Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I don't think omega 3s and exercise are feel good tricks. My experience with SAD is living with someone who has it and is successful and now (very) happy with Fish Oil, regular exercise and Vitamin D. He was miserable before and did try light therapy, which didn't work well for him.
That's just about proof positive that SAD turned out to be an incorrect diagnosis for this person (false-positive diagnoses for SAD are common because SAD is diagnosed by exclusion; there is no "gold standard test"). Someone who actually had SAD would show no response to fish oil or vitamins, which have no effect on seratonin manufacture or reuptake (though exercise might). Someone with actual SAD should show at least some response to light therapy. This person was probably just Vitamin D deficient, a condition that can also result in its own mood disorder as a secondary outcome. Insufficient UVb radiation can cause both Vitamin D deficiency and SAD, but the two conditions are not otherwise related.

One of the characteristics that is often used to differentiate the two is that SAD sufferers tend to have an intense carbohydrate craving during the low-light times of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
That's just about proof positive that SAD turned out to be an incorrect diagnosis for this person (false-positive diagnoses for SAD are common because SAD is diagnosed by exclusion; there is no "gold standard test"). Someone who actually had SAD would show no response to fish oil or vitamins, which have no effect on seratonin manufacture or reuptake (though exercise might). Someone with actual SAD should show at least some response to light therapy. This person was probably just Vitamin D deficient, a condition that can also

One of the characteristics that is often used to differentiate the two is that SAD sufferers tend to have an intense carbohydrate craving during the low-light times of the year.
I find it interesting that you can diagnose someone you've never met.
You're neglecting to respond to the most important thing that he does to combat it--ride his bike EVERYWHERE. I'm talking about commuting by bike daily about 20 miles round trip. This was to get OFF the meds he was originally prescribed. With intense exercise and supplements he's been able to combat it and is happy. Light therapy worked "a bit" but not enough to prevent medication, which he wasn't happy with as it caused him to gain weight.

He actually does have an intense carb cravings which is probably also why he gained so much weight initially.

I think people respond to things in different ways, SAD or not. I also should add that studies do show that Fish Oil can help with depression/mood and that someone with darker skin in Oregon will particularly be helped by Vitamin D, which he has.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
Originally Posted by Steve97415
That's just about proof positive that SAD turned out to be an incorrect diagnosis for this person (false-positive diagnoses for SAD are common because SAD is diagnosed by exclusion; there is no "gold standard test").

As SAD is a nebulous "diagnosis", and of course given that we are all, each one, "unique" and complex, no one remedy would be a fit/cure for all. If someone feels better doing a particular thing, then I say great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon