U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 04:18 PM

64 posts, read 173,034 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain to me the flavor of Beaverton, OR. Is it simply the suburbs of Portland? or does it have its own unique culture and infrastructure. I currently live near Phoenix and pretty much all outlining areas for 1 hour in every direction are just glorified suburbs of Phoenix.. none with anything interesting or fun to do.

Also, is Beaverton "More, Less or About the Same" as Portland regarding the liberal mind set and environment?

My husband and I are doing research on different areas of the country to which to move and Portland is on the list... I'm just wondering what Beaverton is like b/c it seems to be more affordable.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:42 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,198,338 times
It's pretty much the suburbs of Portland. What draws people to the area is its proximity to Intel and Nike, and it has superior schools to what you'll find in Portland. The mindset of the residents is pretty much the same as Portland; that's what I found when I lived there. And, I lived there, because I had children and wanted more square footage in my house. If you're looking for a nightlife or "things to do," you won't find it there. But, Portland isn't far away.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM

22 posts, read 67,314 times
I live in Cedar Mill, basically an unincorporated area in Beaverton with a Portland address...go figure. I find this area(Beaverton) to be much more run of the mill Suburbs with SUV's, box stores, etc.(still no Wal-mart on the westside though) More generic than anything "Portland". Liberal, but not as liberal as Portland. The city is clean, safe, and seems like it would be ideal to raise a family. Washington county is one of the fastest growing in the state. As for a single 20 something like myself, I want to leave. But for a suburb this is one of the nicest I've seen. And, as fjtee stated, Portland is only a drive down Highway 26...

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM

10,924 posts, read 18,936,235 times
Just what Not PC said.

My advise, rent first then find a neighborhood that suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon