U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,558 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to either Ashland or Medford from the Southwest to escape the year round heat.

I was looking at average salaries in the health services. It looks like if I could find a job in my area I'd stand to make about the mid 40s in Oregon. That's considerably lower than what I make now in Arizona, and the cost of living looks about the same. So I'm worried about whether I could make a go of it out there.

Could I afford to live there, support my son (who eats a lot), and buy a home on that salary, and still travel sometimes? I would prefer to live in Ashland and would probably start with a rental.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM

279 posts, read 1,038,560 times
Hi there - my husband and I lived in both Medford and Ashland. Ashland is more expensive in housing and there is a town sales tax imposed on food (I think it was just dining out). Medford did not have this food tax and is less expensive in cost of housing. A lot of people prefer Ashland for the shops & culture, but there are some very nice communities in Medford and some nice parks (I really liked Bear Creek Park).

We've lived in a number of states now, and this was by far the most expensive as far as gas and groceries. Yes, you don't pay sales tax, but you pay higher prices overall for groceries and household items (kleenex was $2.50 a box - for the little square one). I remember seeing a $15 organic pineapple in one of the natural food stores in Ashland. I hope it was good if anyone bought it! (I did not). Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,559 times
Ashland is very expensive to live but people love it for the culture and shops, plus Ashland has Southern Oregon University. I have lived in Ashland and Medford and can tell you rents and buying a home is very expensive in Ashland and alot of the rentals are not that nice because of the college students. Ashland does have the food tax on dining out. Medford has some nice areas as well but some areas you want to stay out of for living. Rents are pretty ok, I pay $650.00 a month for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 930 sq ft apartment with a dishwasher, washer and dryer (they come with the apartment) and central heat and air. When I lived in Ashland I paid $650 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment with no central heat or air, we had individual heaters in each room which was expensive and was smaller then where I live, we did have a washer dryer hook up but you had to buy your own washer and dryer and use window air conditioners but they had everyone move so they could turn them into condos to sell for 250,000+, so you dont get alot for your money in Ashland and where I live in medford I am only about 7 miles from Ashland. Hope this helps. You may also want to look into Central Point. Jacksonville is expensive as well, but Central Point is alittle further out but has some nice areas and some reasonable housing.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 PM

10,949 posts, read 19,358,816 times
There is a Veteran's Hospital in Medford, you may want to check out employment opportunities there.

Living in Medford is definitely cheaper than Ashland. Home prices are going through an 'adjustment' in Medford so you may find an affordable home to purchase in a year.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM

68 posts, read 339,771 times
Medford (population is about 85,000 including phoenix/talent area) is a typical valley city; nice areas, not-so-nice areas and high crime areas. Meth usage and distro is high, even by valley standards, and stats rival CA cities like modesto and delano. housing costs were slightly higher in medford than in northern oregon a few years ago, but as home prices adjust all across SO, you're more likely to find something now in a decent area for $250,000-400,000.

Ashland (population is about 20,000) is really, really nice, but expensive. Crime is not a problem in Ashland the way it is in medford, but you're also paying more for just about everything. I go into ashland all the time, and in some ways, it reminds me alot of a REALLY small San Francisco.

If you can afford it, I'd say Ashland over Medford. However, if you live on a budget and need to be directly in a larger city (for work, or whatever), you'll have to take medford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon