Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 16,918 times

Advertisements

Hi!
Can anyone tell me about living in Oceanside Oregon? We are considering a move there and are currently looking for employment in Tillamook.
Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:33 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Oceanside has some of the most expensive homes in Oregon. It's very quaint and IMHO it's the crown jewel community on the Oregon Coast.

Residents are fiercely fighting every attempt to change it's charm. You won't find the typical tourist traps that have ruined Cannon Beach and Manzanita.

You'll find about 1/3 of the households to be permanent residents, about 1/3 part time (typically "well healed" 2nd homeowners from the Portland area) and about 1/3 are vacation rentals. (which the locals aren't too fond of).

Employment in nearby Tillamook isn't that great. The money from logging and fishing is drying up. The rest is dairy farming and service industry jobs but since Tillamook is inland it doesn't get near the tourist $'s like Lincoln City and Seaside. That's both a good thing and a bad thing.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:08 PM

190 posts, read 848,987 times
I keep hearing that there is a large fissure in the ocean floor off Oregon and Washington that will slip sometime (soon?) and cause a devastating tsunami like the one in Indonesia in 2004. I'd love to live on the coast there but I worry about a tsunami. Anyone else concerned about that?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
Hi Joey. I think every place has risks (I was in California and lived through a scary earthquake). I guess I am just a fatalist, in that I think you prepare the best you can for the catastrophe which you think might hit your area, and then you live your life. As far as the coast, we know what to look for or hear (siren), and we have a tsunami map with the designated meeting places known, and emergency supplies. I actually worry more about driving my car when I see those crazy drivers.

Hey, lovetheocean, I love your name.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
I have no worries about a tsunami.....i figure, if it happens, it happens. Theres too many wonderful things about living alongside the ocean for me to worry about something that may possibly happen here, but never has in my lifetime. Truthfully, i worry more about terrorist attacks than i do tsunamis. Not that i think the Oregon coast is threatened too much by that either.
I agree with OregonBeachlover (who also has a very cool screenname!)
And we keep basic prep kit on hand, but dont live our lives around it.
Me, the Tsunami zone signs still just crack me up to no end. The little picture of the running man just kills me!!! LOL!!!
Tiff

Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Plus, this earthquake that will cause the tsunami may happen tomorrow, or it may happen in 300 years. There's no way of knowing. On a timeline of averages we are due for one, but looking at the whole scale it may still be centuries away. It will only happen, at MOST, once in your lifetime so I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 16,918 times
Default Oceanside, Oregon

Thanks so much to all that replied.
We are considering purchasing a lot in Trillium. The prices have come down quite a bit and we feel that now is definitely the time to by. The lots with views are a little more but well worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon