Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 130,865 times

Advertisements

Those pictures were indeed wonderful, which brings back memories of our honeymoon in March. I married a Lincoln City gal, we honeymooned in Seaside and then drove the entire Oregon coast, WA to CA, and back to southern Oregon! My favorite portion (thus far) is that between Reedsport and Lincoln City, with Florence being the capstone. I've driven the route more times than I can count. The dunes that loom behind Fred Meyer are awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:52 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow Ajpacino,

Brookings was actually our favorite place along the entire coast in terms of raw beauty. So if you are moving there you are going to love it. At least I know I would.

Actually all of my pictures which say Samuel Boardman SP are from Brookings. Samuel Boardman SP is on the northern side of town. We actually stayed at the Whaleshead Resort which is within SBSP and drove to Brookings for meals, shopping, etc...

Here is a link to this gorgeous park - Samuel Boardman State Park
And here is the park map: SBSP Map

Here is a picture from our deck at the Whaleshead Beach Resort:

And another from the beach below:

We also liked the town itself a lot as far as the layout, amenities and overall vibe which seems to vary a lot from one coastal town to the next.

- Derek

Wow. That is a beautiful area. Any jobs there? LOL

Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
From what I have read, talked with locals about and seen these are the three main areas of work (also discussed in another post here from a local):

1. Forestry - either working at the mill or working for the National Forest Service
2. Fishing - this is actually a pretty big industry along the Oregon coast
3. Services such as retail, restaurants and medical

There are a lot of retirees in Brookings. So any services one could provide for them would be in demand. If I was younger and just starting out in my career I would definately consider it. As a senior software engineer I need to be closer to a larger city for work like Portland, Salem or Corvallis. I would love to retire there though or even have a vacation there.

Also to really enjoy living there you need to love the outdoors and I do. Mtns, rivers, streams, wildflowers, big green trees and an amazing coastline could keep one busy for a lifetime. So I think this would be awesome for young families. We have young kids who loved it there.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Gorgeous!! Thanks for posting these...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Thanks everyone. I am glad you enjoyed the photos.

The whole experience was pretty surreal for me since I have never visited this beautiful part of our country before. I am glad I was able to capture 'some' of that beauty so that I can convey it to others and remind myself what I look forward to seeing again sometime.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Great images.

Be sure to back those files up.

I keep my images on 3 hard drives, online in an image host, and on Disc in a Firesafe.

You can access my favorite spot's images via my profile sometime.

I suppose you got your fill of food along the way. Any particular eating spots that helped make your trip special?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM

378 posts, read 1,569,917 times
Breathtaking pictures!! Thanks for sharing your photographic talents too. Again, they prove my point that (at least to me) the Oregon coast is the most beautiful place on earth!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
Default Beautiful Pictures

My family is visiting Oregon this August. Your pictures and descriptions are forcing me to re-think our Mt. Hood part of the trip and replace it with Oregon Coast. Can you give me some ideas for lodging (I have 2 kids 10-12).? Mostly for the northern coast portion of your trip. We want to be in Seattle for a day or two at the end. Landing in Portland, make our way to the OR coast and go north.

thanks
Chris

Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 PM

97 posts, read 383,133 times
Wow, I have no words. I have never been to Oregon I am just kind of browsing for a place to make my next move and this is the first thread I opened on the Oregon forum. Those pictures were breathtaking. To think that places like that actually exist in our Country and EVERYONE does not live there is mind-boggling. Those were amazing, thanks.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
beautiful doesn't even began to describe the scenery along the coastlines, does it? I tell ya, I LIVE here along the coast, and still cant get enough, nor can I ever get over how incredible it is. I keep coming back and looking at these pictures too, they make me "feel!" each time i view em. I still spend hours staring out over the ocean and cliffs here. And when Im driving up/down our coastline, I always plan for extra time because I cant resist the draw of it all...I have to stop, get out, and re-fresh my soul. I tell ya, we have those days, both sunny and stormy, where the sheer sight of it still chokes me up.
just wait til you add sound and smells....you may very well be hooked too!
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon