U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,841 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job there and am seriously thinking about putting in for it. I've heard Lakeview is at a high elevation - is this true? Is it a problem in any way?

Also, how far from lakeview is a good hospital? Thanks in advance for any info...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 AM

295 posts, read 615,089 times
Lakeview elevation 4798' (4731' at the airport/weather station)
//www.city-data.com/city/Lakeview-Oregon.html

That's not a problem! It's lower than Denver. So it does get some snow (57" per year on average). The climate is cool, dry and relatively sunny overall. It is a small, friendly ranching town in a really beautiful setting. If you like skiing and the outdoors, this would be wonderful spot.

It has it's own hospital. http://www.lake-health.com/

I hope you get replies from residents, but as a visitor, I think of it as one of the true undiscovered gems of Oregon.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,126,487 times
Relatively few Oregonians have much experience with Lakeview, it's somewhat isolated from the major population centers in Oregon. It's not a place that you would likely pass through on your way to somewhere else. I've lived here since 1989 and have never been there. You might cross-post on the Nevada forum and see what people there know about the area.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 8,602,353 times
Ive lived here all my life and Ive never been there!! lol jeez, thats kinda sad. BUT I do know someone that moved there, and they just raved about it. Saw them about a year or so back for a visit and asked how they liked it and they couldnt say enough good about it. BTW, they had 2kids and both the kids were quite happy there as well. Very outdoorsy people w/horses if that makes anything.....
Tiffany

Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM

7 posts, read 37,324 times
Default Lakeview, Oregon?

Another Californian! I would think you would be interested in Portland, Eugene, Corvallis, Bend-over-again ( Bend,Oregon ) or one of our other liberal cities!
Just kidding. If you are looking for a small town, slow pace, back-to-nature, friendly place to raise your children... this is the place.
Sure, it's cold in winter, hot in summer, no Wal-Mart, botique shops, expensive restaurants, but if you are seeking honest people who will help anyone, traditional values, and fantastic natural beauty and resorces, recreation, and affordable housing, by all means come here.
I was raised in Springfield, Oregon when it was a small, dirty milltown. The mills went away, California moved in. I can remember when Springfields population topped 10,000. I moved to Bend when the population was 6,000, it is now 70,000+. I am seeking to locate a business in Lakeview. I realize that Lakeview too will be discovered. If you are seeking to make money on growth, Lakeview is the place for you!
If you are seeking to escape the problems of California and the other populated areas, Lakeview is a good choice. Just don't bring the problems you seek to escape with you, I am running out of places to run to.
I hope this is some help in your decision, and welcome to the redneck side of Oregon!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,068,348 times
Default Lakeview

Nice small town literally out in the middle of no where.

As someone else said, it's not the place to go for boutique shopping, but it has the necessities of life, which is just as well because the nearest town of any signifigance is Klamath Falls 100 miles to the west.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 25,852 times
Is it very windy in Lakeview?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 34,528 times
I have lived in Lakeview since 1971, and for raising kids or to just get away from the hustle and bustle of the city chaos, this is the place to do it. We are a small community with close knit ties and a great and friendly attitude, we do have our share of problems like all places, but on a much lower scale. Lakeview is in the stages of growing, but at a very scaled back pace. The state opened a minimum security prison just north of town known as the Warner Creek correctional facility, people thaught it would have an negative impact on the community, but as it turns out it has been pretty positive. The work crews from the facility are a big help and work hard and diligently, and are very well mannered. It is small and works with the community in all aspects. Lakeview is an all seasons climate, we have had fairly mild winters the past few years, and especially this year. It gets warm and sunny in the summer here which opens up loads to do if u are into the outdoors. for much more info u should contact the Lakeview chamber of commerce, they have their own website, and if u decide to come this way, well welcome...

Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 34,528 times
windy, not that much at all, we sit in a valley that is situated in a way that we do not see winds on a constant basis, we have had a few storms that have kicked the winds up, but nothing over 40 to 50 mph since I have lived here.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:08 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,936,902 times
I have visited and stayed overnight in Lakeview, Oregon, a couple years ago. We drove over from the Coast to the Modoc County area in Northern California to visit the obsidian fields and lava beds and were told that the only services available were to head back to Lakeview for the night. I remember it having a nice motel but could not find any fast-food restuarants so ate at a nice, clean, and friendly family Asian restaurant. I wasn't aware that there was a correctional facility nearby as poster Rtrotts stated above unless it is very recent so that may have changed the economy there. I was thinking it was maybe a large farming area because at the particular time of year that we went they were harvesting the onions and garlic and YUMMMM, the whole area smelled like an Italian restaurant. I'm sure I'll be back through that area again soon for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon