Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get some feedback on the commute to and from these areas. Due to getting an advantageous housing arrangement, my next move looks to be to Tillamook where I would commute to "civilization."

I'm quite aware of the length and with some legwork Google-style, I came across TCTD-Tillamook County Transportation District. How reliable is it? If I could avoid doing long drives, I'd prefer it, especially when the weather starts getting nasty so this appears on paper to be a desirable solution to getting from points A-B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 PM

36 posts, read 218,002 times
Default Commuting from Tillamook to the Valley

I work for a company in the Beaverton area and split my week between living in North Tillamook County working from home, and living in Portland and working at the office. So I end up going out to the the Coast and back once a week. If you will be living in Tillamook proper, you will most like use Highway 6 to commute. To be safe, give yourself 2 hours to get from downtown Tillamook to downtown Beaverton via Highway 6. If all goes right it's less than 90min but it seem like there's always a slow logging truck, RV, or construction somewhere along the way.

The Tillamook bus is a great way to go. You can relax, read, work, enjoy the scenery instead of having to deal with driving. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to drive one way for less than $7.50 in gas. Buy your $15.00 roundtrip ticket from the driver when you get on the bus and be sure to have correct change. Then sit back and enjoy the ride to 185th/Tanasbourne where you can pick up local TriMet buses or on to Sunset Transit Center where you can get buses/MAX.

The Tillamook bus is pretty reliable. It usually leaves/arrives within 15 minutes of the schedule times, often arriving early. I use it in the winter when I don't want to deal with driving through the Coast Range. Unless the highways are closed, the bus is normally running. Even when Highway 6 is closed, they will often just detour to Highway 26. If there is snow or a detour, then you need to allow extra time for the trip, but you should still get there.

The first bus arrives in Beaverton around 10AM and the last bus leaves for Tillamook around 3PM. My work hours are pretty flexible so this works for me, if you have a more traditional 9-5 job it might not work so well.

Oh, and if you would like to get off the bus route other than at the scheduled stops, they can often accomodate you if you call the dispatch office at least a day in advance.

Good Luck, maybe I'll see you on the bus someday!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:35 AM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
The winter commute over the 6 would be hell. Live closer to work.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Couldn't say it any better. Even if the housing in Tillamook was being 'given' away it still wouldn't be worth a daily commute into Beaverton.

H

Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
Yeah. Hwy. 6 gets icy every winter. I wouldn't do it.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:40 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
+1. Hwy 6 in the winter is one of the most dangerous highways in the state.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 AM

49 posts, read 138,694 times
Yes. As a young couple, we lived in Oceanside, OR (right by Tillamook) for six years. Hwy 6 is VERY DANGEROUS. My hubby did that commute several times a week to Portland Adventist Hospital. He says after all these years of travelling and working around the country, that that particular stretch between Hillsboro/Beaverton and Tillamook is the WORST as far as danger - by far - that we have ever driven. Icy (very) during winter, no lighting hardly at all, dropoffs off into ocean cliffs, etc. Many times we remember the State patrols on radio telling everyone the road was clear and fine - and it WAS NOT. Tillamook and North County have had cheap housing for many years. Commuting for residents to Beaverton/Hillsboro never has really caught on for a darn good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon