Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:35 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,822 times

Advertisements

Grants Pass has been in the news quite a bit lately with some extremely violent and gruesome crimes / murders. Is this increasing set of circumstances or the new norm, or has it always been like this?

Is it drugs, poverty, lack of police, or all of the above?

Last edited by gray horse; 07-26-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
I've never lived there bt have been a frequent driver-by. To me it's just an ugly town in the middle of a beautiful valley.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 PM

135 posts, read 134,690 times
Default Josephine County doesn't have police

due to cutbacks. That is probably why.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
We live in the mountains but have done our grocery shopping & buying goods in Grants Pass for 29 years.

It is my understanding that the police & firefighters in Grants Pass work together, to keep the town safe.

Josephine County Online-Sheriff Homepage

The Sheriff's office has had layoff's/cutbacks.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 AM

There is some crime in all town's. There are many good, kind, caring folks in Grants Pass, proud of their town.

You can do a search for local news in the Daily Courier Newspaper. You might have to pay for part of the content now.

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Downtown Web Cam

You can get the News on kobi5 tv

http://kobi5.com/

also the Mail Tribune.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mailtribune.com

Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Grants Pass has been in the news quite a bit lately with some extremely violent and gruesome crimes / murders. Is this increasing set of circumstances or the new norm, or has it always been like this?

Is it drugs, poverty, lack of police, or all of the above?
Grants Pass proper isn't a crime ridden place at all, they have a pretty good police force and it is funded by the people of the city of Grants Pass. Now if you mean Josephine County well, the people of the county have chosen not to fund the sheriff department and the sheriff department is responsible for law enforcement within the county, the ole saying, "you get what you pay for", in this case "you get what you don't pay for" and that is high crime rate.

Josephine County has one of the lowest property tax rates in the state and property tax is what funds the county infrastructure. If the citizens of Josephine County chose not to fund the county then they have to live with their choices. While they are living with the choice they have made, there are people in the county who will exploit the opportunity of a reduced police force thereby increasing the overall crime rate.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I like the downtown area of Grants Pass, there are some interesting small shops and restaurants and a fairly lively bar music scene (for such a small town). The Rogue Theater is a lovely venue with national quality touring acts.

It was on the list of places I looked at when moving into the Rogue Valley. Since I was moving out of an area with severe county funding problems, even though I did like the city, I chose not to move back into the middle of the same problem.

As for a poster above's point: a lot of people "pass through" the cities in the Rogue Valley and think they have actually seen what the cities are like - Grants Pass, like Ashland and Medford and Central Point, is away from the highway and it takes more than a quick stop for gas to actually see what the core city and neighborhoods are like.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 07-28-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We live in the mountains but have done our grocery shopping & buying goods in Grants Pass for 29 years.

It is my understanding that the police & firefighters in Grants Pass work together, to keep the town safe.

Josephine County Online-Sheriff Homepage

The Sheriff's office has had layoff's/cutbacks.
Grants Pass has its own police department. The Oregon State Police have been providing basic 911 service in the county. There has been some discussion of charging county residents for the service, but I don't think it has gone anywhere yet. It would have been up to the legislature, I think.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 PM

I heard on Medford 12 News today that Grants Pass folks give the children playing in the Grants Pass Parks, free summer lunch's......That's very thoughtful of them.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've never lived there bt have been a frequent driver-by. To me it's just an ugly town in the middle of a beautiful valley.
I always thought downtown GP had lots of potential. Some nice architecture to their old buildings, a couple of decent eats and cute shops. Like many small towns, there were a lot of vacancies downtown, but the charm is there to be built upon.

There is a great glass shop there and they let you blow glass ornaments, etc. The owner is super nice and my daughter had a great time blowing an ornament for our tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon