, Bend, Sisters, etc. in the wilderness. I live in Portland, and may be lucky, but have never seen a cockroach.

I haven't seen a cockroach in Bend either, but I've heard about them being found in restaurants here and I know they are all over Oregon - this from OSU:

Five species are fairly common in Oregon around homes. These are the American roach, the oriental roach, the German roach, the brown-banded roach, and one that normally does not invade homes, the native wood roach

I have found ticks in the early spring while hiking in the Cascades - from another OSU report:
There are approximately 20 species of hard ticks in Oregon. Of these, only four species are commonly found on humans:
  • Western Black-Legged Tick
  • Rocky Mountain Wood Tick
  • American Dog Tick
  • Pacific Coast Tick
Thanks for that posting. I'm certainly not denying that they are here, all round us (), but it's not been my experience to see them (maybe I'm conditioned to ignore them!).

I was wondering what your experience with those critters was , like you said with hiking and such. And only because I want to avoid those places!

I have it in my mind that the word "ticks" means a huge, relentless army of them like the ones I've seen (and, I confess, ruthlessly murdered!!!) in Missouri, as well as the huge roaches I've seen in eastern cities.

It's akin to what my veterinary told me when I went to Missouri. He started my dog on heartworm meds three months before we left, and kept it up after we got back. The doc said that canine heartworm certainly exists in Oregon, and in every state, but it is endemic in Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.

Ah well, I'll be blissfully ignorant about ticks and roaches, at least until I move! I think we might be spoiled here in Oregon!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM

[quote=SeeBee;3862281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post

Thanks for that posting. I'm certainly not denying that they are here, all round us (), but it's not been my experience to see them (maybe I'm conditioned to ignore them!).

I was wondering what your experience with those critters was , like you said with hiking and such. And only because I want to avoid those places!

I have it in my mind that the word "ticks" means a huge, relentless army of them like the ones I've seen (and, I confess, ruthlessly murdered!!!) in Missouri, as well as the huge roaches I've seen in eastern cities.

It's akin to what my veterinary told me when I went to Missouri. He started my dog on heartworm meds three months before we left, and kept it up after we got back. The doc said that canine heartworm certainly exists in Oregon, and in every state, but it is endemic in Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.

Ah well, I'll be blissfully ignorant about ticks and roaches, at least until I move! I think we might be spoiled here in Oregon!
Oh, I agree - we are spoiled! No huge roaches or armies of ticks -- I'll stay away from Missouri,thanks

Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,624 times
I just pulled four ticks off my dog after hiking through the Mt hood area. I am from Portland and the ticks are not bad in the city but the further east you go the worse it gets. Also not to be rude but people please QUIT MOVING HERE, we don't want you any more people. I have lived here my whole life(born and raised) and I can say Oregon, especially Portland, has gone downhill and all this keep Portland weird mumbo jumbo is not a true Oregonian thing, some Californian probably came up with that.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 PM

15 posts, read 31,268 times
So you can decide to move from Oregon to another state, but nobody can decide to move TO Oregon swtonic?

I've lived in California for most of my life (56 of my 61 years
). Many people have moved here from other states (I'll bet even Oregon!), we are overrun with people, and that is why some of us are choosing to leave. But I sure don't feel free to tell other people they can't live here or aren't welcome

I'm more "Oregonian" by nature than Californian, I wear jeans and like to live a quiet life near nature, I'm a kind and decent person, I like to drive slow. Guess it is a good thing I'm not interested in Portland.... I hope I'm "allowed" in Corvallis if I choose to make that my home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon