Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:03 PM

19 posts, read 145,296 times

Advertisements

I was not born or raised in Oregon but have lived here for almost four years now. My question is what is up with not being able to pump my own gas? I am getting really tired of waiting on an attendant to get to me so I can wait some more. Sometimes I feel like I could be done pumping the gas myself before I get any service at all. Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? The rest of the country doesn't have a problem letting the public pump it's own gas...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Wow, you guys still have actual service stations? I didn't anyone had those anymore.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM

19 posts, read 145,296 times
"Wow, you guys still have actual service stations? I didn't anyone had those anymore."

Just in case you don't know it is ILLEGAL to pump your own gas in Oregon. I had no idea the first time I pulled up to a gas station here. The attendant about bit my head off when I grabbed the pump and put it in my car...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:20 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
As I recall, backlash from Oregonians was large enough to get lawmakers to write into law a bill requiring Gas Stations operating in their state to provide full service. The ladies do not like the smell of gas and the ladies in Oregon always get their way. Oregon being the first class state that it is thinks you should be treated like royalty when it comes to having your gas pumped by a professional.

As a side note, I helped a lot of little old ladies and some elderly gentlemen in California learn how to swipe their credit card and answer the questions required before you can pump your own gas.

Dan

Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 92,703 times
Default Let them pump the gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by klove1228 View Post
I was not born or raised in Oregon but have lived here for almost four years now. My question is what is up with not being able to pump my own gas? I am getting really tired of waiting on an attendant to get to me so I can wait some more. Sometimes I feel like I could be done pumping the gas myself before I get any service at all. Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? The rest of the country doesn't have a problem letting the public pump it's own gas...
No I don't want to pump my own gas if I don't have to.
I heard rumors years ago that they wanted that law to save the gas attendants jobs. I guess there were multiple reasons for that law. Anyways we are different here in Oregon.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 AM

75 posts, read 269,845 times
my husband was visiting NJ for work and went to pump gas
and got yelled at by an attendant because he tried to pump his
own gas....it's funny when you don't know how other places are---
now we both know better....

Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
At first, it took some getting used to but now I like it this way. We still laugh when we cross the Oregon state line and remain inside the car until we realize we're spoiled now. lol. If you don't like your service, I'd change my station or maybe the time of day when I fill up. My vote is to keep it this way and anyways, it gives people jobs.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 PM

85 posts, read 644,341 times
I just figure when I move to Oregon I'll need to get gas on the way home from work not on the way to. That way the wait shouldn't bother me. I think life moves at a more leisurely pace in OR.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 PM

45 posts, read 256,086 times
Default Keeping Jobs

The reason that Oregon has workers pump the gas instead of the person handling the car was to keep employment where there could be. It was shown years ago when this law was passed that many gas stations throughout the nation were making quite a bit of profit. This law was to encourage the profit to go to the community a little bit by insisting that the gas stations pay for employees to pump the gas. If you notice, the gas prices didn't jump up much in Oregon just because people were being paid to pump it. That's a fear I keep hearing in other states if such a law was created. In truth, I suspect it is the gas stations that proclaim that fear in hopes that you don't take away their right to the fortune 500. I don't mean this for small mom & pop gas stations. I'm talking about the other 85%. If the law was dismissed, I suspect we would lose nearly a quarter percent of employment.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Let's leave the law the way it is. The gas attendents stay on the job and I don't have to pump my own gas.
When we travel out of state it's usually a wait just to pump your own gas. I seldom have to wait to get the gas pumped for me here in Oregon. I guess if you are in a large city then you may have to wait but you'd have to wait even to pump it yourself.

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-27-2006 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon