Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 10:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Please tip if you want. But why overpay for gas due to an archaic law? Seriously, Oregon, change the law to match 48 other States. (New Jersey).
I have no intention of tipping at gas stations. There isn't even the option of doing so on the CC slip they give you like there is at restaurants. I'm just wondering where the other poster got the idea we're supposed to. Maybe if the windshield was covered with insects and they washed it really well or something, idk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 09:24 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Please tip if you want. But why overpay for gas due to an archaic law? Seriously, Oregon change the law to match 48 other States. (New Jersey is the other).
Great point - We do PAY for these non value add attendants. Be aware though that Econ 101 is not a strong forte on CD. You will get folks comparing gas prices of CA or WA or wherever to OR as proof the attendant is "free."

I firmly believe economic ignorance of the populace is one of the reasons Oregon is so backward in many respects - including how gas is dispensed.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:03 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I've been considering Grants Pass/Medford area as an option to move to in the not so distant future. The main thing thats deterring me is the gas pump thing. I've been through Oregon and had it pumped for me twice. How long did it take you to get use to the idea? I get it if you're older and dont' want to get out of your car anyways. It's a trust thing I think mostly for me as I hand the attendant my card to swipe.
While it is a deterrent for you, I consider NOT having to pump one's own gas a huge benefit.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:23 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I've been considering Grants Pass/Medford area as an option to move to in the not so distant future. The main thing thats deterring me is the gas pump thing. I've been through Oregon and had it pumped for me twice. How long did it take you to get use to the idea? I get it if you're older and dont' want to get out of your car anyways. It's a trust thing I think mostly for me as I hand the attendant my card to swipe.
That seems like a minor matter.

You could have one credit card exclusively for gasoline... check it online as often as you want, watching for any suspicious charge.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:00 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
That seems like a minor matter.

You could have one credit card exclusively for gasoline... check it online as often as you want, watching for any suspicious charge.
Or you can get out of your car and swipe it yourself if it bothers you so much. The law in Oregon restricts you from pumping your own gas, but it doesn't restrict you from swiping your card yourself.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:36 AM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Bring an evil diesel, you can pump your own fuel, when you seldom need it.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:49 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I have no intention of tipping at gas stations. There isn't even the option of doing so on the CC slip they give you like there is at restaurants. I'm just wondering where the other poster got the idea we're supposed to. Maybe if the windshield was covered with insects and they washed it really well or something, idk.
Pumping gas was my high school and first two summers of college job. This was back in the day of full service at a couple of different Chevron stations. We always washed windows, checked oil, and sometimes tire pressure with a fill up. Windows washed for everyone. I got tipped twice by the same guy. I was dumbfounded and kind of stared at him with a dollar in his hand. After that second tip he stopped tipping. I assumed he moved from some other state and thought tipping was nice. His new friends probably laughed at him, so the tips stopped. He still got full service though.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Pumping gas was my high school and first two summers of college job. This was back in the day of full service at a couple of different Chevron stations. We always washed windows, checked oil, and sometimes tire pressure with a fill up. Windows washed for everyone. I got tipped twice by the same guy. I was dumbfounded and kind of stared at him with a dollar in his hand. After that second tip he stopped tipping. I assumed he moved from some other state and thought tipping was nice. His new friends probably laughed at him, so the tips stopped. He still got full service though.
This reminds me, back in the Stone Age, my sister and her friends used to get a gallon of gas at a time so they could keep going back to the station when the cute guy in his late teens/early twenties was working.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
I lived in Oregon for 2 years and liked not having to pump gas. I almost always tipped a bit as well if I had cash on me.

Did not take me long at all to get used to that. Ha!

Old 07-12-2022, 05:48 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Moved to WA. After 3 years here, I still have to look at the pictorial instructions.
Oregon resident for 65 years.
Old habits die hard.
YGMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: