Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2022, 01:06 PM

199 posts, read 217,238 times

Advertisements

Last year a lot of trees got damaged in the first week of July when temperatures rose to as high as 120 at one point and now it looks like a lot of fruit trees are sustaining damage from the frost events we've had last month and earlier this month. I am seeing a lot of damage in fruit trees lately so am I right to blame it on the frost we just "enjoyed" that is typically unusual for this time of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 02:39 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,500,158 times
probably.
Up in Eastside Seattle (bellevue) a lot of damage to Oregon Grape (mahonia), blueberry, and everygreen huckleberry. What didn't get frost damage, didn't get pollinated by the bees.
Don't know about eastern Washington in the tree fruit growing areas, but I guess the bees were too scared to venture out into the cool weather. My guess is that there will be a very low harvest of Cherries and apples. Apricots will be nonexistant.
I grew peaches in midValley. They are early bloomers, typically before cherries and this year's frost would be bad. Add the additional wet weather, I would have put a lot of effort into fungicide sprays.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
I am seeing a lot of damage in fruit trees lately so am I right to blame it on the frost we just "enjoyed" that is typically unusual for this time of the year?
What specific damage? (Bark? leaves? Blooms?)

what area / elevation?
I saw some Cherry trees with 30% of tips frozen / fallen, was very strange, as usually it is 100% or none / few.

The unseasonably cold temps are curtailing bee / pollination activity. Early bloomers may not bear.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:42 PM

4,172 posts, read 2,567,985 times
I fear for our crops anyway, but then we out east got a freeze warning for tonight. As follows:

"...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures in the upper 20s to lower 30s.

* WHERE...In Washington, Simcoe Highlands. In Oregon, Grande
Ronde Valley, John Day Basin, North Central Oregon and Central
Oregon.

* WHEN...From 1 AM to 9 AM PDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions will kill crops, other
sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
plumbing.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold. To prevent
freezing and possible bursting of outdoor water pipes they should
be wrapped, drained, or allowed to drip slowly. Those that have
in-ground sprinkler systems should drain them and cover above-
ground pipes to protect them from freezing."

Old 05-20-2022, 09:21 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
This is not a good year for the fruit trees. I predict that there will be a shortage of fresh locally grown fruit. Maybe not a shortage of fruit over-all since the USA imports a lot of fruit, having paved over the best fruit growing regions with tract houses and taken water away from many of the areas that aren't covered in houses.

One thing that Oregon did that was right was to protect agricultural land while there was still agricultural land. But the incomers and the city dwellers complain about that quite often and I suppose that eventually, there will be enough of them to vote the protection away.

Incidentally, this has been a bad spring for fruit all over the USA. Lots of weather problems and more than usual disease trouble.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 05-20-2022 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-26-2022, 12:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is not a good year for the fruit trees. I predict that there will be a shortage of fresh locally grown fruit. Maybe not a shortage of fruit over-all since the USA imports a lot of fruit,...
Incidentally, this has been a bad spring for fruit all over the USA. Lots of weather problems and more than usual disease trouble.
Probably a very good plan to 'practice' WTSHTF survival food management during 2022.

While most of us are used to dropping into a grocery store 24x7 and fetching from a broad (abundant) selection. This is likely to end for many regions.

An interview with a truck driver yesterday showed him pumping over $1000 of fuel into his rig, which he does everyday.

As farmers we often use 300g / day of diesel fuel during harvest. That's got to be covered by selling crops, which we can't afford to fertilize this yr. Much of the USA is in a drought that has not allowed many crops to be even be planted.

Fill your freezer, and I hope you can make your own electricity rather than depend on a Public Utility who has built hundreds of fossil fueled generation plants in the last few decades, but Trojan has been silenced since 1993.

Fortunately, Idaho is nearby! https://inl.gov/

Their Economic Development center applauds WA and Oregon as "Their Best Friends, providing Idaho with millions of dollars and tens of thousands of jobs each yr" (Companies and farms forced to leave WA and OR)

Old 07-20-2022, 11:18 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
EU here plum harvest 1, birds ate 4 and 2 are hidden between leaves half ripe smaller sized than plum in picture. Coin next to it for size is a USA 1 cent. Spring was late frost, only see 2 bees.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/645243...posted-public/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon